Help pick my home theater upgrade path! (Towers, subs, or what else)

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
Hi guys.

So my home theater as it stands, includes the following:
  • 2 Polk LSiM 703 bookshelf speakers
  • 1 Denon X4500h receiver
  • Xbox One X (media streamer, and 4k Bluray player)
  • Samsung JS8500 65" 4k TV

As such, I have no surround, no subwoofers, and no towers. :(

Planned audio additions:
  1. 2 Polk LSiM 707 tower speakers -- ($1600-2000)
  2. 1 Polk LSiM 706 center channel speaker -- ($500-600)
  3. 2 powered 15" subs (Rythmik, HSU, JTR, etc.... not sure yet) -- ($2500+)
  4. 1 power amplifier (either 2, 3, or 5 channels) -- ($1,000+)
  5. 1 AVR cooler (Looking at the ACfinity S9) -- ($80)
  6. ??? (could be room treatments, power conditioning, atmos speakers, etc... don't know yet... suggest something)

Since I cannot afford all of this at once... The question is.... what should my upgrade path look like?

I see a few real options here:

A) Get a center channel speaker, plus 2 subwoofers, for around ~$3,000. This will give me a complete front stage, lots of bass, and take a load off of the receiver (hopefully)... by crossing over all the bass to the subs. I don't know how much of a load off this is. I should probably add the AVR cooler in here if I do this.

Pros: Gives all the bass I will ever need in my theater up front, and gives a complete front stage.
Cons: Provides no surround sound at all, and the front sound stage may lack depth of without the towers. Receiver may still run hot powering 3 speakers, even if subs are handling the main bass.

B) Add 2 tower speakers, and a power amplifier, for around ~$3,000. This will give me a 4.0 surround sound system, and give me much more bass, since I'll be adding power amplfication and tower speakers with large woofers. A center channel and subwoofers will not be absolutely necessary yet.... as I can run a phanton center, and allow the amplified Polk towers to make the bass.

Pros: Gives instant access to surround sound, takes huge load off of the receiver.
Cons: Lacks bass from subwoofers, lacks center channel

C) Suggest your own combo? I want to stay around $2,500 to $3,000 here for this phase, and use the components I have listed above.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Hi guys.

So my home theater as it stands, includes the following:
  • 2 Polk LSiM 703 bookshelf speakers
  • 1 Denon X4500h receiver
  • Xbox One X (media streamer, and 4k Bluray player)
  • Samsung JS8500 65" 4k TV

As such, I have no surround, no subwoofers, and no towers. :(

Planned audio additions:
  1. 2 Polk LSiM 707 tower speakers -- ($1600-2000)
  2. 1 Polk LSiM 706 center channel speaker -- ($500-600)
  3. 2 powered 15" subs (Rythmik, HSU, JTR, etc.... not sure yet) -- ($2500+)
  4. 1 power amplifier (either 2, 3, or 5 channels) -- ($1,000+)
  5. 1 AVR cooler (Looking at the ACfinity S9) -- ($80)
  6. ??? (could be room treatments, power conditioning, atmos speakers, etc... don't know yet... suggest something)

Since I cannot afford all of this at once... The question is.... what should my upgrade path look like?

I see a few real options here:

A) Get a center channel speaker, plus 2 subwoofers, for around ~$3,000. This will give me a complete front stage, lots of bass, and take a load off of the receiver (hopefully)... by crossing over all the bass to the subs. I don't know how much of a load off this is. I should probably add the AVR cooler in here if I do this.

Pros: Gives all the bass I will ever need in my theater up front, and gives a complete front stage.
Cons: Provides no surround sound at all, and the front sound stage may lack depth of without the towers. Receiver may still run hot powering 3 speakers, even if subs are handling the main bass.

B) Add 2 tower speakers, and a power amplifier, for around ~$3,000. This will give me a 4.0 surround sound system, and give me much more bass, since I'll be adding power amplfication and tower speakers with large woofers. A center channel and subwoofers will not be absolutely necessary yet.... as I can run a phanton center, and allow the amplified Polk towers to make the bass.

Pros: Gives instant access to surround sound, takes huge load off of the receiver.
Cons: Lacks bass from subwoofers, lacks center channel

C) Suggest your own combo? I want to stay around $2,500 to $3,000 here for this phase, and use the components I have listed above.
Welcome! This is unusually well thought out!

I agree with Option A:
1) Because a center is necessary for surround sound as 75%+ of a surround (not 2.0/stereo) soundtrack comes from the center channel. ‘Phantom’ centers only work with the right placement, but not many soundtracks (generally, 2.0 stereo)

2) Because you have a clear budget, and this will yield the most appreciable gains

3) This Avenue also allows for a lot of potential savings to be found in choosing the best value subs - due to room acoustics, the best bass is found with more subs, not more powerful subs.

4) Wouldn’t worry about cooling your AVR, unless you have too cramped a space for air flow.

Good luck, and post your system as it comes together!

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
Option C: load up on expensive cables, tons of acoustical treatments and bass traps.:D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
With what you have now I'd go subs first, center next, then more (and not towers particularly but depends...)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’d try to go center and 1 sub and 2 surrounds to get to 5.1. That Denon should work with a pair of usb fans to help draw the heat out. Then just add 2nd sub later. Towers last if necessary.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
How big is your room, first of all?

I don’t see why you need to replace the AVR at all, the Denon should be fine for almost any purpose, so you can prob elim that from the budget completely. Buy the AC Infinity fan. It’s cheap and will add life to your electronics.

After that, if you’re going to upgrade your speakers, I’d stick with bookshelves but you can find better options than Polk, IMO. Get a solid L/R/C setup from someone like Ascend or Aperion or Kef or Focal or Dynaudio. For the $2500 you have allocated in your budget for front stage, you can find a really nice setup.

After that, depending on your room size, get a VTF-2 or VTF-3 from Hsu, which won’t cost more than $800. You can add a second sub down the road to match. All the companies you mention have good sub options but I think Hsu has the best price-performance ratio out there.

Then add the surrounds. You can either match your L/R bookshelves or save a little $ and buy whatever model is one stage down from the same manufacturer as your front stage. I wouldn’t worry about Atmos speakers until you have your 5.1 setup where you like it.

As far as acoustic room treatments, that obv depends on your room situation. If you are dealing with something that has a ton of hard surfaces that you can’t soften with throw pillows or curtains or furniture, then that may absolutely make a huge difference. You don’t need power conditioning or any other gimmicks, just buy a decent surge protector.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is there an Option where you sell the 2 Polk bookshelf speakers and buy a new system? :D

KEF, Revel, RBH, PSB, NHT, etc.?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I’m not a Polk fan either, but everyone is different. :)
Polk can make genuinely good speakers, such as the LSiM series. I hope they replace that with something on the same level.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Polk can make genuinely good speakers, such as the LSiM series. I hope they replace that with something on the same level.
I’m sure the high end series is good.

I can also relate to the “starting over” approach given the OP is replacing most of the speakers anyway. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'd like to see Polk jump up their game. I think they have the opportunity to do better under SU, and still be who they are.

Speaking of which... (Sound United...) what the hell is Boston Acoustics doing? Their "upper" level speakers disappeared a while ago now, it seems. Anything you can share, Shady?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'd like to see Polk jump up their game. I think they have the opportunity to do better under SU, and still be who they are.

Speaking of which... (Sound United...) what the hell is Boston Acoustics doing? Their "upper" level speakers disappeared a while ago now, it seems. Anything you can share, Shady?
SU has owned Polk for a couple years now. I don't know what direction they want to take the company in. It looks to me like they are having Deftech deal with the more hi-fi, high-end stuff and Polk deal with the cheaper stuff and also home installation stuff. If that is the case, we won't see any follow up to the LSiM series.

As for Boston Acoustics, I don't know what is going on there. it seems to me that brand has been fading away for awhile now.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ha. I read Theo's review... can't say I agree about DT... at least not yet anyway. The stuff I listened to late last year was bunk once I got past the artificially sweetened sound of powered woofers. Had I bought that day, it would have been Motion 60XTs.

My Dad's old BA towers from the early 90's reviewed exceptionally well. He still has all the paperwork filed away. When I was home visiting last november, we powered everything up and I lit the house! He's on his second NAD integrated since the early 90s, and at least his third NAD CD. Nothing special, horrible room. He listens almost exclusively over headphones. Regardless, soft spot in my heart, there. If there were to be a brand resurgence for something nice along the lines of what seems to be happening with KLH, I'd like to see BA and SU pull that off. I think they could easily compete in the traditional market against companies like Martin Logan and Monitor Audio.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
... along the lines of what seems to be happening with KLF, ...
I know you meant KLH, but I am going to use your typo to post a tune from KLF because they were one of the great house music producers back in the day. Here is a tune that is burned in my brain from hundreds of listens over the last 30 years: 3 A.M. Eternal. This is basically the perfect house tune, a rare manifestation of a platonic ideal.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Option C: load up on expensive cables, tons of acoustical treatments and bass traps.:D
Bass traps? Most species of ocean or fresh water bass are caught using a pole, hook, and line, or net.....oooops, sorry I replied to the wrong forum. And bass make a poor and smelly addition to any speaker system. :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis