HDMI CEC 4K Home Theater System Help

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I have CEC turned OFF on all devices, it just really annoys me turning things on and off when they shouldnt be. AppleTV does not play nice with CEC. The main system is always on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Personally, I'm not a fan of CEC unless the TV is connected to one or two sources and even then, I would use a universal remote because I sometimes like to have the TV on when I listen to music- with a universal remote, I can add Tune+/- to whatever activity I want.

I don't like equipment making my viewing/listening decisions for me.

N

nefarious

Enthusiast
Thanks for the detailed info! A great deal of things not communicating as well as expected with CEC and different makes and models not fully communicating properly perhaps? In my case which perhaps complicates matters is an early ARC compliant Panasonic "Smart" TV with limited outdated intelligence so I guess I may as well get an older Panasonic Home Theater System or close to in specs with the so called Viera and add to it such as a network interface with more app capabilities or even a small older PC for Internet/network streaming. The above mentioned example is cheap used with 2012/14 vintage and can be added to bit by bit. Not 4K but my TV isn't either. When the 2011 Panasonic packs it in the latest 4K HDCP AVR/HTIB will be out there for a longer period of time than they are now. Also open box items show up from time to time as well. It's like computers, buy the latest greatest and the prices are scary, look on eBay and one can find something quite substantial still on warranty or not working just fine for a fraction of new cost. Thankfully just the answers I got on this one thread have opened my eyes up considerably.
Quite simply "baby steps" or learning to walk

N

nefarious

Enthusiast
Personally, I'm not a fan of CEC unless the TV is connected to one or two sources and even then, I would use a universal remote because I sometimes like to have the TV on when I listen to music- with a universal remote, I can add Tune+/- to whatever activity I want.

I don't like equipment making my viewing/listening decisions for me.
The majority opinion is CEC leaves a lot to be desired and I'm hung up needlessly on it limiting my options as well!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The majority opinion is CEC leaves a lot to be desired and I'm hung up needlessly on it limiting my options as well!
I use it in my bedroom because I only have the TV and a Roku, so it switches over when I press a Roku button, but I still have to select the input when I want to watch TV. I did the same in the living room, but I can still watch TV if I'm playing music.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The Chromecast has some support for CEC like play, pause and stop (does not work when casting a screen from Chrome, though). I've enabled CEC on my TV and receiver for this reason only as I use a Harmony remote, but I've disabled stuff like power on/off, input switch and so on that could interfere.

N

nefarious

Enthusiast
Back to the drawing board for myself. I started watching numerous Youtubes on some questionable considerations such as the SC-BTT195, and similar very close models and many only have one HDMI port not giving much for options, very cheap speakers including a small hole drilled in the back and a wire hanging out, apps that are outdated or not working etc. and I was reminded of this on my 2011 Panasonic with hardly any apps even working or anything usefull not available. Spending $200-300++ on something used, obsolete, and of questionable quality is perhaps a step backwards. Sitting beside my TV is a higher end Pioneer Stero system and I also have a Technics Stero amp kicking around as well so even if I have to pick up an optic cable adapter with RCA jacks would get me by for now and even using a ghetto blaster would be better than those horrible spawn of Satan speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis