Setting up delyay start in harmony remote.

B

BrianR

Audioholic Intern
I have a Channel master CM-7600. The HDMI cable out of this goes into the Yamaha RX-A780 AND IS SLOTTED INTO the HDMI input #3. The HDMI2/ARC output from the Yamaha goes in the Samsung TV UN55MU6300FXZA and the input into the TV is HMDI3/ARC.

When I set up the 'watch TV' activity and start the activity, the Samsung is CEC active. I think this is messing up the start of 'watch tv'. I think I can put a delay(s) into the harmony remote for start up, but not sure what needs to be delayed and/or where in the start up cycle.

Would using a different OTA DVR than Channelmaster solve this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Brian

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
What happens, how does it go wrong?
Turning off CEC is a very good idea if you use a harmony remote, both on the tv and Channel master if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B

BrianR

Audioholic Intern
If I turn off the CEC I won't get the audio back from the TV on ARC correct? The yamaha winds up being switched to audio o1. When I switch the yamaha back to hdmi 3 it does not tecognize the channelmaster input. Thanks Brian

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
If I turn off the CEC I won't get the audio back from the TV on ARC correct? The yamaha winds up being switched to audio o1. When I switch the yamaha back to hdmi 3 it does not tecognize the channelmaster input. Thanks Brian
You can turn off CEC in those devices not needed for ARC, so just enabled on the TV and receiver. Usually there are also options to disable some of the CEC functions in each device, like power on/off, input switching and so on. This makes it less likely that CEC interferes with the Harmony remote.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Do you use any tv apps? If not and everything connects through the yamaha then ther is no reason to have CEC activated. There is no point in having it active in the channel master if its connected to the yamaha.

Audio o1?
Does it work right if you use the normal remotes to turn things on and select inputs etc.?

B

BrianR

Audioholic Intern
OK. I'll leave the TV on and turn everything else off and see what happens. thanks brian

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Can’t tell you where to “put it in the start cycle,” but what I’ve done to create a delay in a macro (for instance, if the TV needs to be fully powered up before switching its input) is program useless steps, such as “stop” or “pause” for a component you don’t have. That could be repeated to create a longer delay.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Channel master CM-7600. The HDMI cable out of this goes into the Yamaha RX-A780 AND IS SLOTTED INTO the HDMI input #3. The HDMI2/ARC output from the Yamaha goes in the Samsung TV UN55MU6300FXZA and the input into the TV is HMDI3/ARC.

When I set up the 'watch TV' activity and start the activity, the Samsung is CEC active. I think this is messing up the start of 'watch tv'. I think I can put a delay(s) into the harmony remote for start up, but not sure what needs to be delayed and/or where in the start up cycle.

Would using a different OTA DVR than Channelmaster solve this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Brian
ARC has nothing to do with audio from the source, which is what comes from the Channel Master and goes to the AVR. Turning off CEC should do absolutely nothing to the audio from the Channel Master.

Nice of them to (not) show whether the optical port is for input or output.

Leave the startup delays as they were- this doesn't have anything to do with that unless the TV or AVR are older- Harmony knows that some devices need up to about 5 seconds to wake up and be able to act on received signals and the sequence is created in the way it is, because of that. Remember- the devices that do the most processing are the ones that need the most time and the input commands are usually separated from the Power On command by more time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When I got my first smart tv and avr with HDMI 1.4/ARC, I already had a Harmony and the desire of the tv to set my input on the avr to "tv" instead of cbl/sat where I actually wanted to watch tv was annoying. I did try and set a delay so that after the tv switched the avr to "tv" I'd have a delay to then set avr input to "cbl/sat". It worked just okay (had to keep the damn thing aimed at the avr too long :) ) but soon after I stopped using my tv for content (no OTA, no apps) I just disabled ARC and used the simpler macros on my Harmony. On mine I had to enable hdmi control/cec in both tv and avr for ARC to function (not sure I ever tried with them disabled, tho as it wouldn't work until they were enabled...).

B

BrianR

Audioholic Intern
Yamaha did a frim ware update and it work as I ahd it set up for about 6 times thend efaulted again. I turned off CEC on the samsung and this did not change anything. I ran an hdmi cable from the channelmaster tot he tv and by passed the uyamaha and it works fine now I just have tio listen to the sound from the tv speaks and this is fine for OTA. Does these mean the problem was the yamaha? Thanks Brian

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Yamaha did a frim ware update and it work as I ahd it set up for about 6 times thend efaulted again. I turned off CEC on the samsung and this did not change anything. I ran an hdmi cable from the channelmaster tot he tv and by passed the uyamaha and it works fine now I just have tio listen to the sound from the tv speaks and this is fine for OTA. Does these mean the problem was the yamaha? Thanks Brian
You need to turn off the CEC in the yamaha (and/or the channelmaster)

B

BrianR

Audioholic Intern
You need to turn off the CEC in the yamaha (and/or the channelmaster)

When I do this it turns off the sound to my center speaker., Brian Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
CEC shouldn't have anything to do with the center particularly, that would be a sound mode or input/source that would affect that....

B

BrianR

Audioholic Intern
CEC shouldn't have anything to do with the center particularly, that would be a sound mode or input/source that would affect that....
Honest, when I turned off the hdmi control it turned off sound to the center channel. Brian

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I had not set a specific mode. What4ever the factory preset was/is. Thanks. Brian
So it might have been in stereo mode rather than a surround mode that uses the center? If it cut the center out in surround mode I'd try a soft reset (unplugging it for a bit) and maybe a full microprocessor/factory reset...

highfigh

highfigh

It's fine for OTA? No, it's not. It should work the way you want.

You would need to disable CEC and ARC in both the AVR and TV- if there's a setting for that anywhere else, disable it there, too.

Are you using the Help button?

highfigh

highfigh

I had not set a specific mode. What4ever the factory preset was/is. Thanks. Brian
You need to read the manuals and set up the equipment the way it's supposed to be- you can't expect anything to do what you want if it hasn't been set up. Inputs need to be assigned for the AVR, whether HDMI, component, Digital audio or analog audio. These look for digital sources before analog.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis