New Home build/New AV Studio.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I thought it about time that I gave an account of a very busy time for us. We have worked very hard these last two months to get out of our home on Benedict Lake. The large workshop, the AV studio and the 4,500 Sq foot home had to be packed up and parts sold.

We had an auction at the site on Saturday May 11. We were lucky as we had good weather. There was a carnival atmosphere with food truck serving hamburgers, sloppy Joes, and Walleye Sandwiches. 163 items in all were auctioned. We were only left with one pair of oars! The 1948 Willys CJ 2A Jeep was the high earner at $7000.00. The 1948 JD model A sold above its weight by $600.00 selling at $3,800.00. The new owner drove it to his 50 acre hobby farm near lake George, about 30 miles. He is over the moon with it, and has already plowed a field with a three bottom plow.

The 1958 JD 420 tractor did not make the money it should have at $3200,00. I think these tractors are so rare now that nobody knows what they are. It was bought by someone in Inver Grove Heights, and is just 5 miles from our new home. I have a feeling I will be looking after that tractor for the rest of my days.

Some things went higher than I expected. The 8' grader that went on the 3 point hitch of the model A, that I built 20 years ago to grade the road and plow snow fetched $560.00. That was quite a bit more then it cost me to build it 20 years ago. The bidding was fierce. I had been alerted that its unique design had created a lot of buzz from the picture on the auction poster.

An how the gross take for the day, $20,800,00.

Two large furniture trucks rolled in on Friday morning May 17 and we filled both of them in seven and a quarter hours. The weather was dry but cold. This is now in storage. We exchanged contracts and got our money last Wednesday May 22 in Bemidji. The new owners have now moved in.

This move was not helped by the atrocious weather since the beginning of last September. It was snowing when I took the boat off the lake on September 30.
The winter was cold and set in in October. There was lots of snow.

Huge snow banks pushed up by the JD Model A.

In Spring came the floods, which have not gone away. Most area rivers have been in flood for 2 months now. The lake is covering part of the lawn at our former lake home. Nice days have been few. Cold rains and mists have dominated. We have now gone though 9 months if unusually cold and turbulent weather. Today is the holiday of the first long weekend of the year and is regarded as the start of the summer season. However there is a continuous cold rain falling and we are on tap for another 2" of rain. We drove up to our home closing in Bemidji from Eagan and had cold driving rain the whole 250 miles.

All this has resulted in slow progress on our new home build in Eagan. The home an ICF which is poured reinforced concrete between insulated polystyrene forms which remain. We chose this construction because of rapidly escalating violence in the weather patterns and for reasons of energy efficiency. Homes and buildings have been blowing over literally on a daily basis across large areas of the US over the last several weeks, especially the mid west.

The footings were in late fall.

Then the snows moved south to the Cities.

Storm after storm slowed progress to a crawl.

This is the current state.

The rains have really hampered progress with equipment getting bogged and having to be winched out.

This is a view of the ground water lake from the back window.

I have made the steel anchors for the generator, and the barbecue at my old shop. I have made a template for the air compressor tank and the drill press. That went in last week when the floor was poured.

At the moment all the wet weather is preventing the driveway going in. That is really hampering the sub contractors as it is hard to get supplies in.

As soon as the plumbing and HVAC ducting is in, I can get ready to start the wiring and framing of the new AV studio. This will be bigger than the last and have three rows of three seats each tiered. Ceiling will be 9' instead of 8'. I think it will be a really nice space.

Torn down former AV studio.

We are to have the home move in ready at the end of September, but if the weather does not improve then it could be some time in October. It really is unfortunate that we have run into the coldest fall and Spring since records began, and one of the coldest snowiest winters. Unfortunately the projection is for a cold wet summer. I just hope we move in before the next snow flies!

Anyhow it is an exciting project with a lot of innovative features and I know when it is all complete we will be very happy there. There will be no steps to get into the home from any entry and there will be a hydraulic elevator between floors from day one. A big factor in the design has been nursing home avoidance. This is an ongoing exciting project.

I will do my best to keep you all updated, especially during the construction of the new studio, with pictures. I also have to build out an AV room for the new owners of our former home. So I'm going to be busy. I will try and post as many photographs as I can, as the build progresses.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Very nice!! Looks like no neighbors close by, but umm what's a Walleye sandwich? Oh wait I see some homes now, Doc, that's you in the pic? Man it's really beautiful by that lake.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Very nice!! Looks like no neighbors close by, but umm what's a Walleye sandwich? Oh wait I see some homes now, Doc, that's you in the pic? Man it's really beautiful by that lake.
Walleye is a fish of the pike family. It is a good eating fish and the most popular fish among sports fishermen of these northern lakes of the US and Canada.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Mark is right, walleye makes a great sandwich. I however, love sunfish tacos. Mmmmmm

Btw mark, looking really good.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Mark is right, walleye makes a great sandwich. I however, love sunfish tacos. Mmmmmm

Btw mark, looking really good.
Well down here in the deep South, some have been known the snack on alligator Adam's apples, or some very tasty cow's tongue. William I'd be glad to send you some possum stew?

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Walleye is a fish of the pike family. It is a good eating fish and the most popular fish among sports fishermen of these northern lakes of the US and Canada.

Thanks Doc, down here about the best we got is McDonald's fish sandwich.:( Best of luck with your new home and setting up your new HT room! When you get time post up photos of your HT room.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
William, I don't eat that! Just messing with you. But some down here eat pigs feet, hog head cheese, tripe yuk!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve seen some of that bayou “cuisine” lol. Hey, to each his own! A lot of that stuff turns my stomach just thinkin about it, but that’s just me. I could probably get into som crawfish though! possum stew? Might not be too bad...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Time to update and give an account of progress in the last three weeks or so.

I went up to the mill shop A & K cabinets in Albany MN to start work with the owner Neil. He is a really competent chap. We started work at 7:30 AM. Albany is 106 miles west of here in Eagan, so I had to rise early.

The first item of business was to get the data for the four cabinets of the design for my in wall system in the the main living area into his computer for the C & C machine. We also put in the dimensions for the ceiling boxes for the theater. The theater is a 7.1.4 design.

The we were ready to start work.

Niel's new C & C machine.

One of the right and left sealed speakers. Each MTM has its own enclosure. In a sealed design the woofers are inclined to drive each other so it is best to put each driver in its dedicated space. This is not often done in commercial designs, but should be.

The three way center is also sealed.

In wall TL Sub.

We had all these 8 speakers built and loaded in my vehicle in eight and a half hours.

The C & C failed to to make the speaker cut outs and rebates, as the boards would not stay still. We had to do those by hand. Neil was not happy.

The four speaker enclosures installed for the 3.1 system.

Custom cabinets will go in to the right and left of the sub. Peripheral and pre/pro on the left, power amps on the right. It is a big space and 250 watts will be devoted to each speaker.

F3 of R,C,L is 80 Hz. F3 of the sub is 27 Hz, with second order roll off. With an 80 Hz crossover on the pre/pro that will make a perfect fourth order LR crossover at 80 Hz. Measurements will follow after completion September/October time frame.

Now to the theater progress.

Conduit installed for speakers.

Looking towards rear of studio.

One of the four sealed enclosures for the ceiling speakers, which will be Jordan Watts full range drivers.

F3 will be 120 Hz.

So there you have the progress so far.

My 65" Panny Plasma will go to the lower living room. I have bought an LG C9 77" OLED for the studio. That is the first screen I have seen that can compare with the Panny Plasma. No LED screens can get close in my view.

So I will continue these updates as construction proceeds.

annunaki

annunaki

Excellent progress and very nice layout all around. I am curious, your F3 points, some seem a little high for main/center speakers, and even your rears. Did you assume the approximate room gains on all of these when designing to allow for a balanced room/speaker/sub integration? You are very thoughtful in your approach to design so wanted to understand that aspect of it better.

Thanks again for sharing and looking forward to more updates along the way.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you for your excellent questions.

Audio and speakers in particular are the sum of compromises, the possible and the practical.

So I will explain the reasoning for this design

First of all the space available and where was predetermined.

Next this system will be primarily for watching TV. We will have music I expect working in the kitchen. Therefore natural speech, and speech clarity, are of prime importance.

This is a large space to fill, yet equipment space is limited, and it must be discreet when complete. Yet the speakers need to be powerful.

So the RCL speakers are sealed. This keeps them small and you can control Q. They also roll off second order so with second order high pass and fourth order low pass which is built into the pre/pro you come to a fourth order LR crossover.

Now with those constraints the boxes must be fairly small. For good speech you don't want high Q drivers. These would lower F3 but at the expense of high Q and rise in output (ripple) before roll off. This would spoil speech clarity.

So drivers were selected with good acoustic response, and a robust motor system with 2.5 inch voice coils and acceptably low Q. So this gives an f3 of 80 Hz second order roll off with insignificant ripple. Qtc 0.7.

Now for the bass I favor quality over quantity. So I had to select a 10" driver with an acceptable VAS and F3 mid twenties. This TL will give high quality bass non resonant with low Q. Roll off is second order, so there will be plenty of output down to 20 Hz. In addition from my experience with pipes they fill a space better than other designs. So I think there actually will be pretty uniform natural bass throughout the space. We will have to see what happens here. There was no space for a larger TL. In any event for critical listening with state of the art performance the AV theater is upstairs. This I think will turn out to be a gorgeous space.

The crucial center will have a potent midrange that will handle the whole speech discrimination band from 400 Hz to 4 KHz. The tweeter will be 3/4 inch with a very flat acoustic response.

So despite this being in wall, I'm hoping that this will be a very neutral system with very good natural clear speech. Those are the design goals anyway.

A project like this really does highlight the advantages of leaning the art of audio system design. This system absolutely could not be constructed or built round commercially available products.

I and everybody else will have to wait on the final results come the fall. I will publish the results warts and all.

I invite members to keep questions coming. This system has presented unique challenges that I have enjoyed juggling and toying with.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The C & C failed to to make the speaker cut outs and rebates, as the boards would not stay still. We had to do those by hand. Neil was not happy.
What was the problem?
I am used to these systems holding the sheet goods down against a high friction surface by using a vacuum (in manufacturing facilities). If doing a small project, the rest of the table would be covered by cardboard to prevent too much loss of vacuum.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What was the problem?
I am used to these systems holding the sheet goods down against a high friction surface by using a vacuum (in manufacturing facilities). If doing a small project, the rest of the table would be covered by cardboard to prevent too much loss of vacuum.
I really don't know what the problem was. I did not look into it closely. The machine was built locally in St Cloud a few mils to the East of that shop in Albany,

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So here is the update I promised on the construction of the new AV room/studio and theater.

I will try not omit key points.

The sheet rock is up and they are taping today. Tomorrow mudding should begin. All of the cavities in the room behind walls and flooring have been packed and deadened. I did that with my 15 year old grandson who is being a huge help in this project.

So here is what the front of the room looks like now.

This is a view to the rear of the room. Note a couple of ceiling boxes for the JW drivers that will be the four ceiling speakers.

Note that the I have run the cabling for the actively biamped rear back speakers. Those speakers will be taken out of storage and put on site for installation tomorrow. The owner of the mill shop is coming to take measurements for all of the mill work for the house Wednesday. He wants the rear back speakers in place so he gets the dimensions correct for the mill work at the back of the room.

This will be the nerve center of the IT, TV and FM systems. Those orange Tech Tubes carry all these cables to the required locations all over the house. This will allow for easy cable changes as required over the years.

This is the conduit tubing for the the wiring to the three front speakers and the HDMI and Internet cables. There is a large tech tube going to the adjacent room to carry cables that can link my two channel system to the studio. I am going to arrange it so that the next door room can be used for recording monitored in the studio with talk back from the DAW.

Conduit for rear backs, left surround and Atmos speakers.

My wife's little system in the main level great room, is now behind the sheet rock.

That has I think caught you up to date for now. There will now be a hiatus.

Before any more construction and build out of the systems can proceed further, mudding and painting have to finish. We need the HVAC system up and running. We need the house secure and the security system up and running. There is also mill work to install. The three studio mid Atlantic racks are in town, but not on site.

So I will post next after construction on the systems recommences as the construction of the home is at a point where further build out makes sense.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Can't wait Doc, to see your HT room up and running. Very sweet indeed!! Best of luck Sir!!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The house build has progressed to the point I could make further progress this week.

The walls are primed and the wood floor in downstairs. The elevator is working but the car not complete. The siding is on. The AC was brought up last week and that makes for decent working conditions

Trimpac have delivered the trim and doors and trim out should start next week. We are waiting for the mill work. A lot of the tiling is done.

After that it is paint and the rest of the plumbing and electrical. Finally carpets and driveway.

So I had the Canadian Mid Atlantic racks delivered on Monday. I had the DAW and turntable cases taken out of storage that day also.

So this has been the progress this week.

By Monday evening.

By Tuesday evening.

Today

With the help of my 16 year old grandson we have run all the speaker wire.

We have now passed 600 ft of Belden 10 AWG speaker wire. Here are the empty 500 ft and 100 ft drums.

The number of amp channels has now increased from 14 to 18.

The wiring ready for the front three.

The left surround wire, plus rear backs and four Atmos ceiling speakers.

Wiring to the front three and front Atmos speakers.

Wiring to left surround, rear back and rear Atmos speakers.

This is the nerve center of the IT TV and FM distribution for the house including the IT connection to the generator.
I was relived to find I had got all this in the right place prior to this install! I made card board cut outs of the bases of the racks and cases and stapled them to the floor to assist in correct locations.

So that is the progress for now. The build had not progressed enough for more work on my wife's supper WAF system, but I will build the crossovers tomorrow on the kitchen table.

The front of the amp case and the trim pieces are done. I will have them professionally finished by the outfit doing the mill work.

On Monday I will paint the studio chase and then build the test equipment bay.

That will be as far as I can go until work on the house progresses further.

I will paint my main workshop after that and build it out. The anchors for the compressor and drill press were placed when the floor was poured.

I need to get this done, as the back patio and generator pad will be poured next week. I made the mounting for the outside kitchen/barbecue before I left my big shop at Benedict. I also made the mount for the generator and have test fitted it. The steel anchors and attached wood frame for the outside kitchen were placed in Sonotubes a couple of weeks ago.

I will let the concrete cure for a couple of weeks before building out the outside kitchen. I need the main workshop, as I need to fabricate the frames that support the brick around the two triple drawer units out of steel for fire code. The can be nothing flammable within 18" of the 36" grill.

Also I am going to fabricate the trim frames for the super WAF system out of aluminum. These will be spray painted to match the trim.

I can not bring in the right and left main studio speakers until the carpet is in.

We are hoping to move into the home Monday October 7. It may be tough to meet that though.

I will continue to update on a regular basis as significant progress is made.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Just seeing all that wonderful progress makes me smile. I love project overkill. Love it. And seeing you do your stuff in that over the top way just makes me happy. I bet its going to sound fantastic. I hope it meets your expectations. Your last setup was pretty impressive. I hope you can get this one to sound as well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Just seeing all that wonderful progress makes me smile. I love project overkill. Love it. And seeing you do your stuff in that over the top way just makes me happy. I bet its going to sound fantastic. I hope it meets your expectations. Your last setup was pretty impressive. I hope you can get this one to sound as well.
Yes, I suppose "over the top" is one way to put it! I am relived that I have got this far without personally being responsible for any hold ups. Unfortunately this project has fallen way behind schedule, three months behind to date. Keeping this build on track has taken most of my energy. However we will get to the end, and before the snow flies again, but only may be by a month.

Anyhow thank you for you kind words. I will do my best to keep you entertained. So follow this spot!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
The house build has progressed to the point I could make further progress this week.

The walls are primed and the wood floor in downstairs. The elevator is working but the car not complete. The siding is on. The AC was brought up last week and that makes for decent working conditions

Trimpac have delivered the trim and doors and trim out should start next week. We are waiting for the mill work. A lot of the tiling is done.

After that it is paint and the rest of the plumbing and electrical. Finally carpets and driveway.

So I had the Canadian Mid Atlantic racks delivered on Monday. I had the DAW and turntable cases taken out of storage that day also.

So this has been the progress this week.

By Monday evening.

By Tuesday evening.

Today

With the help of my 16 year old grandson we have run all the speaker wire.

We have now passed 600 ft of Belden 10 AWG speaker wire. Here are the empty 500 ft and 100 ft drums.

The number of amp channels has now increased from 14 to 18.

The wiring ready for the front three.

The left surround wire, plus rear backs and four Atmos ceiling speakers.

Wiring to the front three and front Atmos speakers.

Wiring to left surround, rear back and rear Atmos speakers.

This is the nerve center of the IT TV and FM distribution for the house including the IT connection to the generator.
I was relived to find I had got all this in the right place prior to this install! I made card board cut outs of the bases of the racks and cases and stapled them to the floor to assist in correct locations.

So that is the progress for now. The build had not progressed enough for more work on my wife's supper WAF system, but I will build the crossovers tomorrow on the kitchen table.

The front of the amp case and the trim pieces are done. I will have them professionally finished by the outfit doing the mill work.

On Monday I will paint the studio chase and then build the test equipment bay.

That will be as far as I can go until work on the house progresses further.

I will paint my main workshop after that and build it out. The anchors for the compressor and drill press were placed when the floor was poured.

I need to get this done, as the back patio and generator pad will be poured next week. I made the mounting for the outside kitchen/barbecue before I left my big shop at Benedict. I also made the mount for the generator and have test fitted it. The steel anchors and attached wood frame for the outside kitchen were placed in Sonotubes a couple of weeks ago.

I will let the concrete cure for a couple of weeks before building out the outside kitchen. I need the main workshop, as I need to fabricate the frames that support the brick around the two triple drawer units out of steel for fire code. The can be nothing flammable within 18" of the 36" grill.

Also I am going to fabricate the trim frames for the super WAF system out of aluminum. These will be spray painted to match the trim.

I can not bring in the right and left main studio speakers until the carpet is in.

We are hoping to move into the home Monday October 7. It may be tough to meet that though.

I will continue to update on a regular basis as significant progress is made.
Beautiful home and project overall...having done 2 (both here in GA), I know them to be exhausting but fun projects.

You’ve hit drywall stage, so here you would be in the fast lane here (no more inspections after fireproofing until pre CO) Gott hustle for OCt 7th if that’s still in play.

Looks awesome so far, and I’m sure very rewarding when you finish it.

Congrats!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis