Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
My receiver has a connection for a media player. When I search media player online, I get software programs and components.
I want something that provides for storage and playback of music and movies at the highest quality. Plug and play helps me. KISS me please!

What do you recommend? Thanks

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Your searches make sense.
Media player - used to play back music files stored on a computer, NAS, etc. JRivers, Foobar, WindowsMP, etc
These will not be plugged into your receiver but are software for PC based playback.

Components - devices used for online streaming services (Tidal, Spotify, etc.).
These will plug into your receiver. Examples:
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_105800/Music-Servers.html?tp=71839

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Your searches make sense.
Media player - used to play back music files stored on a computer, NAS, etc. JRivers, Foobar, WindowsMP, etc
These will not be plugged into your receiver but are software for PC based playback.

Components - devices used for online streaming services (Tidal, Spotify, etc.).
These will plug into your receiver. Examples:
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_105800/Music-Servers.html?tp=71839
Thanks Joe. They are not cheap!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Nvidia sheild (example) as the player and storage either seperate or add JBOD to existing PC. Use a client like serviio on the PC, and stream away.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My receiver has a connection for a media player. When I search media player online, I get software programs and components.
I want something that provides for storage and playback of music and movies at the highest quality. Plug and play helps me. KISS me please!

What do you recommend? Thanks
If you want the convenience without the high cost and the receiver has a USB port, you can use memory sticks- best to use an extension cable so it's easy to change, but this would play .wav files and you can see what's playing with the on-screen display. You can search by playlist, Artist, Genre (sometimes), song or album. If you get tired of one stick, change it.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
If you want the convenience without the high cost and the receiver has a USB port, you can use memory sticks- best to use an extension cable so it's easy to change, but this would play .wav files and you can see what's playing with the on-screen display. You can search by playlist, Artist, Genre (sometimes), song or album. If you get tired of one stick, change it.
Yes it has a USB port in the front.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes it has a USB port in the front.
Might have one on the rear, too- I have a Yamaha MusicCast piece and sometimes, I play music from sources other than my collection and it's great- make sure it's formatted correctly, though. The manufacturer will be able to tell you whether it's FAT16, FAT32, etc.

B

Brettc

Audioholic
My old Harmon Kardon want do it either. The only way I can steam is through my pc. I have to run pc to tv from tv to reciever fiber optics from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Brettc

Audioholic
It recognized as media and I can use 5.1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Nvidia sheild (example) as the player and storage either seperate or add JBOD to existing PC. Use a client like serviio on the PC, and stream away.
+1 for Nvidia Shield TV. Get the pro version if you ever intend to use it to watch movies from your mobile devices.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The plug and play streamer for me is Apple TV 4K. That gets me the honest bitrate from each App. I’m an iPhone and iPad user so those are my remotes. The remote that comes with the Apple is not what I use.

This option doesn’t offer much storage but I’m streaming not storing. :)

A

Antonkonlunecy

Audiophyte
If you use hard drives, think about Zidoo, support up to 10TB and Zidoo Z10 even have internal HDD bay.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
OP, Here's the cheapest route to getting the whole enchilada: Buy a Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD. It's an external sound card. It converts usb to S/PDIF sending native signal up to 24/96 from your computer to your receiver's Toslink input. With this device you can play from any media player you have on your computer. I use my X-FI HD also to digitize LP's. The device is usually sold for about $80 these days. The quality is outstanding in all manner that quality is discerned with the sound rivaling my stereo SACD system results. I have two other methods of getting digital files from computer to my prepro: 1. Airport Express, which receives music files wirelessly from computer, up or down sampling them to 16/44.1, and sending to prepro via RCA or S/PDIF, and 2. usb to OPPO-205 DAC up sampling to 24/192 and sending to prepro via RCA. Of these three methods, the X-FI HD is the best for a multitude of reasons, from convenience to sound quality but most of all no drop outs and no sequence of steps to get ignition as is required using OPPOs DAC.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
OP, Here's the cheapest route to getting the whole enchilada: Buy a Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD. It's an external sound card. It converts usb to S/PDIF sending native signal up to 24/96 from your computer to your receiver's Toslink input. With this device you can play from any media player you have on your computer. I use my X-FI HD also to digitize LP's. The device is usually sold for about $80 these days. The quality is outstanding in all manner that quality is discerned with the sound rivaling my stereo SACD system results. I have two other methods of getting digital files from computer to my prepro: 1. Airport Express, which receives music files wirelessly from computer, up or down sampling them to 16/44.1, and sending to prepro via RCA or S/PDIF, and 2. usb to OPPO-205 DAC up sampling to 24/192 and sending to prepro via RCA. Of these three methods, the X-FI HD is the best for a multitude of reasons, from convenience to sound quality but most of all no drop outs and no sequence of steps to get ignition as is required using OPPOs DAC.
What about his video needs?

K

Kasperlab

Audiophyte
The plug and play streamer for me is Apple TV 4K. That gets me the honest bitrate from each App. I’m an iPhone and iPad user so those are my remotes. The remote that comes with the Apple is not what I use.

This option doesn’t offer much storage but I’m streaming not storing. :)
Does the Apple TV 4K have any storage?
I have a first gen Apple TV, which of course has been obsoleted by Apple. The big advantage for me was it has a hard disk and I can play my collection when not online.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Does the Apple TV 4K have any storage?
I have a first gen Apple TV, which of course has been obsoleted by Apple. The big advantage for me was it has a hard disk and I can play my collection when not online.
64GB on one of mine. The other one is 32

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis