Where to put two subs?

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Hi
My question is about dual sub positionning.
Do i use the same method than the 1 sub crawling technic for placing 2 subs in my room?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi
My question is about dual sub positionning.
Do i use the same method than the 1 sub crawling technic for placing 2 subs in my room?
Sub crawling won't work as well for finding a place for a second sub. Finding a good place for the second sub pretty much requires a measurement system with a measurement microphone, sorry to say. The second sub should be placed in the location that shores up the nulls in the response left by the first sub.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
When doing the initial sub crawl, mark several locations (I used masking tape) on the floor. Then place the subs in those locations. Try different combos. Running sweeps with one sub first then adding the second.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would add that in placing them based on good sounding locations from the crawl, also aim for asymmetrical placement to the mains, the LP, and each other. By that, I mean different distances. This should help avoid some placement based cancellations, but can only be confirmed by testing as Shady mentioned.

When it comes to fixing those issues, inches can matter! I had a huge suck out on one channel at 50Hz, which was exactly a half wavelength from source to wall. 50Hz is about 22’, and the driver was exactly 11’ from the wall. I only moved the speaker maybe 1.5” and on my next calibration, the suck-out just turned into standard room resonance.

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Sub crawling won't work as well for finding a place for a second sub. Finding a good place for the second sub pretty much requires a measurement system with a measurement microphone, sorry to say. The second sub should be placed in the location that shores up the nulls in the response left by the first sub.
I have a measurement system that came with my AVR. Do i need a dedicate measurement system?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Unless you can see a response graph from your AVR, yes. Audyssey’s app shows you a graph, for example... not the best, but that’s how I diagnosed and solved the problem I described above. REW is the best for this I think. The Room EQ Wizard software is a free downoad. The umik1 from Mini DSP is the only thing you need to buy. You can get that on Amazon. It’s easiest if you have a laptop, though I am using my iMac. You can find all the info for system requirements and how to use it at his website. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis