7.2.4 in-ceiling speaker placement advice

wxchaser

wxchaser

Audioholic Intern
Needed - surround speakers diagram/advice
Just moved into new home mid-December 2018 - and I need to purchase surround speakers.

Currently have Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RP-140 SA (one pair),Klipsch RC-62 II center, and just recently purchased/received 2 pair of RSL C34E in ceiling (Atmos) speakers. I am upgrading from Paradigm to one or two SVS-SB2000 subs.

Plan to use the RSL C34E speakers as Atmos - and to use Klipsch CDT-3650-C-II as surrounds (may use the Klipsch CDT-5650-C-II speakers instead). There will be 4 Klipsch speakers in ceiling utilized for front and rear surround speakers.

Replacing old Onkyo TX-NR747 with a Marantz SR-8012 AVR, and going to replace a very old Paradigm sub with SVS-SB200 subs (want to use 2 subs).

Looking for your advice or suggestions re: in ceiling speaker placement (tried using Dolby Atmos guides and also Dolby recommendations for speaker placement, did a rough diagram. Listening position is approx. 9 to 10 feet away from wall. Planning to replace old stereo rack with a Sanus rack.

Entertainment room configuration:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome to AH.

I don't think the drawing and actual pictures line up properly. I presume the drawing is a stock model take off?

Your Atmos in ceiling speakers needs to be two in front of the listening position and two behind it a bit.
The surround should be on the wall per Dolby and in that room, you should do two in the back wall as you have a decent distance to it

wxchaser

wxchaser

Audioholic Intern
First rendering - just trying to get proper positioning for 4 Atmos speakers (RSL C34E) & for 4 surround speakers which will be probably the Klipsch CDT-5650-C-II speakers. Thanks for your advice, problems with the door under the stairway mean I can't use in wall speakers for surrounds.

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
Lucky man... my down stairs family room has my mother in law living in it lol,
I have to use the “ up stairs den “ which is high traffic and can’t turn anything up...

Good luck with your audio system !

wxchaser

wxchaser

Audioholic Intern
Just took a look downstairs and it would be easy to place the Atmos speakers 2 feet forward of the listening position (and 2 feet behind).

wxchaser

wxchaser

Audioholic Intern
Ceiling height will determine how far fore and aft the LP to be close to the 45° angle. Also, whatever the height from your ears to ceiling should be the distance from center fore and aft.
Thanks for the link, I had used other Dolby guides but your link was really detailed.

My biggest issue is ifI want vertical separation from the bed-layer speakers (left, center, right, left surround, right surround) and the height speakers (in-ceiling Atmos). - I'll need to use in-wall speakers. Due to room issues I am not sure where to even place the front surrounds in-wall - the rear surround speakers the room should allow me to place them in a symmetric manner, due to the room issues (stairwell, doors, fireplace, etc.).

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How far is the LP from the back wall? It looks like a long ways to me. I MIGHT got 5.x.4 in your case. Depends on that distance.
If you went into these two spots, much different would they be? Sometimes that’s all a guy can do. I’m guessing the left surround would be somewhere in the middle of the door.
For myself, another option could be BS speakers on stands. If that’s a closet then you could just pick up the speaker/stand and move it. But that would also be messy with wires. I’ll quit rambling. Coffee.....

wxchaser

wxchaser

Audioholic Intern
9 feet from back wall is LP. Also drinking coffee!

wxchaser

wxchaser

Audioholic Intern
Took a couple more pictures to show the room idiosyncrasies - hope it helps garner suggestions on front & rear surround speaker locations re: listening position (leather couch & recliner - specifically the couch). I can't figure out where I should mount front surrounds where they would be aligned.

Front of theater room:

Back of theater room:

wxchaser

wxchaser

Audioholic Intern
I can see your recommendations for in wall speakers next to stairway closet door and next to fireplace. Those locations would be juxtaposed with the speaker left of the stairway storage door being displaced relative to the speaker placement to the left of the fireplace. The other photos are black.

Those are the only 2 edits you made that I can see William. Thank you.

Last edited:
wxchaser

wxchaser

Audioholic Intern
I did some measurements today - if I do in-walls speakers to the left of the fireplace & to the left of the door underneath stairway - there would be a speaker displacement of approximately 48 inches (4 feet) - although the in-wall speakers would be at the same height.

Hopefully the audio correction/calibration software in the Marantz AVR (Audyssey MultEQ® XT32 ) would make the necessary adjustments to be more balanced sound from the surrounds for my listening position.

wxchaser

wxchaser

Audioholic Intern
Suggested Atmos & Surround speaker placement for theater room:

Red dots are in-ceiling surrounds & blue circles are Atmos speakers. Suggested it would be better going with in-wall or ceiling mount bookshelf speakers for the surrounds, to get better separation. If I used in-wall speakers, they would be displaced about 4' apart due to door and fireplace by listening position.

Pinpoint AM41C side-clamp speaker ceiling mounts (these would be used on rear wall of home theater room, but concerned with distance from LP.

It is 13' from my front wall to listening position, and also about 13' from the back wall in theater room. Measured flat ceiling height at 8'8" floor to ceiling. Seated in the listening position, ear height ~ 3 feet.

whatever the height from your ears to ceiling should be the distance from center fore and aft.
I get about 5'8" (roughly 6 feet) for the distance from center fore & aft. Measuring from side walls distance was approximately 6"6" from each side of LP.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry buddy. On the road. In short, do not mount bed layer speakers on/in the ceiling. If that’s a necessity the forgo atmos.

F

Frankfuchs

Audiophyte
I have a feet I'm back at my couch to the back wall is that too far back for my rear speakers on my 7.1 system

F

Frankfuchs

Audiophyte
Is 8 feet behind my couch too far behind my couch for my rear speakers on a 7.1 surround

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis