Hooking up a record player

C

chip47pdx

Audiophyte
Hi. I just recently purchased a Denon avr-1905 receiver. Everything works great with the exception of my record player not putting out any sound. There’s no phono jack that I can see. My record player is a kenwood KD-2070.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There are few Phono pre-amp suggestions in another recent post.
I've specifically suggested few art-pro boxes as inexpensive and flexible.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi. I just recently purchased a Denon avr-1905 receiver. Everything works great with the exception of my record player not putting out any sound. There’s no phono jack that I can see. My record player is a kenwood KD-2070.
They, along with most other AVR manufacturers, stopped including a phono preamp for several years and the ironic part- Denon makes some excellent cartridges.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They, along with most other AVR manufacturers, stopped including a phono preamp for several years and the ironic part- Denon makes some excellent cartridges.
Thought it just got phased out from lower end offerings with the rise of digital by several manufacturers, thot Denon just limited it to their higher end offerings, or did they totally eliminate it from the whole lineup for a while prior to say 2007 where my 3808 dates from?

ps The ART phono pre-amps are a good way to go (that BSA refers to)

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thankfully my 2011 HK 3490 did come with a pretty decent mm phono preamp.

highfigh

highfigh

Thought it just got phased out from lower end offerings with the rise of digital by several manufacturers, thot Denon just limited it to their higher end offerings, or did they totally eliminate it from the whole lineup for a while prior to say 2007 where my 3808 dates from?

ps The ART phono pre-amps are a good way to go (that BSA refers to)
Well, your 3808 has a phono input, so......

They had some models with a set of jacks labeled 'Phono', but I think they expected people to use a phono preamp because not many were actually using a turntable at the time and those who might need additional inputs couldn't use the Phono jacks because it's not easy to reverse the gain and RIAA equalization. I don't remember which models had a phono input, which didn't or which had it labeled as that, without a phono stage.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, your 3808 has a phono input, so......

They had some models with a set of jacks labeled 'Phono', but I think they expected people to use a phono preamp because not many were actually using a turntable at the time and those who might need additional inputs couldn't use the Phono jacks because it's not easy to reverse the gain and RIAA equalization. I don't remember which models had a phono input, which didn't or which had it labeled as that, without a phono stage.
Yes, my 3808 does have a phono input with an MM stage (altho I've not used it). I'd not heard of any avrs, let alone Denons, that had a phono input without a phono stage to go along with that, before this.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, my 3808 does have a phono input with an MM stage (altho I've not used it). I'd not heard of any avrs, let alone Denons, that had a phono input without a phono stage to go along with that, before this.
IIRC, the AVRs from the 2006/2007 model year had this- I can check this week, since one of my customers has one that's not being used.

C

chip47pdx

Audiophyte
There are few Phono pre-amp suggestions in another recent post.
I've specifically suggested few art-pro boxes as inexpensive and flexible.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm guessing I will have to purchase a pre-amp. The receiver was only $30 used and works grest!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis