Klipsch RP8000f's vs JBL studio 590's

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It has gotten pretty severe Lol
Indeed it has. BUT! Good for you. If you’ve got the means, let er rip. Btw, I’m a little jelly about those JBL’s. I also think they look bad a$$, and as much as I love the copper, the klipsch look like toys next to the 590’s. I would love to crank some up.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Think Kew has just a “few” more speakers than you. LOL :)
Yep!!
Speaking from first hand experience!

My enabling rationalization is it has still cost me less that smoking a pack of cigarettes a day!
And now that I keep a list of the speakers I have by the computer, acquisition of new speakers has slowed significantly. OTOH, if the JBL 830t's in good condition (surrounds fine, no dust caps pushed in - yet) are still sitting at Goodwill for $40/pr, I don't think I can just walk away twice!

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just how many speakers do you have, Kurt?
Around 30 pairs! Most are bookshelf speakers in the $100-$250 price range (discounted price).
Putting them in a list was the best thing I did because if I consider something new, it lets me size it up against what I have and see if I can be creative enough to rationalize adding it to the stable (not that I can honestly rationalize having anywhere near so many:rolleyes::)).
Probably my biggest "driver" (to buy) is curiosity and just a fascination with the concept of moving rigid cones (generally cones) to reproduce sound - it is total witchery!
I generally only comment on speakers I have heard (or their siblings - like I would comment on the JBL 590 based on my experience with the 580, that I have).
I am a sucker for a "deal I can't refuse" involving a speaker that is highly recommended or I have been curious about. For example, when I saw the following on Craigslist, I had to get them to check out!
$300 includes 5 ea. Orb speakers ($130/ea. MSRP),an Orb Uber 10 subwoofer ($700 MSRP),and Yamaha RX=V1700 AVR (130WPC, 7.1ch)
The Orbs had my interest for many years! My take - they are very good for what they are, but the limitations of the 3" full-range driver at the top make it a speaker I would not choose. If WAF/style is the driving force, then these may be a decent option.

I have no regrets over my speaker habit - it is just fun (and, besides, I could stop anytime I want;))!

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Around 30 pairs! Most are bookshelf speakers in the $100-$250 price range (discounted price).
Putting them in a list was the best thing I did because if I consider something new, it lets me size it up against what I have and see if I can be creative enough to rationalize adding it to the stable (not that I can honestly rationalize having anywhere near so many:rolleyes::)).
Probably my biggest "diver" is curiosity and just a fascination with the concept of moving rigid cones (generally cones) to reproduce sound - it is total witchery!
I generally only comment on speakers I have heard (or their siblings - like I would comment on the JBL 590 based on my experience with the 580, that I have).
I am a sucker for a "deal I can't refuse" involving a speaker that is highly recommended or I have been curious about. For example, when I saw the following on Craigslist, I had to get them to check out!

The Orbs had my interest for many years! My take - they are very good for what they are, but the limitations of the 3" full-range driver at the top make it a speaker I would not choose. If WAF/style is the driving force, then these may be a decent option. I am ready to flip these!
I think what he meant to say lovin is "not enough!" Lol:D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Probably my biggest "diver" is curiosity and just a fascination with the concept of moving rigid cones (generally cones) to reproduce sound - it is total witchery!

The Orbs had my interest for many years! My take - they are very good for what they are, but the limitations of the 3" full-range driver at the top make it a speaker I would not choose. If WAF/style is the driving force, then these may be a decent option. I am ready to flip these!
LOL thought I was bad, I have something like 38 speakers on hand, and mostly in use, (not all pairs, a few solo centers, also not counting subs).

I think what he meant to say lovin is "not enough!" Lol:D
LOL enough is more about running out of room sometimes.

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic

The Orbs had my interest for many years! My take - they are very good for what they are, but the limitations of the 3" full-range driver at the top make it a speaker I would not choose. If WAF/style is the driving force, then these may be a decent option.
I have 7.1 orbs in my family room. The room is very limited for TV and speaker placement so I was stuck with satellites. I have them paired with the uber 10 as well. It does okay in mid range bass. The port chuff drives me crazy though.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay really just got done with a critical music session I jammed these things out at all different levels I rocked them 2 channel stereo multichannel surround various formats

WOW.

These babies just rock. They are so good for music I loved them the most in 2 channel a real benchmark of me liking a speaker.

One thing that really stood out is the imaging and soundstage just like Klipsch they have this uncanny ability to lock in a center image the best I've heard even over the Klipsch in 2 channel. You could not tell the center tower was off even from 4 feet away.

My dad kept constantly putting his ear to it to see if it was off he thought that was so cool.

My mom hates our audio stuff but she was jamming out with us. That's a testament to how good they sound with music.

Highs amazing they passed my flute test with The Good Shephard the track from Kill Bill volume 1 at reference not many speakers have done that. Midrange great the bass amazing they do snare drums he'll any drums better then a lot I've heard even above there price point. Piano sounds the best I've heard in a long time I have heard better but at much higher price points

Instrument separation was excellent placement was good huge open soundstage they also put the soundstage behind the speakers which I love the most the Klipsch are more up front the best way I know to describe it is the Klipsch the band is five feet in front of you your right there live the JBL your back farther in the audience your still live just not right up close

Vocals were so good but they shine extra with female voices. Males sound very good BUT females sound SUPERB. And that ability to put the voice dead center in 2 channel. And that's with minimal toe in. That was super super cool.

Everyone has different preferences but I prefer the JBL sound stage with me seated a little farther back in the audience

There dynamics are simply stunning to say the least they can go from whisper quiet to impactful effortlessly.

Very fun to listen to in music especially 2 channel music. Hell they passed the mom test not many speakers have done that.

They are as people have mentioned just amazing for music.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
man I jammed out to music for about 3 hours haven't done that inawhile

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you're keeping them? :) Glad you enjoy them as do I. While I'd like to have some of the Greg Timbers designs further up the food chain, these do quite well.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So you're keeping them? :) Glad you enjoy them as do I. While I'd like to have some of the Greg Timbers designs further up the food chain, these do quite well.
Oh heck yeah I'm keeping them I'm super super impressed with these. If I had the room size for it I'd wait for another sale put 7 of these in the theater room and just call it a day.

I might just do it anyway

I just got done with movies for a bit right now. Man they sound so good.

Thanks for some helpful feedback Lovin I'm really happy with these speakers.

Man if these sound so good I can't imagine what Timbers higher up offerings would sound like

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I also really like how if I want to do some 2 channel music listening in the theater room these sound so good at that as well.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Dan, you pulling a all nighter uhu?
Up until the wee hours, I've done that many times. Them JBL's look are big! I didn't realize they where that big I bet they have a really good sound stage?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
One thing that really stood out is the imaging and soundstage just like Klipsch they have this uncanny ability to lock in a center image the best I've heard even over the Klipsch in 2 channel. You could not tell the center tower was off even from 4 feet away.

My dad kept constantly putting his ear to it to see if it was off he thought that was so cool.
Finally got my Focals dialed in, took one apart and put it back together, think the tweeter had a poor connection. I was listening to music and it was really bugging me how much sound was coming from my center speaker, then I looked at the receiver and it said 2ch. Now that I know I still look at the receiver occasionally to make sure it’s in stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

I have no regrets over my speaker habit - it is just fun (and, besides, I could stop anytime I want;))!
It's cheaper than collecting cars, and I know some people with that affliction. I have a pair of JBL Northridge E20s in the original factory box you can have for the cost of shipping, if you want to further feed your habit.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis