Audiophyte just starting to build a home theater system

R

Rezmo

Audiophyte
I am just starting out and moving away from a Klipsch soundbar/wireless sub setup to something more substantial. Over the last month or so, I have been doing my research (mostly Audioholic youtube videos) and am about ready to make a significant set of purchases. Before I do, I would appreciate a quick sanity check on the system I have built in my head. The only equipment purchased so far for my new upgrade is a Marantz SR7012 that I found on clearance at a local home theater store's website.

A couple notes about my room:
1) 16' 10" (TV wall) x 11' 6"
2) Due to an 18' vaulted and pitched ceiling, I do not think Dolby Atmos or even ceiling speakers are possible. It also opens to a kitchen with a large island which makes rear channel speakers difficult, but not impossible.
3) Light green accent wall that stylistically makes me want white speakers.

The system in my head:
1) LG 65" OLED C9
2) Kef R3 Bookshelf speakers on stands
3) Kef R2C Center channel on entertainment center
4) Subs: either 1 SVS PB-3000 or 2 SVS PB-2000s.
(a) Note: I know they don't come in white, but SVS reviews just seem too good.
(b) I have also considered Kef 400b (1), MartinLogan 600x (2), REL T5i (2)

Any thoughts, critiques, or alternatives are welcomed.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can't go wrong with Kef and SVS. Between one PB-3000 and two PB-2000s, I would go with the 2000s.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed with shady.
Except, I would absolutely go for atmos and install these pendant speakers from JBL.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Agreed with shady.
Except, I would absolutely go for atmos and install these pendant speakers from JBL.
Pendant speakers are made for an entirely different kind of installation. I don't know how well they would work in Atmos. Dolby wants a certain kind of dispersion for height speakers. Also, pendant speakers are usually expected to be powered from a pro-audio amp, so their impedance load might not be optimal for an AVR. But maybe they would be OK for an Atmos height channel. It would be interesting to investigate. One speaker that I do think would work well for Atmos height speakers that are not home audio speakers is the JBL SCS-08.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Pendant speakers are made for an entirely different kind of installation. I don't know how well they would work in Atmos. Dolby wants a certain kind of dispersion for height speakers. Also, pendant speakers are usually expected to be powered from a pro-audio amp, so their impedance load might not be optimal for an AVR. But maybe they would be OK for an Atmos height channel. It would be interesting to investigate. One speaker that I do think would work well for Atmos height speakers that are not home audio speakers is the JBL SCS-08.
Fair points. A little deeper dive would be in order. However my hunch is that these would be a wide dispersion speaker and would work well. I’ll look a little more into them before recommending further, but I still think they’d work well, and be height adjustable to keep them level.

R

Rezmo

Audiophyte
Fair points. A little deeper dive would be in order. However my hunch is that these would be a wide dispersion speaker and would work well. I’ll look a little more into them before recommending further, but I still think they’d work well, and be height adjustable to keep them level.
Thank you for the recommendation. I will do a little more research myself.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another consideration for vaulted ceilings (one I'm looking at for myself) would SVS' Prime Elevation speakers. If the pitch is right the the drivers would angle straight down.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Another consideration for vaulted ceilings (one I'm looking at for myself) would SVS' Prime Elevation speakers. If the pitch is right the the drivers would angle straight down.
That’s why I used rsl c34e’s. But I think OP will have a problem with the 18’ ceiling height. Unless he can do “height” locations vs tops, which wouldn’t be ideal, but might be good enough.

R

Rezmo

Audiophyte
That’s why I used rsl c34e’s. But I think OP will have a problem with the 18’ ceiling height. Unless he can do “height” locations vs tops, which wouldn’t be ideal, but might be good enough.
OP here. I will do some research on these and maybe add to the system in the future. After I get the initial setup completed, my next project will be some room setup like rugs and curtains. Thank you for the ideas.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
OP here. I will do some research on these and maybe add to the system in the future. After I get the initial setup completed, my next project will be some room setup like rugs and curtains. Thank you for the ideas.
Sorry for the hit n run posts. I’m on a family vacation. You know, unplugged...

Anyway, at 18’high, I believe that’s well out of spec and might pose a few problems integrating into the room and system. That’s why I suggested the pendant style speakers. Their are other manufacturers that make them too. Maybe they’ll be more to taste or AVR friendly, although I believe the JBL’s are too.
Maybe some pics?
You might also consider some SVS prime elevation speakers and use “height” locations too. Not ideal, but lots of guys use them and report good results.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis