Pb2000 or 2x polk psw505

V

vancobra

Audiophyte
Hi gene... What is your advice.. should I buy .. ONE SVS PB2000 OR TOW POLK PSW 505 THANKS....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
ET is right. No contest. SVS. (Or HSU or Rythmik or monolith etc).
Having direct experience with a 505 i will definitely recommend to spend the extra money. Good quality bass is an investment and while the 505 might even wow you for awhile, it won’t be long until you realize it’s just not that great.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
ET is right. No contest. SVS. (Or HSU or Rythmik or monolith etc).
Having direct experience with a 505 i will definitely recommend to spend the extra money. Good quality bass is an investment and while the 505 might even wow you for awhile, it won’t be long until you realize it’s just not that great.
And then, once you realize how amazing 1 great sub is, you can start saving for a second.
:) Subs don’t like to be lonely. :)
But seriously, depending on your room size and acoustics, it might very well be worth looking into over time!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
And then, once you realize how amazing 1 great sub is, you can start saving for a second.
:) Subs don’t like to be lonely. :)
But seriously, depending on your room size and acoustics, it might very well be worth looking into over time!
Huh, that’s what I should have said. Lol.
Agreed about room size etc. still, no matter the application, the 505 is just a gateway sub.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I learned from the best, buddy! ;)
I jokingly referred to the Polk subs as the Ford festivas of subs... in the thread that inspired Shady to start the subs-as-cars thread. ;)
Those pb2000s are more like a Honda Accord v6 or mid-level accura. Get them in piano black would be like getting the leather package! ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Too kind!
I always find it interesting when the car analogy comes up in relation to audio gear. I really believe it depends on how you see cars/audio gear. While I like your application of the v6 accord, someone else might see it so much differently. Me for example. I’m a muscle car kind of guy. My first car(still owned today) was a 1969 Chevy Camaro. So I might see a pb4000 as a new Zl-1 camaro, and a new Ultra as a z-r1 corvette. Someone else might see the same subs as a CTS-v etc. I’m a car guy, and usually avoid the analogy dialogue, but I always find them interesting.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It was kind of a shame that thread didn’t take... the idea was fun. I think he likened the pb 4000s to a Porsche. ;) I nominated my x-13s as Jaguar F-Type. :p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It was kind of a shame that thread didn’t take... the idea was fun. I think he likened the pb 4000s to a Porsche. ;) I nominated my x-13s as Jaguar F-Type. :p
Saw that. Both were appt.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Also consider the HSU VTF3, as it's a good one also. The SVS is extremely over engineered and bulletproof. You cannot over drive them
Really! So if I want to run it hot is the safest way to turn up the subwoofer or the subwoofer channel in the amp?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Really! So if I want to run it hot is the safest way to turn up the subwoofer or the subwoofer channel in the amp?
Find the balance that works for you in your room. I would maybe turn the sub gain up a bit, and adjust the avr trim a bit.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I use on the fly adjustment in the avr. I never touch the gain on the sub amps.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah this.
That way when you want to trim back down,(providing the AVR doesn’t revert after powering down) you have an exact spot to go back to. Nobody’s good enough to go back to exact with the knob on the sub... and redoing it with an spl meter is a pain. Comparatively...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
generally agree... just thinking if needed, he could boost that slightly and leave it, and then adjust his trim as needed in the avr.

If I remember correctly, @Old Onkyo , you have a PB2000 in a somewhat large room, right? Have you used your room correction at all to set distance and levels?

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
generally agree... just thinking if needed, he could boost that slightly and leave it, and then adjust his trim as needed in the avr.

If I remember correctly, @Old Onkyo , you have a PB2000 in a somewhat large room, right? Have you used your room correction at all to set distance and levels?
Pb 1000, I didn’t use room correction, Radio Shack SPL meter to adjust.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Pb 1000, I didn’t use room correction, Radio Shack SPL meter to adjust.
Thanks.
If you have room correction as an option, try it for purposes of setting level and distance. I turned Audyssey off after a while, but kept those settings. System sounds great: better than manual measurements alone... but everything else is dialed in manually, including adjustments to the sub gain and trim post audyssey. Now I only touch sub trim whaen I need it, but never the gain. Audyssey had my subs set pretty hot as its default... too hot for good musical intedgration which is my main thing.
Best way I can describe is that I have trim -5dB usually, and today I boosted it to +4dB for some instrumental Hop-Hop... Later, when I put on some Jazz or Rock or whatever, I'll turn it back to -5. And that's what EverettT ansd William are referring to up above, too. But once you get your gain dialed in, you should never touch it. ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks.
If you have room correction as an option, try it for purposes of setting level and distance. I turned Audyssey off after a while, but kept those settings. System sounds great: better than manual measurements alone... but everything else is dialed in manually, including adjustments to the sub gain and trim post audyssey. Now I only touch sub trim whaen I need it, but never the gain. Audyssey had my subs set pretty hot as its default... too hot for good musical intedgration which is my main thing.
Best way I can describe is that I have trim -5dB usually, and today I boosted it to +4dB for some instrumental Hop-Hop... Later, when I put on some Jazz or Rock or whatever, I'll turn it back to -5. And that's what EverettT ansd William are referring to up above, too. But once you get your gain dialed in, you should never touch it. ;)
That’s is interesting that Audyssey set yours hot. I’ve always seen people say Audyssey set them too light. I’ve always had mine set by audyssey too light also. Curious, where did audyssey set them? Can’t remember off hand, are you on concrete? Seems like I’m your pics it looks like a suspended/second floor.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Thanks.
My trim came out to -5, I don’t touch it for movies, for music I normally go -3, yesterday I played some rap and turned the trim to -12(I rarely listen to rap). The gain is set to 1 o’clock and I never move it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis