D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Here is my idea for a two-way sub: A sealed enclosure with 2 low Fs 12"s or 15"s in a dual opposed alignment that take bass from low frequencies to maybe 50 or 60 Hz. Then a light 10" or 12" mounted in the front that takes over at that point up to 200 or 300 Hz. Such a subwoofer would be very efficient because the power would be divided between ranges where the drivers are most sensitive, instead of pushing power into a driver where there is diminishing returns. The mid-bass driver would probably need to be in an isolated compartment so it doesn't turn into a unintended passive radiator for the deep bass drivers. The 1812 kind of does this, but in a ridiculous way.
So when you coming out with this bad boy? I'm buying for sure!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
But then look what happened to us. Pidgeons and chickens, Danzilla. Pigeons and chickens.
:(
;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Never going to come out with this bad boy. Starting a speaker company is a great way to go broke.
Its a hobby business at best. Just have to charge more than our very good friend had been for his labors.

I'll hit you up, Shady, when I get it laid out. Its gonna be a beast of a device, though. You're gonna have to come to CA to test it! ;)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Another option for better speakers/bass for music is a 3-way with a nice woofer to that effect, if one is thinking dual systems, or even a convertible system without the need for multiple purpose subs. I had been experimenting lately using my Fusion-12 Tempests (albeit it a 2-way design) with lower crossover (60, instead of 80hz) because, that eminence Delta Pro 12" woofer is a mid bass beast. That displacement (I don't know why I stray from this notion) thing again. In this instance, the mid-bass capability of the larger woofer lets me focus the subs as fill for the lowest frequencies with music.

Second is, an older set of JBL 3-way with 12" woofers that reach down into the mid 30's. Really a noticeable difference in the 80hz and up range. The bass is very articulate and uncluttered (uncomplicated, at least), if that makes sense. Double bass struck, or with a bow is phenomenal. The "toom-toom" sound that goes right through you and makes you play well recorded bass loaded tracks repeatedly. Right now I have on Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio ( Most excellent jazz piano, double bass and drums from the "Three Blind Mice" label) marathon and it's eating me alive, and this with just acoustic bass! I can do this with the subs too, but it is just not necessary in this case.

I have a very capable pair of Dayton, Reference Series, hi-fi sealed, 12" subs, connected to a dsp amp. I can get some great musical bass from these. In their sealed configuration, they too reach to the mid 30's, even though frequencies down to 20hz can be felt. I think it is the lack of compromise with being able to disregard the lowest frequencies that help here. I also notice that the Reference drivers are a lower Q and lower xmax than the Ultimax. These particular subs have a higher frequency reach than what is typically used for HT types. By comparison, my Ultimax does not do the music as well. Not as noticeable unless I start using subs with bookshelf type speakers that are sub-reliant. The larger woofer speakers I own tend to mostly cover for the subs when needed.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Guys, at last! I've fixed my midbass issue!!! Got off work early today and decided to fiddle with sub placement. Currently, have the subs directly to my left and right of my listening position, just like @ryanosaur has his set up. What a difference in the quality of bass! Jazz/ classical sounds much better. Currently listening in EQ2 mode - 2 port closed. Bass is a little tighter with both ports sealed but not enough of a difference to really matter. So I guess the big problem was the sub placement in the room. Since the subs were in the corners, I'm guessing the room was probably boosting certain frequencies significantly and wiping out the midbass. Super glad I've finally got the problem fixed and feel like I got my money worth out of the subs. The gf is out of town for the week so I should be good for a little while. Hopefully, the subs can stay where they are but I have my doubts. Pray

PS: Need to get the cable to get my MacBook audio into the AVR and will take some measurements with REW one of these days.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
All praise to the Bass Gods, for they have smiled upon us all!!! And lo, the vibrations were felt, and low were they, and how! ;)

Dude, CB! I'm really glad to hear that. It's great news!!!
Now drop that into extended mode, and bump this! ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Guys, at last! I've fixed my midbass issue!!! Got off work early today and decided to fiddle with sub placement. Currently, have the subs directly to my left and right of my listening position, just like @ryanosaur has his set up. What a difference in the quality of bass! Jazz/ classical sounds much better. Currently listening in EQ2 mode - 2 port closed. Bass is a little tighter with both ports sealed but not enough of a difference to really matter. So I guess the big problem was the sub placement in the room. Since the subs were in the corners, I'm guessing the room was probably boosting certain frequencies significantly and wiping out the midbass. Super glad I've finally got the problem fixed and feel like I got my money worth out of the subs. The gf is out of town for the week so I should be good for a little while. Hopefully, the subs can stay where they are but I have my doubts. Pray

PS: Need to get the cable to get my MacBook audio into the AVR and will take some measurements with REW one of these days.
Maybe put some pretty doilies and a vase with fresh flowers on top of the subs to welcome her back?
Or if she has a hobby or something she does while watching TV, maybe you can set up a "support station" on top of one of the subs!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe put some pretty doilies and a vase with fresh flowers on top of the subs to welcome her back?
Or if she has a hobby or something she does while watching TV, maybe you can set up a "support station" on top of one of the subs!
Use her as a bass trap and ask her to stand in the corner.

Fresh flowers ... :rolleyes:

I worry about you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis