New theater construction advice

L

Lowlababy

Audiophyte
I’m currently building a new home, we have theater that is 22’ wide 30’ deep which has step down seating with the entrance in the back. This is a larger room the the last and I’m concerned about speaker placement and sizing. The last room we built, I used PSB towers and center channel. These were ported in the front. I would prefer the towers and center to be flush mounted or behind a acoustic screen so there not noticeable. I would like to keep things clean and simple. Seems most speakers today are ported in the back. Any thoughts or recommendations for this application would be great and appreciated. Looking to have 7.2.4, I still have 2 of my Fathom f112 subs which I plan on using. Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You need to look at speakers that were intended to be used against a wall. You might just look at in-wall speakers at this point. Klipsch has some decent ones, as does Atlantic Technology, Triad, and Revel.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
With that size room why are you concerned with hiding the speakers? You are already going to have 2 huge subs out in the open. You will get much better sound with free standing LCR speakers at a lower cost. I had a similar situation as you in my old house and built a dedicated theater room with stage and riser. Tower LR and full center. Wall mounted surrounds. New house, smaller room but still have the full LR tower, full center, wall mounted surround - but added 4 in-ceiling speakers. Sounds and looks great as a 5.1.4 system.

I certainly understand and respect the clean and simple, just ensure you understand the cost (and not just $$).

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I’m currently building a new home, we have theater that is 22’ wide 30’ deep which has step down seating with the entrance in the back. This is a larger room the the last and I’m concerned about speaker placement and sizing. The last room we built, I used PSB towers and center channel. These were ported in the front. I would prefer the towers and center to be flush mounted or behind a acoustic screen so there not noticeable. I would like to keep things clean and simple. Seems most speakers today are ported in the back. Any thoughts or recommendations for this application would be great and appreciated. Looking to have 7.2.4, I still have 2 of my Fathom f112 subs which I plan on using. Thanks
Although I'm thinking along the lines of post #6, but can also respect the clean look. I think you can accomplish both with 30' of depth in the space.

With a drop down or permanent down acoustic screen...just move everything out a few feet, allowing the rear ported speaker the space from the wall...you should still have roughly 27' to work with.

My Salks are front ported, but this sounds like a dedicated HT space, not sure I would recommend them for this build. I would look into JTR speaker, they have awesome HT speakers that can go behind a screen and some models might be front ported.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
I think there are downsides that come from hiding speakers behind screens. From a craftsmanship point of view speakers that are visible in the room create a statement to others about your taste in quality products and they are a piece of room decor! From a performance point of view positioning the speakers in various different spots other than hidden can allow you to dramatically improve imaging for music and bass response for home theatre. I understand your goal is a clean and non intrusive look in you theatre and if that is most important to you I would not recommend rear ported speakers given the two fathom 112 subs. Anyway just my thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis