Room EQ yes or no or sparingly

R

RTG

Audioholic
Lol that’s my concern. I also want to stop fusing and enjoy lol. When I bought CalMAN a few years back I became obsessed lol. Maybe it’s best I don’t. I’m truly happy with how things sound now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lol that’s my concern. I also want to stop fusing and enjoy lol. When I bought CalMAN a few years back I became obsessed lol. Maybe it’s best I don’t. I’m truly happy with how things sound now.
OTOH if you can deal with calman....

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
Don't Do It RTG... Do you really want to know you have done all you can for your theater or would you rather be blissfully unaware that there may be easy ways to improve the sound?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The USD75 Umik-1 and REW, is all I need so far. I've never even consider the much more expensive Omni mic until now that I am building my first pair of speakers and feel the Omni/DATS package could be useful. Before you pay premium for the Omnimic you may want to ask @RichB who iirc, has experience with both. Are you interested in DIY speakers though, if not, is there something you feel REW cannot do for you?
I’m planning on starting a subwoofer project this summer. As well as probably building out my system for Atmos, and upgrading my Mini-Phil’s to New-Phils. A lot of that will depend on Dennis posting his plans for the discontinued speakers... something he’s indicated doing once he’s back home.
Anyway, as I mentioned nderstand, I can use DATS to test the room... like REW. But I’m uncertain if DATS can program a mDSP product (which REW does). That said, unless I have to wait on the omnimic, I would rather just buy one mic.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
The USD75 Umik-1 and REW, is all I need so far. I've never even consider the much more expensive Omni mic until now that I am building my first pair of speakers and feel the Omni/DATS package could be useful. Before you pay premium for the Omnimic you may want to ask @RichB who iirc, has experience with both. Are you interested in DIY speakers though, if not, is there something you feel REW cannot do for you?
The Omni-Mic V2 is load and go so it is easier to get started.

REW takes a bit more time (for me anyway) to get setup for sweeps but once it is done, it was very simple to use.
I don't build speakers and have definitely just scratched this surface but there are plenty of DIY'ers using REW.

- Rich

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I say take a hiatus and just enjoy your system for awhile, but go ahead and get the Microphone, miniDSP, and download the software. That way you'll be sitting on go when you are ready.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I say take a hiatus and just enjoy your system for awhile, but go ahead and get the Microphone, miniDSP, and download the software. That way you'll be sitting on go when you are ready.
I am extremely pleased with my system without any REQ/PEQ applied.

If I want to deal with room modes, it will be by adding a couple of small subs.

- Rich

R

RTG

Audioholic
That’s what I’m thinking.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m planning on starting a subwoofer project this summer. As well as probably building out my system for Atmos, and upgrading my Mini-Phil’s to New-Phils. A lot of that will depend on Dennis posting his plans for the discontinued speakers... something he’s indicated doing once he’s back home.
Anyway, as I mentioned nderstand, I can use DATS to test the room... like REW. But I’m uncertain if DATS can program a mDSP product (which REW does). That said, unless I have to wait on the omnimic, I would rather just buy one mic.
DATS is about driver measurement abilities...you just planning on double checking T/S parameters?

R

RTG

Audioholic
I’ve been spending more time watching movies and I’m loving the results. I will have to run another calibration since I pulled my center out further from the shelf on my tv stand. I was losing clarity with it pushed in. I also pulled my towers out further and toed in more so tweeters are pointed at position 1. I left my subs 3.5 inches from the wall since that eliminates the dips at 70/80hz. DEQ is definitely staying ON with Reference full range. MRC off.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve been spending more time watching movies and I’m loving the results. I will have to run another calibration since I pulled my center out further from the shelf on my tv stand. I was losing clarity with it pushed in. I also pulled my towers out further and toed in more so tweeters are pointed at position 1. I left my subs 3.5 inches from the wall since that eliminates the dips at 70/80hz. DEQ is definitely staying ON with Reference full range. MRC off.
Sounds like you’re good to go!!! Iirc weren’t you talking about adding a pc2k? I wonder if you should use the upgrade program and just get 2 of em. Or get 2 pc’s and move the 1000’s to the back/sides or something.

It’s late...I’m spending your money I guess.

R

RTG

Audioholic
Sounds like you’re good to go!!! Iirc weren’t you talking about adding a pc2k? I wonder if you should use the upgrade program and just get 2 of em. Or get 2 pc’s and move the 1000’s to the back/sides or something.

It’s late...I’m spending your money I guess.
Yeah I’m considering it. My concern is how it will pair. I can’t use the upgrade program, my first PB1000 is 4 years old and my second will be 2 years old next Christmas. I’m probably going to add a 2nd pair of Klipsch Atmos speakers first then the sub end of the year.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I’m considering it. My concern is how it will pair. I can’t use the upgrade program, my first PB1000 is 4 years old and my second will be 2 years old next Christmas. I’m probably going to add a 2nd pair of Klipsch Atmos speakers first then the sub end of the year.
That's one thing I like about Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ HT, it is able to make my PC Ultra with and PB13U work together nicely. When I purchase the PB13U, SVS told me it could be done but it wouldn't be as optimal, yet the results was excellent according to my REW graphs, and the volume button of both subs were at or below the 9'O Clock position, lower than when I only have the PCU. So in my case, there is no trouble with pairing two very different models as long as REQ is on.

R

RTG

Audioholic
That's one thing I like about Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ HT, it is able to make my PC Ultra with and PB13U work together nicely. When I purchase the PB13U, SVS told me it could be done but it wouldn't be as optimal, yet the results was excellent according to my REW graphs, and the volume button of both subs were at or below the 9'O Clock position, lower than when I only have the PCU. So in my case, there is no trouble with pairing two very different models as long as REQ is on.
You’ve peaked my interest. Ed told me it’s not a good idea but a few others including SVS reps said it should be fine. I was thinking a PC2000 or adding 2 more PB1000’s. The PC2000 would be easier to place and cheaper. I would put it about 7ft away from my main spot behind my couch on the side wall.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You’ve peaked my interest. Ed told me it’s not a good idea but a few others including SVS reps said it should be fine. I was thinking a PC2000 or adding 2 more PB1000’s. The PC2000 would be easier to place and cheaper. I would put it about 7ft away from my main spot behind my couch on the side wall.
I was talking to Ed too at the time. They must have more experience with xt32 sub EQ now so you may want to email him again.

By the way, using the avr's level test tone, I used to get 75 dB at vol 0 from my mlp after running auto set up, but with the newer Denon's I am getting about 71 only using the RS spl meter. I wonder if D&M has changed their standard on their calibration test tone level from -30 dBFS to -35 dBFS. Or perhaps Denon has simply lowered the manual test tone by a few dB for whatever reason. If you have the Radio Shack meter, would you checking yours for me please?

R

RTG

Audioholic
I was talking to Ed too at the time. They must have more experience with xt32 sub EQ now so you may want to email him again.

By the way, using the avr's level test tone, I used to get 75 dB at vol 0 from my mlp after running auto set up, but with the newer Denon's I am getting about 71 only using the RS spl meter. I wonder if D&M has changed their standard on their calibration test tone level from -30 dBFS to -35 dBFS. Or perhaps Denon has simply lowered the manual test tone by a few dB for whatever reason. If you have the Radio Shack meter, would you checking yours for me please?
Yeah he said the other day I should get 2 more PB’s. I still have lots of time to decide. Unfortunately I don’t have a RS meter sorry.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

@PENG. FWIW, my digital rat shack meter seems consistent post calibration. It does differ from using my umik/rew as an spl meter. Haven’t spent any time to rectify that though. I know the RS meter loses sensitivity after a certain point, and HTS used to have a chart to offset that but I haven’t looked at that in years.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@PENG. FWIW, my digital rat shack meter seems consistent post calibration. It does differ from using my umik/rew as an spl meter. Haven’t spent any time to rectify that though. I know the RS meter loses sensitivity after a certain point, and HTS used to have a chart to offset that but I haven’t looked at that in years.
Thanks, my RS meter is getting old too, that may or may not having something to do with that. Time permitting, I would try an independently calibrated narrow band pink noise, and REW's as well. It really is nothing to worry about, and I am just being super curious about things like this.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis