Why are most AVR's faceplates in the US all in black aluminum instead of gold or silver?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
This may have been discussed before but since I can't find a thread about it I thought I'd ask again.

It seems that the European/Asian markets have more of a choice in what finish the face plate comes in than we do here in the US. One of my favorite's was a Sony receiver/amp that I purchased in 1971 with the sides made of wood and a brushed silver fascia. Later on I had a Yamaha R-90 all in silver which I thought aesthetically looked really sharp.

Is this a matter of the cost/economics since black is cheaper to make than a gold or silver finish?

J

Jamesace1990

Audiophyte
I have no idea on your question sorry but it does bug me they have certain models for different countries. The US seems to have a lot more choice of models that the UK does. It was last week I was watching a review on 3 new models or Recievers all
In the same line up but the higher spec and most powerful model was US only. Why do they do this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
That's interesting. I wasn't aware that the more powerful amp/receivers were only available here in the US.

J

Jamesace1990

Audiophyte
Not in all case and im sure its the other way around sometimes but in my hunt for a decent but more budget receiver i definitely found it to be the case or at least the US gets them a lot sooner. It the same with tools i buy for work. I buy a-lot of Snap - On and Milwaukee tools. New models can take up to a year to be available in the UK. The price difference is also mad

It maybe the extra taxes or the exchange rate but the US seems far cheaper for audio gear and tV etc

It may just be me though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I don't like good at all on anything so an AVR I would probably puke so thankfully they don't have them in gold. I have seen HT processors in silver.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
The black has a warmer more musical sound!
Hello...is this thing on? That tanked.

Last edited:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Totally depends upon the market in a specific country, and what equipment to match within the system. Black is more common in North America but due to multiple countries in Europe, Asia, & Australia major brands like Yamaha offer either Black or Silver. Back in the 60's/70's most audio components were either silver or gold, but as the market expanded some brands introduced Black and it was a big success and other brands followed. I recall many, many years back @ a CES asking a Marantz product manager why they went to Black from their champagne Gold he said it was to meet NAB anti-glare standards... :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Total BS but very original response..

Just my $0.02... ;)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Well the reason black is more common is because most of the time that's all that is offered by Yamaha/Denon in my view. I'm just trying to find out whether this driven by the economics or marketing.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well the reason black is more common is because most of the time that's all that is offered by Yamaha/Denon in my view. I'm just trying to find out whether this driven by the economics or marketing.
Unless your significant other has a certain taste, they overwhelmingly prefer black as it disappears easier. Its offered based on preference which as MCode mentioned is different regionally. My first McIntosh and Dynaco units were silver. I have to say I do like pionner elites gloss finish. It's nice when the AVR and Display are aesthetically pleasing.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Unless your significant other has a certain taste, they overwhelmingly prefer black as it disappears easier. Its offered based on preference which as MCode mentioned is different regionally. My first McIntosh and Dynaco units were silver. I have to say I do like pionner elites gloss finish. It's nice when the AVR and Display are aesthetically pleasing.
Don't get me wrong I understand why black is preferred, WAF and all, I just want to know why I'm not given the option. I would be willing to pay for an upgraded finish, if it's a matter of cost.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Regarding Power, I would tend to think that the EU especially might have issues with higher energy consumption rates, considering as I understand, the D&M Eco Mode seems to have been inspired in some part by regulations over there. Dunno... Just speculating.
Though I agree with the color option: black disappears. Its why people complain about bright power lights, too. You can't forget they are there when you're flying through intergalactic space! *cue John Williams score.
;)

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I also prefer black is it blends in easier with everything else. Silver or gold screens look at me, IMO. I want my TV and furniture to be the focal point, not the electronics. Although nice looking gear does add to the decor.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Regarding Power, I would tend to think that the EU especially might have issues with higher energy consumption rates, considering as I understand, the D&M Eco Mode seems to have been inspired in some part by regulations over there. Dunno... Just speculating.
Though I agree with the color option: black disappears. Its why people complain about bright power lights, too. You can't forget they are there when you're flying through intergalactic space! *cue John Williams score.
;)
Regarding Europe, they are far more active to be GREEN... Over the last 20 years they pushed through many changes including:
  • Stand-by power consumption reductions, very apparent with econ-mode
  • Prohibiting use of lead in the solder, created the ROHs standards
  • Prohibiting the use of styrofoam carton inserts, as they take up too much space in scarce landfills and don't breakdown naturally

Just my $0.02.. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's just the US, at least for Yamaha. Just pull up Yamaha Europe's site for avrs and you'll see choices for titanium or black finishes, altho the pictures are all black when I just looked (look for the color option, it's there). I just looked at Denon UK's site and the picture is of a silver/titanium colored avr https://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/homecinema/avreceiver. While way back in the day I had a Marantz with the silver face plate (and the wood case option), I prefer black myself.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I think M Code has it correct. It's entirely marketing driven, not economics or engineering.

If a face plate is really made of aluminum, anodizing it black, silver, or rose color, all costs the same. Many less expensive receivers could easily have black plastic face plates. I've been told the three most expensive parts of amps or receivers are the power supply transformers, and the machined aluminum face plates and heat sinks. Maybe M Code can confirm that.

Different countries seem to have different finish preferences. In Japan, gold finishes always sell better than here in the US where everything must be black. I have an Audio Technica phono preamp that I got a number of years ago when it was still sold in the US. It's case is dull uncolored aluminum. AT no longer sells it here, but on Amazon I can find a Japanese import of what seems to be the identical product, except the aluminum case is anodized gold.

Mine looks like this
1550443101094.png

And the Japanese import looks like this
1550443161137.png

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Black matches better with most decor.

I have 2 Silver HTPC cases that look like big amps.

When I bought them ($500 for each case), I had a choice between black or silver. I thought silver would look more expensive or high-end than black.

But if I could do it over again, I would get the black cases because black matches better with most decor.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I think the black faceplate really took off in the 90s.Back in the 70s silver ruled and only a few manufactures (Marantz was one) offered Gold. Also the wood side panels disappeared by the later 80s. Hate to admit it but I was there.:)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Black matches better with most decor.

I have 2 Silver HTPC cases that look like big amps.

When I bought them ($500 for each case), I had a choice between black or silver. I thought silver would look more expensive or high-end than black.

But if I could do it over again, I would get the black cases because black matches better with most decor.

What are the other speakers? I know the Phil 3s. ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
In the theater room the black metal makes sense, but in the living room or other rooms it would be cool to see other colors. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis