My Oppo 105 might be done

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Hi all,

I tried to turn on the 105 this morning, and when I power it up, it won't stay on, it just goes off after few seconds. I tried unplugging it for a few minutes and plugging it back in, no go. I did reach out to Oppo tech support and I'm waiting to hear back, but given the the company's current status I have doubts about getting it repaired. I'm very disappointed, as this player produces excellent audio and video with Blu-rays and the few DVD-audio discs that I have. I was not interested in upgrading to a 4k player because I didn't really want to start buying 4k discs and starting a collection. It seems the only way to watch 4k discs is to buy them. So this machine was used for playing blu rays and a few multi-channel audio discs, and my girlfriend uses it to stream Netflix and Vudu. I still enjoy physical media because I think it still produces the very best audio and video.

If I do end up having to replace it, given what I use it for, can anybody recommend a high quality player that will perform on par with the 105?
Thanks,

earl

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not at all familiar with them, but I know Pioneer makes some expensive units (whether that translates to quality, I can't say).
I have been happy with the Sony units I have, and unless there is something about BD players to cause them to be much less reliable than CD players, I can say that the death of your Oppo does not impress for durability. However, the Sony's I have do not have as many features and flexibility as the Oppo (I have a 105D).
If you just need a BDP, just get a Sony.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I'm not at all familiar with them, but I know Pioneer makes some expensive units (whether that translates to quality, I can't say).
I have been happy with the Sony units I have, and unless there is something about BD players to cause them to be much less reliable than CD players, I can say that the death of your Oppo does not impress for durability. However, the Sony's I have do not have as many features and flexibility as the Oppo (I have a 105D).
If you just need a BDP, just get a Sony.
Thanks Kurt - I'm not impressed with their durability either. Five months after I bought it, it stopped reading discs and I had to send it back to them. they sent me a brand new one but still....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Try a new HDMI cable just in case you picked up a short somehow

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd just have it serviced thru Oppo, can't think anything else as cost effective.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I'd just have it serviced thru Oppo, can't think anything else as cost effective.
Yes, that's what I'm gonna do. They sent me some trouble shooting steps but it didn't work. So I'm gonna send it in. I really don't want to retire it because I enjoy the great performance of the player..

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Matching the video specs should not be a problem (Sony, Panasonic, Samsung) but I doubt he can match the audio specs without spending at least 3 times the cost of the 105. Owning one myself I'd opt to get it fixed and as quickly as possible as long as Oppo is in business to do so. Still can't believe they're going out of business.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Matching the video specs should not be a problem (Sony, Panasonic, Samsung) but I doubt he can match the audio specs without spending at least 3 times the cost of the 105. Owning one myself I'd opt to get it fixed and as quickly as possible as long as Oppo is in business to do so. Still can't believe they're going out of business.
I didn't think they were going out of business, just the bd players. Their phone business is huge in the Pacific Rim

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, that's what I'm gonna do. They sent me some trouble shooting steps but it didn't work. So I'm gonna send it in. I really don't want to retire it because I enjoy the great performance of the player..
If they are responding, and ready to accept a service claim from you - I would not hesitate to send it in. I am sure when you get it back, you will have a like new player.

Additionally, there is an OPPO owners group on Facebook that gets responses from OPPO engineers. I would suggest sending it in, and then posting about it in that group, so more than 2000 other owners will see your service claim, from start to finish.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Just soon get something else , LG, discontinue production of 1080p HDTV.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Thanks Ponzio - I can't believe they are going out of business either.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
So Oppo is charging $119 which includes shipping all parts and labor. My other option was to just get something like this.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158X1000ES/Sony-ES-UBP-X1000ES.html

I still really like my 105 though. I never went for the 203 or the 205 because I believe it was a mistake by them to remove streaming functionality.

Have you guys seen what a 205 is going for now?!!! There is an Oppo 205 on "sale" at Amazon for $4,000!!!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
So Oppo is charging $119 which includes shipping all parts and labor. My other option was to just get something like this.

I still really like my 105 though. I never went for the 203 or the 205 because I believe it was a mistake by them to remove streaming functionality.

Have you guys seen what a 205 is going for now?!!! There is an Oppo 205 on "sale" at Amazon for $4,000!!!
Keep it and pay the $119! It is sad that Oppo stopped production, but is a great investment on your part. Unfortunately, I missed the '205 boat...

As for your other options, I too am interested in the last of the universal players by Pioneer, Panasonic and Sony to replace my '103. It seems the Pioneer is leading the pack for sound quality considerations (which is my primary concern).

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja

Considering you could still sell it for multitudes higher than that service charge, I would consider it well worth it! I LOVE the DAC in the 205, and for serious music listening, I couldn't imagine parting with a 105!

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
I am merely curious. What audio specs are you claiming that Oppo is better at? I've had two Oppos some time ago and both of them didn't last anywhere near as long as they should have (less than 2 years).

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I am merely curious. What audio specs are you claiming that Oppo is better at? I've had two Oppos some time ago and both of them didn't last anywhere near as long as they should have (less than 2 years).
Superior DAC chip; Sabre ESS SABRE32 Reference Audiophile DAC.

Surprised to hear yours only lasted 2 years. Since I've been on the forum I haven't heard that many complaints from other members and they're built like tanks. In fact that was the main reason I bought it. God knows it wasn't the price :)

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
This is the second time I've had to send an Oppo 105 back. Hopefully this is it.

I sent it this morning. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice. :cool: I did have to pay shipping by the way. $62 bucks. I'll post when I get it back. I'm curious about other players. I might pick one of those Sony's up from BB, just to try it out..

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic

Surprised to hear yours only lasted 2 years. Since I've been on the forum I haven't heard that many complaints from other members and they're built like tanks. In fact that was the main reason I bought it. God knows it wasn't the price:)

Surprised to hear yours only lasted 2 years. Since I've been on the forum I haven't heard that many complaints from other members and they're built like tanks. In fact that was the main reason I bought it. God knows it wasn't the price:)
In all honesty I really can't tell any difference in audio quality between any formats that are higher than 16 bit. Sony's Master HD Audio is excellent, which is playable on any Sony player.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
In all honesty I really can't tell any difference in audio quality between any formats that are higher than 16 bit. Sony's Master HD Audio is excellent, which is playable on any Sony player.
What can I tell you bro?

I haven't heard Sony's Master HD player(s) but the Oppo sounded way better to me, by a country mile, than my then current Sony CD player or Panasonic, Samsung DVD units I had at home and the audiophile grade ... whatever that means ... players that I demoed at some high end brick & mortar shops (Cambridge, Marantz, Yamaha, etc.) back in 2013, before I decided to purchase the 105. And it played DVD/Blue-Ray's to boot :)

Just one mans opinion, no more or less.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis