GoldenEar Forcefield 4 Sub

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
I am thinking about replacing my current FF 4 sub. The FF 4 does a great job but I feel having two subs would fill the room with more smooth, improved bass response. Due to their performance and value, I am thinking about getting two (2) of the RSL Speedwoofer 10S subs. I can get the RSL subs for basically the same price as a second FF 4. Does it make sense to go with the RSL subs or just add a second FF 4. I have an open area of about 4000 cubic ft. I appreciate the input.

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
The 10S costs $400 while the FF4 retails for $700 so unless you have a way of getting the GoldenEar sub for a huge discount the price gap will be pretty large between them. Be that as it may... I have a pair of the RSL's in house for a review so I know what they can do, and for the price they can do a lot. If you go that route you would need to buy a pair of them, while if you went with another FF4 you could leverage the investment you already have in the first one. It sounds like your happy with it's performance so maybe all you need to do is pair it with another.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's nice to have two of the same sub but why buy a sub to discard it is something I've not done. Hopefully you're not paying retail on the FF4 but two of those should be nice especially for the footprint.

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
It's nice to have two of the same sub but why buy a sub to discard it is something I've not done. Hopefully you're not paying retail on the FF4 but two of those should be nice especially for the footprint.
Retail price at local dealer is $699.00. If anyone knows where I can purchase one for less please let me know. I have not had any luck finding any better deal online. Of course I may not be looking in the right places. Cheers!!

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I believe GoldenEar enforces MAP pricing so it's unlikely you will find it for less than advertised price. That's why I highlighted the cost difference between them, because I don't know if you can get a discount on the FF4.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am thinking about replacing my current FF 4 sub. The FF 4 does a great job but I feel having two subs would fill the room with more smooth, improved bass response. Due to their performance and value, I am thinking about getting two (2) of the RSL Speedwoofer 10S subs. I can get the RSL subs for basically the same price as a second FF 4. Does it make sense to go with the RSL subs or just add a second FF 4. I have an open area of about 4000 cubic ft. I appreciate the input.
So you're selling the FF4?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Retail price at local dealer is $699.00. If anyone knows where I can purchase one for less please let me know. I have not had any luck finding any better deal online. Of course I may not be looking in the right places. Cheers!!
Not horrible for a well made DO 10" sub with a decent amp. I'd just diy it tho. Not really fair comparing a sealed to ported (let alone the box designs of RSL) on the other hand.

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
So you're selling the FF4?
Due to my room size and current set-up, I have decided to go with the SVS PB-2000 sub(s) and will be selling my GoldenEar FF4. The sub is in excellent condition. Asking $600. If you know anyone who may be interested give me a shout.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Due to my room size and current set-up, I have decided to go with the SVS PB-2000 sub(s) and will be selling my GoldenEar FF4. The sub is in excellent condition. Asking $600. If you know anyone who may be interested give me a shout.
Congrats your going to love those PB 2000's!

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
Ok, so I made two (2) cardboard mock-ups using the dimensions of the PB-2000 and they are going to be too large for the space. Even though the wife said it was okay, I made the call that they would be too obtrusive. So I am back to my original question which is add a 2nd FF4 sub or not? I am not confident that I can get the low-end bass I am looking for from the FF4's. I cannot find many reviews on the FF4. I am open to suggestions regarding brand of subs, etc.. As far as dimensions, I can go up to 18" each way. So far, this forum has been the best for me throughout my system upgrade, etc. and I appreciate everyone's input. If more info is needed let me know and I will provide whatever I need to.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok, so I made two (2) cardboard mock-ups using the dimensions of the PB-2000 and they are going to be too large for the space. Even though the wife said it was okay, I made the call that they would be too obtrusive. So I am back to my original question which is add a 2nd FF4 sub or not? I am not confident that I can get the low-end bass I am looking for from the FF4's. I cannot find many reviews on the FF4. I am open to suggestions regarding brand of subs, etc.. As far as dimensions, I can go up to 18" each way. So far, this forum has been the best for me throughout my system upgrade, etc. and I appreciate everyone's input. I more info is needed let me know and I will provide whatever I need to.
What about the SVS PC 2000? The cylinder one? They are taller but there footprint is only 16 inches in diameter. They are what I'm planning to upgrade too in my bedroom setup in the future.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
They are 34.34 high ×16.6 wide × 16.6 inches deep

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That definitely might be an option. I cannot afford two (2) of those at this point but possibly add a 2nd one later (if needed). Cheers!
The PC 2000 is just as powerful as there box counterpart the PB 2000 I have no doubt it in my mind that you would love even one of those let alone duals
P.S. eBay has deals on those all the time for less then the $800 SVS asking price.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
The Hsu ULS mk2 fits your 18x18x18 inch foot print perfectly. A ported sub may not be an option for you do to cabinet size.

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
The Hsu ULS mk2 fits your 18x18x18 inch foot print perfectly. A ported sub may not be an option for you do to cabinet size.
Hmmm....I have not even looked at this one. Could be an option. Thanks.

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
So I wound up back where I started. I just purchased two (2) of the RSL Speedwoofer 10S Subs. All of the reviews I read (including the one on Audioholics) about the performance of pairing two of these little monsters were very positive. According to what I've read, watched and communicated with you guys, pairing the two may get me at or slightly below the 20Hz. mark. At any rate, I believe the RSL subs will perform well for me for a good while. The good thing about it.... If I am not satisfied I can always return within the 30 day trail. However, I do not see this happening. Joe and the folks at RSL are first class as well as the folks here on this forum. Thanks again for your input! Cheers!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis