Klipsch RF-82ii vs JBL Studio 580

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Here is an example showing a speaker (Monitor Audio RX6) with open ports and with ports plugged (by foam plugs that really block airflow and make the cabinet effectively sealed):

https://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-rx6-loudspeaker-measurements

You can see how the impedance peaks in the bass change as verdinut describes. With a ported speaker you get the double hump in impedance. With the speaker sealed, you get a single hump.

The JBL port plugs must be only partially resistive to airflow, effectively altering port size.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Thanks for the expansion on your experience. So where do you think the tests by the Australians went awry? Perhaps something to my observation that the lightweight bungs may not make the box behave as a true sealed box? Nothing to the particulars of a 2.5 way design? How about some measurements of similar speakers with two ports with impedance measurements with port bungs as in this test?

I remember @Dennis Murphy also bought a set of these and hasn't commented much beyond something to the effect that there's a lot of engineering involved, but wonder if his measurements were markedly different?
My measurements tracked the Down Under's pretty well. A slight saddle profile with a moderately elevated top end. I didn't even know they came with the bung thingies, so I didn't fool with those. The person I sold them to is very happy, and my only real reservation was the somewhat compressed sound stage the wave guide produced. I thought the Klipsch I modded did better in that department. Well designed wave guides solve a number of problems, but I'm still not convinced they provide as open and expansive a sound as very broad dispersion drivers crossed carefully to avoid significant variations in dispersion patterns.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My measurements tracked the Down Under's pretty well. A slight saddle profile with a moderately elevated top end. I didn't even know they came with the bung thingies, so I didn't fool with those. The person I sold them to is very happy, and my only real reservation was the somewhat compressed sound stage the wave guide produced. I thought the Klipsch I modded did better in that department. Well designed wave guides solve a number of problems, but I'm still not convinced they provide as open and expansive a sound as very broad dispersion drivers crossed carefully to avoid significant variations in dispersion patterns.
Thanks, yes, they come with a set of both bungs and alternative faceplates should you decide to remove the stock grills (they fit at the top of where the grill would be). If this is compressed soundstage...

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I think I've even seen mention of a rubber plug for a bung, or maybe that was an urban myth with it popping out under sufficient spl.... :)
That reminds me of vacuum rubber plugs sometimes popping out of my wine bottles. :D

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Here is an example showing a speaker (Monitor Audio RX6) with open ports and with ports plugged (by foam plugs that really block airflow and make the cabinet effectively sealed):

https://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-rx6-loudspeaker-measurements

You can see how the impedance peaks in the bass change as verdinut describes. With a ported speaker you get the double hump in impedance. With the speaker sealed, you get a single hump.

The JBL port plugs must be only partially resistive to airflow, effectively altering port size.
But not altering port size effectively enough to get an appreciable raise of the fb.

A

awdio

Audioholic Intern
Sound:
I suspect it is the nature of the horn/waveguides that cause me to almost always hear a difference in the sound without being able to determine which I like better. Ultimately, these two speakers have a lot in common. Primarily, they are both exciting speakers! Neither is a "sophisticated laid back" speaker. Rather, they are a little "in your face". Indeed Klipsch proudly advertises this with slogans like "pissing off the neighbors for 62(?) years" and their powered subs have gain knobs that actually go to 11!:D
IMHO, this makes them both good speakers for Rock/Metal etc.
On this count, I would tend to view the Klipsch as being a touch farther "out there" than the JBL, but that is a very subjective judgement. It may be bias from the Klipsch marketers doing their job well!
However, don't interpret that to mean you won't enjoy classical/symphonic music, just expect the strings to have a little more vitality than they perhaps should during subdued pianissimo passages.
The Klipsch often would impart more immediacy to impacts and the JBL offer a fuller sound. But both were good at either task.

Looks:
IMHO, the Klipsch is a beautiful speaker once the grill is removed (though I'm not sure why the put the arc atop the waveguide) and a nice looking speaker with the grill in place:

IMHO, the JBL is a beautiful speaker with the grill in place, but rather utilitarian looking without the grill:

Bass:
Surprisingly, the 6.5" JBL produced subjectively more and deeper bass than the 8" RP-82ii's! I haven't yet looked on-line to see if I can find FR measurements on these two. I do perceive the Klipsch's as having slightly better impact for a kick drum, but otherwise it was a bit lean on bass. The JBL was not bloated or muddy by any means.
If there will not be a sub in the picture, the extra bass of the JBL more than compensated for the perceived tightness of the Klipsch. And presumably more so for the 8" JBL 590!
Crossed over to a sub, the JBL no longer has an advantage and I suspect the impact I heard from the Klipsch actually comes from higher frequencies and would be retained, so the Klipsch gains an edge in this aspect.

Conclusion:
Both of these are very enjoyable speakers. They make for an interesting comparison because they have a similar overall character, while definitely not sounding the same. I bought both on closeout. I got a good deal on the Klipsch at $400 each and an incredible deal on the JBL at $260 each. Ideally, I would be comparing the RF-82ii to the Studio 590 or the Klipsch RF-62ii to the Studio 580 so the woofer sizes would match.
For HT and paired with a sub, the Klipsch's horn impart a "quickness" that makes it get extra real when you are on the edge of your seat and the crapola hits the fan. That is what caught my attention and led me to buy mine! I would love to see where this shows in measurements, but haven't yet found a good set of measurements. This same "quickness" pays dividends for energetic music making things just a little sharper, but my tastes have mellowed over the years.
In contrast, the JBL's are just easy. They still have more excitement/energy than most speakers I have heard, but not quite up to the Klipsch on this count. Whether that is a good or a bad thing is the question, and I am having a difficult time deciding!
I am at the point where I'll probably add in Audyssey and subs and see if that makes it an easier decision!
The JBL definitely looks the better of the two especially with the grille in place.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis