Vizio P-Series Quantum (PQ65-F1) 4K/UHD TV review

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
If you’ve never considered Vizio a reference-grade alternative to LG and Sony’s OLEDs or Samsung’s QLED displays then think again. Vizio's P-Series Quantum (PQ65-F1) is a reference-grade 4K/UHD TV delivering breathtaking 4K and HDR images covering nearly 100% of the P3 color gamut under $2,000. With 192 FALD zones, this LED display is capable of producing rich, deep black levels. And it’s 2000 nite peak brightness renders stunning HDR images. This display supports HDR 10, Dolby Vision, and HLG HDR so you’ll be ready to enjoy today’s best content as well as the future of broadcast 4K/UHD TV. We go in depth by performing three full calibrations in SDR, HDR, and Dolby Vision and giving you our measurements. Be sure to check out our full review of this high value, high performance TV from Vizio that is arguably the best TV on the market under $2,000.

Read: Vizio PQ65-F1 4K UHD TV Review

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I wish Vizio would make TVs in extra large sizes. I respect the 65" TV, and that really is a good solution for a lot of people. Especially at the $1,500 price point. But, damn... I moved from a 65" TV to a 85" TV and I could never go back down in size. As Vizio continues to wow with their excellent value and quality, I just can't get on board with their sizes.

I hope that they decide to jump up to a 85" (or larger???) display for the mix. They do always seem to be on point with what they offer.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I wish Vizio would make TVs in extra large sizes. I respect the 65" TV, and that really is a good solution for a lot of people. Especially at the $1,500 price point. But, damn... I moved from a 65" TV to a 85" TV and I could never go back down in size. As Vizio continues to wow with their excellent value and quality, I just can't get on board with their sizes.

I hope that they decide to jump up to a 85" (or larger???) display for the mix. They do always seem to be on point with what they offer.
Vizio currently offers display sizes up to 75 inches, but not in the Quantum model.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Vizio currently offers display sizes up to 75 inches, but not in the Quantum model.
True, but LG is at 86" (they also have 98" in commercial), Sony is at 85", and Samsung is at 82".

I do want to emphasize that for many the 65" size is fine, but at 75" from 10' away, it isn't nearly as immersive as some people would expect it to be. So, yeah, I respect them, but would just like to see them get into the same largest sizes that their competition is delivering.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
True, but LG is at 86" (they also have 98" in commercial), Sony is at 85", and Samsung is at 82".
I didn't mean to imply that Vizio was in a leadership position on display size, because they're not. Vizio is a value brand.

P

Pottscb

Enthusiast
So, the review stated that the black levels were "85-90 as good as OLED" but the Vizio was awarded a full 5 stars for black level...just curious if it shouldn't be 4.5 stars (or 4.75). Did you guys do a full review of any of the pas OLEDs? If so, maybe link in the article (or other competitors) and a quick sentence or two about how it compares to Samsung and other competitor offerings?

Thanks for the work you do to help us...the consumer.

TheoN

TheoN

You raise a very fair point and it underscores a key point. Anytime you need to summarize a review in a star rating there’s always some level of compromise. For example a five star rating on an aspect of a product at a $500 price point versus $1500 versus $5000 is not comparable.

I gave the star rating based on the display as an LED and compared to other TVs at the same price point. From that perspective and how well it compares to an OLED is how I chose to give the star rating. The body of the review is there so the reader can dive into the details.

I hope that gives a little better insight into the rationale behind the rating.

Last edited:
G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
When a 1500 dollar tv goes toe to toe against TVs twice it’s price that’s very good value. I always try to see how far my dollar will go. I read that the 2019 vizio quantum x has close 2000 nits and 300+ Led zones all for the same price. If viewing angles don’t matter to you then price per pound that vizio is a 5 star tv on paper.

TheoN

TheoN

When a 1500 dollar tv goes toe to toe against TVs twice it’s price that’s very good value. I always try to see how far my dollar will go. I read that the 2019 vizio quantum x has close 2000 nits and 300+ Led zones all for the same price. If viewing angles don’t matter to you then price per pound that vizio is a 5 star tv on paper.
I’d agree. We measured the Quantum at over 2000 nits. The Quantum X (Slater for release later this year I would imagine) is supposedly able to reach over 2900 nits peak brightness and I believe it will have over 400 FALD zones.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic

The P-Series Quantum X is the flagship TV from VIZIO in 2019. There’s several improvements from the P-Series Quantum if you’re interested in the best that VIZIO has to offer. Lets start with almost 3000 nits of peak brightness!

On paper, we’re looking at quantum dot tech fitted with 384 active local dimming zones, a native 120hz panel, and an octa-core processor. During my tour of the TV, the peak brightness was rated at approximately 2900 nits, which was quite striking to look at in person. The perceived contrast ratio rivaled my LG OLED at first glance, due to how bright HDR content looked on this TV.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Rtings.com is an excellent website to research TVs.

TheoN

TheoN

Thanks for posting that. And the 75-inch has over 400 FALD zones. I can’t wait to check out the Quantum X In person when it’s released.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Well just saw Sony's new 8K TV's will be available in May.

N

NickyT

Audiophyte
I recently purchased a Vizio PX65-G1. Your article was very informative and in some ways frustrating. I had my TV calibrated by the Geek Squad, but they do not seem to understand that they should calibrate for SDR, HDR and Dolby vision. How do you send the different signals to the TV in order to adjust the Picture settings? I found several articles for recommended settings for SDR and HDR but nothing for Dolby Vision. I am a novice at this and am trying to make sure I am getting the best picture my TV is capable of producing. Vizio support did not understand my issue.

TheoN

TheoN

You must feed the TV the signal you are attempting to calibrate. You can’t, for example, calibrate an HDR image with SDR patterns or source. The TV will be in SDR mode.

You must send the TV an HDR10 signal to calibrate HDR10 and a Dolby Vision signal to calibrate that for the TV go into the appropriate mode. Geek Squad needed to use the Dolby Vision golden reference file I mentioned in the review to load into the calibration software.

Nothing against Geek Squad but I strongly recommend bringing in a professional calibrator—preferably an ISF certified calibrator—who can do this properly for you and understands all the HDR standards and how to calibrate them with the right source patterns and meters. You need the right equipment to perform a calibration properly. Copying settings doesn’t work due to the variations between panels, lighting conditions in your room, etc.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I recently bought a used Vizio(Think it's 10 years old) for $65 and the blacks are great just as good or better than the Samsung Plasma 43 inch I have. I would definitely have Vizio in mind when going 4K.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis