New Universal Player Advice!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, I'm sure it was. Seems a clever way to play stereo SACDs
from a player with no stereo analog outputs, which otherwise could only be played via HDMI, and only then if the users amplifier was one with HDMI inputs. Interestingly enough, my OPPO 205 permits either direct DSD conversation to analog or DSD to PCM conversion to analog output; but, 5.1 bass management via the OPPO requires PCM conversion to analog. In general listening I can not distinguish between a DSD direct conversion or DSD to PCM conversion; but, since I like the OPPO's comprehensive 5.1 bass management, I usually set the OPPO to PCM.
Well that's the fantastic 205, even my 105 has the options to convert to pcm or dsd direct/native. I also do not find dsd sounding better. I bought a lot of dsd files from hdtracks.com only because it seems to me those files have a higher rate of being derived from high quality recordings.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My x800 uses HDMI2.0 for DSD.

The rate displays on the x800 as “DSD Multi 2.8Mhz/1bit”.

On my Yamaha RX-A2060 receiver, audio signal input displays as sampling 176.4kHz and format as PCM.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
My x800 uses HDMI2.0 for DSD.

The rate displays on the x800 as “DSD Multi 2.8Mhz/1bit”.

On my Yamaha RX-A2060 receiver, audio signal input displays as sampling 176.4kHz and format as PCM.
Does that mean the Yamaha is converting DSD to PCM?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Does that mean the Yamaha is converting DSD to PCM?
Probably not, it could be that he had the X800 set to output PCM. According to the manuals, the RX-A2060's HDMI supports SACD/DSD format. (See Yamaha RX-A3060_RX-A2060 manual page 181.

So if snake wants, he should be able to set up the X800 to output DSD, that is, turn DSD Output Mode to "On".

X800 operating instructions Page 22:
1549917093518.png

Attachments

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Probably not, it could be that he had the X800 set to output PCM. According to the manuals, the RX-A2060's HDMI supports SACD/DSD format. (See Yamaha RX-A3060_RX-A2060 manual page 181.

So if snake wants, he should be able to set up the X800 to output DSD, that is, turn DSD Output Mode to "On".

X800 operating instructions Page 22:
View attachment 28191
Thanks!!!!

Ok I had DSD off before.

Now my Yamaha says sampling 2.8MHz and format DSD

Thanks again!!! :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My 3 SACDs are sounding great now. :)

Ordered a 4th one that is on the way.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
My 3 SACDs are sounding great now. :)

Ordered a 4th one that is on the way.
Do you have any quality new/used record stores near you? I went by one near me on Saturday and picked up five "Living Stereo" SACDs for $5 each in the used classical section.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Do you have any quality new/used record stores near you? I went by one near me on Saturday and picked up five "Living Stereo" SACDs for $5 each in the used classical section.
I know there are some in the Seattle area, I just need to check out which are good. I haven’t purchased CDs other than Amazon or Best Buy in many years. I have bought used DVD-Audio discs on Amazon before because many are out of print. :)

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I know there are some in the Seattle area, I just need to check out which are good. I haven’t purchased CDs other than Amazon or Best Buy in many years. I have bought used DVD-Audio discs on Amazon before because many are out of print. :)
Sweet! CDs (and SACDs) are going through what happened to vinyl several years ago and used (and some new!) prices are dirt cheap! I see a lot of new SACDs in online stores going for $20-30 (and more!). No thanks. I'll do some digging instead.

S

sterling shoote

All,
I've been collecting Living Stereo Classical Music SACDs at about $9.99 each from Amazon. These are hybrid SACDs with CD, stereo SACD, and 3 channel SACD layers. With my OPPO set for PCM permitting use of its bass management and my speakers set to small, the bass is directed to the .1 channel and sent to my sub. It sounds great with more breadth and depth than I get from the recordings played in stereo. At any rate, most of my discretionary income today is spent on multi-channel SACDs, since, for the most part, multi-channel SACDs sound awesome and they are easier for me to accomodate than multi-channel downloads.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
All,
I've been collecting Living Stereo Classical Music SACDs at about $9.99 each from Amazon. These are hybrid SACDs with CD, stereo SACD, and 3 channel SACD layers. With my OPPO set for PCM permitting use of its bass management and my speakers set to small, the bass is directed to the .1 channel and sent to my sub. It sounds great with more breadth and depth than I get from the recordings played in stereo. At any rate, most of my discretionary income today is spent on multi-channel SACDs, since, for the most part, multi-channel SACDs sound awesome and they are easier for me to accomodate than multi-channel downloads.
Do you still get 2.8? Or does it drop down to 176.4kHz?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
All,
I really like the Living Stereo series and think they did an excellent job, first with the actual recordings (many done on the late 50s and 60s) and the remastering for SACD. It is really cool that they recorded in three channels and must be fun to be able to take advantage of the original format! As it is for me in two channel, they sound excellent.

This is my haul from Saturday's excursion:
1549982346715.png

S

sterling shoote

Do you still get 2.8? Or does it drop down to 176.4kHz?
Well, I do not know. I have the OPPO set to convert DSD to PCM, which is required for OPPO bass management. Next time I play an SACD I will look at the display and see what's going on. Edit: I just stuck in a Living Stereo SACD and, looking at my monitor, it indicates Bit Rate: 2.8Mbps and Sampling Rate: 2.8 MHz

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I do not know. I have the OPPO set to convert DSD to PCM, which is required for OPPO bass management. Next time I play an SACD I will look at the display and see what's going on. Edit: I just stuck in a Living Stereo SACD and, looking at my monitor, it indicates Bit Rate: 2.8Mbps and Sampling Rate: 2.8 MHz
What other SACD titles do you recommend?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I have several of those "remastered" RCA Living Stereo multi-channel SACDs, I might be wrong here but I don't believe they are exactly remastered per se, but instead they used the original three channel masters that were done when they were originally recorded. RCA was forward thinking back then. A lot of these were recorded even before stereo records hit the market in '57. When stereo hit, they were down mixed into two channels because, at the time, that's all the current consumer playback technology had.

They still sound pretty durn nice though, particularly when you consider many were recorded over 60 years ago.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis