Pb2000 or 2x polk psw505

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Raised 1/2 story. correct. The ~75dB starting point for Audyssey is already hot for my little room and those subs. One is rated Bassaholic Extreme / 5000'3 room... I've got two in ~2000'3 room.
WhatWhat!!! :p
But upright bass in a jazz combo would vibrate me. Not blend. So I adjusted both gain and trim down, and can still vibrate the house when I trim up. Hell, sometime I don't even need that.
At the end, its all about balance, right? Getting seamless integration between all the speakers in the system? And as authentic of a real-life sound as the recording/production will allow. So a lot of the Hard Bop I like from the 60's say... Dexter Gordon, Joe Henderson, etc shouldn't vibrate me. Whereas newer recordings seems more likely to have a slightly heavier bass mix (not always, but can).

J

Jamesrxx951

Audioholic Intern
I purchased 2 Polk PSW 505 on Amazon last year and thought I would be happy with them. Nope, I just ordered 2 HSU's a few days ago because I am very disappointed in how they sound and the weird noises they make when pushed. I suppose they are not bad for $400 a pair on Amazon, but I wish I would have researched before I wasted the $400.00.

J

Jamesrxx951

Audioholic Intern
I received both of mine today also. I played some music with my Polk PSW 505 and then hooked up the HSU's. Messed with some tuning and it sounded pretty good. Then I did the accuEQ on my receiver. When it was testing the subs, I heard low frequency tones I never heard when it was testing the polks. Then I played more music including some bass heavy and bass bass guitar music. The lows never sounded so good. It is very accurate sounding. Some stuff felt like it was punching you in the chest it was so isolated and clean. No more low hz noises either. I could only imagine what some of the more expensive subs sounds like. I still have more tuning and playing with REW but it was worth the money.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I received both of mine today also. I played some music with my Polk PSW 505 and then hooked up the HSU's. Messed with some tuning and it sounded pretty good. Then I did the accuEQ on my receiver. When it was testing the subs, I heard low frequency tones I never heard when it was testing the polks. Then I played more music including some bass heavy and bass bass guitar music. The lows never sounded so good. It is very accurate sounding. Some stuff felt like it was punching you in the chest it was so isolated and clean. No more low hz noises either. I could only imagine what some of the more expensive subs sounds like. I still have more tuning and playing with REW but it was worth the money.
Congratulations!!! I remember those feelings of getting my first real sub. It’s nice huh? Just wait, there’s more.

J

Jamesrxx951

Audioholic Intern
Congratulations!!! I remember those feelings of getting my first real sub. It’s nice huh? Just wait, there’s more.
THANKS!!
I will say there seems to be a big difference in sound quality in car audio vs home. I have JL W7(I believe that is the correct one) with a JL 600watt amp and it sounds great but not nearly as accurate as these HSU's. The polks remind me more of my truck subs. If money I tight $400 is good for 2 of these polks but I can see where saving for better subs are worth it if one can. I will be repurposing the polks for my 1000sqft game/exercise room so it will work out.

I also found a weird issue with my theater room. I heard a weird noise from my walls. Basement theater. It was my hollow core door to my mechanical room. The door handle was rattling and the door was making a breathing like resonance. So I have to fix that.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Haha! Funny how new subs can showcase all the loose stuff in a room! Need some blue tacky stuff. Lol

Agreed. Car audio is a whole different thing. I have a life long friend who owns two car audio stores here(sells a lot of JL) and while it can be a lot of fun, I prefer my home rig to any trunk rattlers. Lol.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis