B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
need one for a pair of 230s

los angeles area, will pick up

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Ah, what a shame. These were on sale two weeks ago on NewEgg Flash very cheap. If I see them go on sale again I'll try to remember to send you a PM.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
Ah, what a shame. These were on sale two weeks ago on NewEgg Flash very cheap. If I see them go on sale again I'll try to remember to send you a PM.
i got a notification on slickdeals and they were out by then. as;lkdjfsajf;alfjds;ajkd
thanks appreciate it

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
anyone know if these have been discontinued?
if so ill sell the 230s

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
IIRC, JBL.com has showed the 235C as "currently not available" for a while now. However, the JBL Studio 520C would also be an excellent match to your 230s I bet. Then maybe down the road you could replace your mains with Studio 580 or 590 towers and move your 230s to surround duty.
is that center an upgrade to the 235c and does it use the same tweeter as the 230s? ive sen that one sale for a couple hundred. also noticed it has much smaller woofers.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
is that center an upgrade to the 235c and does it use the same tweeter as the 230s? ive sen that one sale for a couple hundred. also noticed it has much smaller woofers.
Hey, the 520c is currently on sale for $180 on JBL.com. If I were you, I'd jump on that.

Is the 520c an upgrade to the 235c? I could be mistaken, but I think it's a successor, for what that's worth. Is it the same tweeter? Well, no, the 520c employs a horn-loaded compression driver, whereas the 235c uses a dome tweeter in a waveguide built to resemble a horn. I would guess it's close enough in tuning, though. Sound & Vision's measurements of the 2xx speakers seem to demonstrate a pretty similar timbre to the 5xx line (or at least the 590 measured there). Re: smaller woofers, you would give up a little sensitivity and low end extension. JBL.com claims the 235c reaches 55 Hz and plays at 91 dB/w/m; whereas the 520c extends to 60 Hz with an 88 dB/w/m sensitivity. That frequency difference is negligible, though, equaling somewhere between a minor and major second; and the sensitivity difference probably wouldn't matter much unless you like to listen at reference volumes with mediocre amplification. But as a benefit, I would predict the 520c with its smaller woofers and lower crossover point would be less susceptible to cone breakup, and could probably play louder without getting shouty.

(When I say somewhere between a minor and major second, think of a solfege scale. Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do. Right? The difference between 55 and 60 Hz wouldn't quite stretch from Do to Re on that scale.)

Last edited:
B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
ill just keep looking for sales on the 235c. i want all 3 to match. but im starting to tire of waiting for the 235c to get back in stock, even more to be on sale again for $100
any other recommendations for lrc that sound like these jbls, $500 to $600 tops for all 3? want something fun and dynamic for movies like these. using for movies only

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
ill just keep looking for sales on the 235c. i want all 3 to match. but im starting to tire of waiting for the 235c to get back in stock, even more to be on sale again for $100
any other recommendations for lrc that sound like these jbls, $500 to $600 tops for all 3? want something fun and dynamic for movies like these. using for movies only
Aw snap! Newegg Flash has it refurb on sale for $99 with a bonus $5 promo gift card. As long as you don't mind refurb, now's your chance!

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
do you guys have any suggestions for setup?
should i toe in the 230s?
im going to put a rolled up towel under the 235c front to aim it at ear level.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
awesome. i think ill order the 210 surrounds. do those include whatever is needed to mount on the wall? keyhole bracket screws or something? i dont see that on the description

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
I ordered 4 210s for height atmos, and 4 220s to replace my bs22s and to better match my infinity 263s

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
I ordered 4 210s for height atmos, and 4 220s to replace my bs22s and to better match my infinity 263s
wow what receiver do you have? i have denon 3300 and i think it allows only 2 atmos speakers

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
wow what receiver do you have? i have denon 3300 and i think it allows only 2 atmos speakers
Rx 683 it only allows 2 but at $79 shipped no tax was a cheap future proof when I get my denon 4500 and an amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis