M

mandre39

Audiophyte
I am thinking about changing my receiver which is a Yamaha Rx-A740. I am wanting to change because it doesn’t have Dolby Atmos and I am installing ceiling speakers in two rooms. I went online and found a Marantz SR6012 and a Yamaha RX-A880. I’m having trouble deciding which one. Any ideas anyone.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Marantz +1, fir a lil more you could up you game plan and get a near flagship unit. Either Marantz Yamaha or Denon would do the job fine.

Last edited:
M

mandre39

Audiophyte
I have very little knowledge with Marantz. Yamaha I know have been around for years and have made good quality.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Yamaha has a good reliability record. The AVR I have now TSR-7790 I picked up refurb for 299.00 over two years ago at accessories4less. Has pre-amp outs but no Atmos or DTS-X. Does 4K upscale TrueHD MasterAudio, Burr-Brown chips on all channels. I can't do Atmos in my apartment anyway. Yamaha has given me 5 updates since I've had it, been rock solid.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There are many AH members who own Marantz, Denon, and Yamaha.

I used to be "all-Denon" for a long time. I had some bad experiences with Panurgy, which is the company that does all the Denon/Marantz repair/refurbish.

After my Denon AVP-A1HDCI died after 8 years, I decided to give Yamaha a try. So now I am on the Yamaha wagon.

Marantz/Denon vs Yamaha?

In Direct/Stereo/Straight modes (not using any EQ or DSP), they sound the same.

You might want to check out the thread about Denon/Marantz vs Yamaha.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/denon-marantz-vs-yamaha-vs-anthem-thread.112865/

Short version:

1. I think D/M has better AUTOMATIC Room EQ (Audyssey XT32), but Yamaha has better MANUAL EQ (Parametric EQ).

2. Yamaha probably has the edge in reliability and HDMI compatibility.

3. IMO, the Denon apps (Remote control, AirPlay) suck 100%. Yamaha's apps (remote control, MusicCast) are 100% better.

4. Denon/Marantz seems to have bigger sales and more frequent sales.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Marantz has been around quite a while, too, altho has undergone several changes in ownership since Saul Marantz' days....what are the ceiling speakers in the second room about, tho?

M

mandre39

Audiophyte
Other people have told me that Yamaha is more reliable than Denon/Marantz . I am looking at the Yamaha Avr A880 and the Marantz sr6012 . Both seem to be good receivers. But the Marantz gets hot.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
But the Marantz gets hot.
his is true, but a good fan setup like the AC Infinity Aircom T- Series makes a huge difference. I had one since day one on my 6012. Easy to set up and use, keeps the AVR usually at 78-79F when I keep AVRs ECO turned ON. If I turn it off for the Rears to play unimpeded, the fans definitely kick on and keep it in the low 80's. :) Another bonus is that you can put the front- or rear-vent fan on top and stack on top of that! Great place for my bliu-ray. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the SR 6011 and am very happy with it. Runs a little on the warn side, but haven't had a lick of problems with it in almost 2 years. Preouts, Audyssey XT32 and SubEQ were the main selling points for me. You can easily add amplification down the road if you like.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
his is true, but a good fan setup like the AC Infinity Aircom T- Series makes a huge difference. I had one since day one on my 6012. Easy to set up and use, keeps the AVR usually at 78-79F when I keep AVRs ECO turned ON. If I turn it off for the Rears to play unimpeded, the fans definitely kick on and keep it in the low 80's. :) Another bonus is that you can put the front- or rear-vent fan on top and stack on top of that! Great place for my bliu-ray. :D
That's what I have on mine. Just a tad pricey, but well built and looks like part of the system. It's even curved on the front edges so flows nicely with the lines of the Marantz!

20170607_150745-1305x734.jpg
20170607_151236-1305x734.jpg
20170607_154349-1305x734.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Other people have told me that Yamaha is more reliable than Denon/Marantz . I am looking at the Yamaha Avr A880 and the Marantz sr6012 . Both seem to be good receivers. But the Marantz gets hot.
I'd pick the 6012 over the 880. I read that they're starting to skimp on the power supply in lieu of more features in the Aventage line. Check out Gene's review on the 860.

*Edit: I only skimmed, but Here's a thread comparing the SR6013 to the RX A1080, the next model or 2 higher.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
RXA1070 on sale might be a good choice. (Last years model is almost identical to this year)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis