Are you Ditching Your Cable Company?

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, by December you’ll probably get GOT BluRay as a gift. :D
Andrew, GOT better be worth the wait. Seems to be some fairly new members participating more which is a good thing, but your right seems to have slowed down a lot.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Andrew, GOT better be worth the wait. Seems to be some fairly new members participating more which is a good thing, but your right seems to have slowed down a lot.
I hope GOT is worth the wait too.

But I feel better knowing that they are going to do a spinoff of GOT - I think the setting for the new show is about 10,000 years before the time of GOT. Hopefully the spinoff will be just as great and also last another 8 years. :D

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I'm working on it. Picked up a Toshiba 49 inch smart Tv with Amazon Prime built in. No problems with connectivity and I love the content. Bosch is my favorite. Anyway my wired ATT Uverse box quit on me so I'm watching March Madness in my bedroom with the wireless. As soon as I add the channels I want to prime I think I will ditch Uverse. Might take a while but I should be able to save some $$.

R

Rob_z

Enthusiast
Also ditched cable. In addition to streaming services, I have also incorporated the HD Homerun Extend and the Channels DVR service (DVR runs on a NAS or PC) and powered antenna in the attic. Best part is that all content is available from one device (Apple TV) which has a high WAF.

Dougroa

Dougroa

Audiophyte
My DIL recently eliminated cable in favor of just ROADRUNNER . That , coupled with the giant Channel Master log periodic that I installed 40 years ago , gives us everything we want . We use Netflix , etc . I am a huge fan of music , so I still enjoy listening to one of the 1000 + records I have accumulated since 1962 . Other than that , I need time for reading and fly-fishing .

S

Soccacrazy24

Audiophyte
Cord cutting is the new fad and had been on the trend for years. We cut the cord when we last moved a couple years ago. I agree with most people in saying paying for better internet and saving on your tv bill works better. I haven't read much into certain differences between some cable cutting devices (we have a firestick) but we also have an HD antenna. Nothing wrong with good old local channels to suffice. What specific questions did you have about TiVo bolt?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Cord cutting is the new fad and had been on the trend for years. We cut the cord when we last moved a couple years ago. I agree with most people in saying paying for better internet and saving on your tv bill works better. I haven't read much into certain differences between some cable cutting devices (we have a firestick) but we also have an HD antenna. Nothing wrong with good old local channels to suffice. What specific questions did you have about TiVo bolt?
I cancelled Cable a little over a year ago; but, I retained internet from Spectrum. This permitted me to get programing via my "Smart TV's". I also have an antenna attached to two of my TVs, getting about 40+ stations clearly. For the most part I use the smart tv concept for HULU and Amazon Prime. This gets me all the programing I am interested in at a lower cost than alternatives. I recently cancelled internet from Spectrum for AT&T internet via optical cable. It is 20 dollars a month less than Spectrum. I left all wiring and modem/router in place though for Spectrum should they counter with an offer to get me back.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Optimum/Altice has "finally" decided to jump the wagon on cable modem fees. Extra $10/month.
Bought Arris SB6183 on Amazon. Works fine. They can chock on their stupid modem fee.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Looking to cut the cord, but Sling TV doesn't carry all my local channels in North Center Fl. Hulu Live does. I have Spectrum ( we call it rectum in our area) now and the price is getting a little outragous. We have 60 meg internet, phone, and the cable ,with DVR. Most lijkelly will drop the phone, buy my own modem ( not sure which one) and not sure about the DVR weather to go with a cloud based service or a standalone box.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Cut mine last week, COX is expensive! Their so called bundle deals are Not cheap the first 12 months you get a cut, after the 12 months 13 to 24 it's their higher price. I had their lowest deal and that was 150 a month after the 12th month it was to go up to 268! So I called in canceled. 5K for two years? Umm Not! That's a really nice pair of Salk speakers man! AT&T and rest ain't no better. Greedy bast$$ds are scrambling customers are dropping like flies from them.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Optimum/Altice has "finally" decided to jump the wagon on cable modem fees. Extra $10/month.
Bought Arris SB6183 on Amazon. Works fine. They can chock on their stupid modem fee.
Modem fees, yeah at 8.99 a month or more, let's see umm say 10 million customers and that's a small figure X 9 bucks comes to umm greedy bast$$ds! that's on top of their over priced cable, or satellite deals. They been laughing all the way to the bank on the consumers back's. Smoking fine cigars drinking whiskey at the local golf club. Not to mention Hollywood movie industry already gets enough money from consumers in billions. Thing is them actors could care less about about you. Get yourself a over the air 20 buck antenna you'll pick up all your local stations for free well not totally free still gotta pay for your TV and electric bill. Nothing is Free! Lol

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Modem fees, yeah at 8.99 a month or more, let's see umm say 10 million customers and that's a small figure X 9 bucks comes to umm greedy bast$$ds! that's on top of their over priced cable, or satellite deals. They been laughing all the way to the bank on the consumers back's. Smoking fine cigars drinking whiskey at the local golf club. Not to mention Hollywood movie industry already gets enough money from consumers in billions. Thing is them actors could care less about about you. Get yourself a over the air 20 buck antenna you'll pick up all your local stations for free well not totally free still gotta pay for your TV and electric bill. Nothing is Free! Lol
Funny thing is cable tv original sell points was to have paid TV without the ads. Nowadays you still paying (a lot more) and have a huge crapload of ads, including masqueraded as TV shows (too many HGTV shows)
For me and my kids, the concept of flipping channels is dead in the water. Streaming for the win!!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
We quit six years ago and havn't missed it. We are over the air for local channels with a Channel Master unit that gives us the on air guide and DVR. We stream with ROKU and Apple TV. There literally isn't anything we miss and we've picked up a great deal. Live sports is the toughest but we've solved that with good choices. We pay less and enjoy more than before.

This was all before my experience with AH. We had to DIY it and thankfully it wasn't hard. Glad Gene could make the jump. Its a personal one and everyone will make an individual choice as they are able.

Mrwirez

Mrwirez

Audiophyte
TiVo is a great service, but it is too expensivō.

I don't want to sign up for any DVR service with a monthly fee. Back in the day, my old HTPC worked well with Windows MC.

Currently, we subscribe to Hulu, versus giving any more "limbs" to Comcast. I like the idiot proof DVR Hulu provides. I think we get 200 hours of "recordings" or so, which is plenty for our family.

First world problems...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, this thread is only 8 months old.

But it's close to the end of the year.

Anyone else quit cable? :D

I saw the Cox Cable advertisement on Audioholics website. So just for kicks, I called them to ask.

I am paying $80/month TOTAL FINAL COST (hardware, fees, everything) for LIFE for the AT&T (1,000 Mbps) Gigabit Fiber Optic service.

With Cox Cable, their 940 Mbps "GigaBlast) service normal price is $120/mo + $11/mo for the hardware + who knows what else fees and taxes they charge.

Cox GigaBlast also has a "Cap" of 1TB data usage per month. AT&T Gigabit service does NOT have a Cap.

Cox is such a RIPOFF.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Well, this thread is only 8 months old.

But it's close to the end of the year.

Anyone else quit cable? :D

I saw the Cox Cable advertisement on Audioholics website. So just for kicks, I called them to ask.

I am paying $80/month TOTAL FINAL COST (hardware, fees, everything) for LIFE for the AT&T (1,000 Mbps) Gigabit Fiber Optic service.

With Cox Cable, their 940 Mbps "GigaBlast) service normal price is $120/mo + $11/mo for the hardware + who knows what else fees and taxes they charge.

Cox GigaBlast also has a "Cap" of 1TB data usage per month. AT&T Gigabit service does NOT have a Cap.

Cox is such a RIPOFF.
@AcuDefTechGuy
Before reaching a summary judgement on Cox, perhaps another viewpoint is in order.
I ditched cable some 6 years ago now when we bought our new house. New house, ditch the cable and just stream. Its been a wonderful experience and definitely cheaper.

One of the problems of summary judgements is they cast too wide a net. For us in our market, Phoenix, there are really only two choices : Centurylink (DSL) and COX (ethernet based) connections. Also, for us, we had to make the choice of how to get what is traditionally termed "cable TV". That meant COX to us. We ditched COX for cable TV. We have had Centurylink before and disliked every minute of it. We stream now.

But, as these things go, Cox still provides the internet connectivity (but no phone service or cable tv) to us.
In our market, they are by far the better choice over DSL and Centurylink. And in our experience, Cox delivers a solid internet product here.

Is Cox at 300Mbps (that's the level of service we are getting) too much compared to our other choice? No. Our other choice is Centurylink and I'd sooner go back to reading hardbacked books as to spend money with those guys. We could upgrade to the highspeed stuff, the Gigablast, but frankly I wouldn't see a benefit.

I think all the providers in this space suck at customer service and they all charge too much money. But, Cox for internet where I have the choice is a solid provider. Its up all the time. It rarely screws up. The throughput is awesome. We can stream, game and let the grandkids connect all they want.

Just another viewpoint. There's room for all our opinions out there in the wild n woolly world of the web.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@AcuDefTechGuy
Before reaching a summary judgement on Cox, perhaps another viewpoint is in order.
I ditched cable some 6 years ago now when we bought our new house. New house, ditch the cable and just stream. Its been a wonderful experience and definitely cheaper.

One of the problems of summary judgements is they cast too wide a net. For us in our market, Phoenix, there are really only two choices : Centurylink (DSL) and COX (ethernet based) connections. Also, for us, we had to make the choice of how to get what is traditionally termed "cable TV". That meant COX to us. We ditched COX for cable TV. We have had Centurylink before and disliked every minute of it. We stream now.

But, as these things go, Cox still provides the internet connectivity (but no phone service or cable tv) to us.
In our market, they are by far the better choice over DSL and Centurylink. And in our experience, Cox delivers a solid internet product here.

Is Cox at 300Mbps (that's the level of service we are getting) too much compared to our other choice? No. Our other choice is Centurylink and I'd sooner go back to reading hardbacked books as to spend money with those guys. We could upgrade to the highspeed stuff, the Gigablast, but frankly I wouldn't see a benefit.

I think all the providers in this space suck at customer service and they all charge too much money. But, Cox for internet where I have the choice is a solid provider. Its up all the time. It rarely screws up. The throughput is awesome. We can stream, game and let the grandkids connect all they want.

Just another viewpoint. There's room for all our opinions out there in the wild n woolly world of the web.
Oh, too bad you don't have AT&T Gigabit Fiber Optic Internet in your area.

How much additional fees and taxes does Cox charge for the 300 Mbps Internet?

What is your total cost per month for the 300 Mbps Internet?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
@AcuDefTechGuy

We cut cable about 3 yrs ago and already have banked over $3k in savings.

Our cable option was/is Comcast. Our ISP provider...Comcast, or AT&T...AT&T had their fiber out here (northeast metro ATL) and due to our mobile phone account we get a lifetime $10 a mo bundling discount...We took the 1 Gig option....ethernet is 750-800 down, and wifi is around 300-400 down depending on the time of day which seems like overkill and it is sometimes, but with a gamer in the house I'm glad we have it.

For TV...I've used the YouTube app bundler...$45 a mo plus the $80 for internet...well over a $100 less than our cable/internet bill was. Comcast is definitely not going away...they are promoting their fastest speed internet and if you sign up they give you their streaming app bundler for free...I'm thinking about that one when we renew.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I don't have any traditional stations anymore. Between Netflix, Prime, iTunes subscriptions and Disney+, I've got plenty here to watch and just buy a season of a good TV show I want to watch (have current subscriptions for Magnum PI and Ancient Aliens and have to the first two seasons of that Kobra Kai show and Star Trek Discovery to watch yet (already finished first two seasons of The Orville).

I also get 12 channels over the air from the antenna I can watch in real time (think half are in HD) and three more should come online in the next year there. I thought about getting a DVR to record the shows, but I hardly ever watch them (I hate commercials in general which I don't miss on cable AT ALL, even having to skip them with a DVR). I save $123 a month since ditching cable. I now pay $87 a month for unlimited long distance digital phone and 110 down, 12 up Mbps Internet from my cable company. If I wanted to spend $80 a month just for the Internet part, I could get 500Mbps down and for $150, 1 Gigabit the last time I checked. I don't know if they've changed their fees since then. 110Mbps can do 4K in real time just fine for one viewer (me) so I don't see the need.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis