Basement HT update.

J

Jake Franklin

Audioholic Intern
I posted awhile ago that I would be shortly starting finishing my basement for a dedicated theater room and a few people expressed interest in following my progress. Unfortunately due to the upcoming tax increases and job opportunities elsewhere me and my Fiance are going to move out of Illinois.

Knowing we'll be leaving it within a year or so hopefully I decided to put my money towards a new house instead. Debating upgrading to an external amp, thinking, outlaw 5000, in the meantime. Also thinking about selling everything when I move and start new with a pair of Klipsch RF7iii and build from there.

Anyways I did update my surround channels. Here's a photo to show. The RF42ii were previously positioned directly to the side at 90. With the higher more rearward position they are not as easily localizable and everyone sitting on the couch can hear them. Before the person next to you blocked the tweeter and made it hard to hear.

Attachments

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you are moving, I would spend almost nothing on any upgrades until you are situated in the new space and really have an idea of what you are going to do.

My first rule when moving into a new home is to wire, wire, wire, wire! As long as I plan to be in the home for 5+ years I put speakers everywhere. Wire is (relatively) inexpensive and I pick a place for amps and stuff to go so I can work from one centralized location. I go overboard, but, what you do is up to you. I still find that there is only some stuff which works from home to home, and on our last move, my projector didn't come with me, so there was a lot of more important purchases to make before I could get a good projector... So, I had to go cheap on my first buy in the new home.

Every penny you can save I would. After you are in the home, then do the big upgrades along the way, hopefully doing as much as you can yourself.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@BMXTRIX
I always enjoy reading your posts. Your pragmatism and experience are always super informative. Thanks for sharing!!! :)

@Jake Franklin
Ya, what he said! ;) Building systems is fun, but can be overly expensive. Especially if you have to start from scratch for any reason. There have been a couple cool threads recently with guys looking to upgrade and such... the options can be endless.
I don't have anything against Klipsh (the way I might against DefTech :p) but keep an open mind as you consider future possibilities. The new JBL line of studio 6 speakers is looking promising, for example, including a true 3-way design on the flagship tower. Likweise, and perhaps a little up-market, both Dave at Ascend Acoustics , and Dennis (previously Philharmonic Audio) are working new designs! There will be a lot of exciting things happening this year, I think.
Cheers!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis