Is seems that Yamaha has quit production of 4K and all Blu-ray players!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
On their website, all Blu-ray players are tagged as discontinued.

It now looks like Sony would be the only manufacturer to still produce universal 4K Blu-ray players.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
They trying to get rid of US! They want everyone paying monthly fees for streaming services that way they have a steady income constantly. Greedy bastards!!

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
On their website, all Blu-ray players are tagged as discontinued.

It now looks like Sony would be the only manufacturer to still produce universal 4K Blu-ray players.
Pioneer released last autumn the universal UHD players UDP-LX500 and UDP-LX800, though they apparently are a bit hard to get in USA.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
It's a big conspiracy, collusion!
I bet the cell phone companies are behind this! They want everyone to have just a smartphone with earbuds! And just sell us apps!! And subscriptions to streaming services!!:p

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
NO more physical media? I hate this hobby after spending thousands on equipment and you won't be able to use it without sucky quality streaming services !

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
NO more physical media? I hate this hobby after spending thousands on equipment and you won't be able to use it without sucky quality streaming services !
The way I see it, there isn't much new that is worth the money anyway, but theres countless great titles already out, just keep buying discs!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
And hope there will be players available.
They are right now, and I think anyone who selling off their disc collection is foolish. But this country is a long ways away from having the infrastructure needed to allow these streaming services to even come close to the quality of a disc.

Buy discs, be Happy!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I quit worrying about Blu-Ray players long ago. Just use my Xbox One and it does everything I need for modern gaming and blu-ray playback too.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
They trying to get rid of US! They want everyone paying monthly fees for streaming services that way they have a steady income constantly. Greedy bastards!!
Everyone wants to end hardware. Think about it- less manufacturing, less waste going into landfills, no disc storage, more simple systems & installation......

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
My goal is to acquire so much stuff in my life when I go they will name a landfill after me!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If one wants to ensure that he will be able to play his discs in the future, he would be wise to acquire one or even two more Blu-ray players while they are available.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
It seems like the industry is trying to turn us away from physical media, just like they tried to turn us away from vinyl. A blu-ray from red box costs $2.19 to rent for the night. A streamed movie will cost you $6 or $7 bucks from Direct TV, Vudu, etc.etc. So in essence twice as much to stream. Streaming quality can be good, IF you have good fast internet, AND you can hard-wire your gear. But the picture and sound of a disc can't be beat, IMO. Will consumers let disc fade away, or will we keep them alive like a lot of us did with vinyl?

I'm curious, how many folks here have started a collection of 4k discs?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Luckily for those who use their game consoles to play physical media, Microsoft is also getting rid of the disc drive on their next generation of Xbox One:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/report-xbox-one-no-disc-drive-2019/
Yup, I've seen that. But, it doesn't necessarily mean that ALL future XBox One iterations will be drive-less

Heck, I haven't had a disc drive on my laptop(s) for many years now. I do have a USB optical drive that I have needed a couple times over the years, but rarely.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It seems like the industry is trying to turn us away from physical media, just like they tried to turn us away from vinyl. A blu-ray from red box costs $2.19 to rent for the night. A streamed movie will cost you $6 or $7 bucks from Direct TV, Vudu, etc.etc. So in essence twice as much to stream. Streaming quality can be good, IF you have good fast internet, AND you can hard-wire your gear. But the picture and sound of a disc can't be beat, IMO. Will consumers let disc fade away, or will we keep them alive like a lot of us did with vinyl?

I'm curious, how many folks here have started a collection of 4k discs?
I have a modest collection of 4k discs. I don't plan to build a large collection, most of the stuff that I really want to own (physical copy), I already own on BRD or DVD formats. Most of those, I would not see the need to repurchase in 4K.

Yeah, that redbox rental at $2.19 a night adds up when you forget to return the disc for several days :p

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis