High Definition Audio and HDMI Cable Guidelines

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This is an old article that needed a refresh. For those wondering how much to budget on cables and what really matters, I put together this guide and supportive YouTube video to help you out.

As a rule of thumb, we recommend spending as little as you can to get the job done right, but no more than 5-7% of your total system cost into cables and interconnects, with the following priorities:
  • HDMI and Component Video Interconnects (Cat 1 or Cat 2 certified for HDMI, 75 ohm shielded coax for Component video).
  • Speaker Cables ( Low DC resistance and inductance, short runs when possible, 12 AWG or lower resistance).
  • Analog interconnects (75 ohm shielded coax or low capacitance, twisted pair for unbalanced, braided shielded XLR for balanced).
  • Digital Interconnects (75 ohm shielded coax preferred, or toslink for short runs).
  • Power Cords (match same gauge and shielding as OEM).
budget.jpg

Read: Cable Budget Guidelines

Last edited:
Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
This is an old article that needed a refresh. For those wondering how much to budget on cables and what really matters, I put together this guide and supportive YouTube video to help you out.

As a rule of thumb, we recommend spending as little as you can to get the job done right, but no more than 5-7% of your total system cost into cables and interconnects, with the following priorities:
  • HDMI and Component Video Interconnects (Cat 1 or Cat 2 certified for HDMI, 75 ohm shielded coax for Component video).
  • Speaker Cables ( Low DC resistance and inductance, short runs when possible, 12 AWG or lower resistance).
  • Analog interconnects (75 ohm shielded coax or low capacitance, twisted pair for unbalanced, braided shielded XLR for balanced).
  • Digital Interconnects (75 ohm shielded coax preferred, or toslink for short runs).
  • Power Cords (match same gauge and shielding as OEM).
View attachment 28047
Read: Cable Budget Guidelines
Yes, you read that correctly. :cool:

W

wcbrase

Audiophyte
I have consistently appreciated the sensible, money-saving, rational advice I've seen on this site. However, this ranks as the best and most valuable. The money being wasted on exotic cables of all types could really upgrade audiophiles' listening experience if it were re-allocated to better speakers, room acoustics treatments, and equalization for problems that cannot be solved by room treatments. All of these can actually be measured -- I know, what a concept! -- and speakers can also be evaluated using double-blind testing. By the way, you will NEVER, EVER see proponents or manufacturers or sellers of cables submit to double-blind testing. They all extol what sounds like science, but absolutely resist replicable, statistically robust, double-blind testing where the subjects have no inkling which product costs $500/meter and which one costs $3/meter. Your rational advice brings this topic down to earth where it belongs -- out of the realm of blind faith, subjectivity, and witchcraft in advertising and sales promotion rhetoric.

B

Busychild

Audiophyte
Hey everyone- I would like to just throw this out there. For many years I have worked in the aerospace industry. Particularly with nuclear powered submarines. You think NASA has technology? Pick a square foot on a 774 Virginia class submarine and there is more technology with in that square foot than all of the space program combined. Some of what I did involved the certification of material designated as SUBSAFE, Level 1, Scope of Certification and Nuclear Level III. If it is high grade copper used in wires? It comes from a mine in Arizona and the wire is more or less made (extruded- think “Cardas grade 1” or PCOCC) in New England. These companies that advertise that they have wires made from unobtabium that has been pickeled in unicorn piss before it is flame sprayed with 10% pixie dust and then cryogenically treated & air hardened in the corona of the sun- that’s some bullshit right there. I am going to talk real world example right now- you want a cable with a lot of technology that is manufactured with top grade material to aerospace tolerances? Go to eBay and search Zu Audio. Those mission cables- yeah that’s pretty dam close to what’s controlling nuclear reactors. Same with Beldon. Another example as far as power goes- Those guys out there in Paulsboro Washington at Shunyata. If there was some type of magic copper I would be the guy that would have read the spec and then reviewed the CMTR’s and all the OQE to certify it for use. Those super expensive connectors? I see amphenol, switchcraft and Neutrik all day long.

T

Tinear

Audiophyte
Just would like to address the actual speaker/amp speaker connection itself and not the wire. I've noticed a significant sound difference between banana, spade and raw wire speaker connections. As much as I like the convenience of the banana for ABing different speakers, upstream equipment, etc., I've grown to prefer spade even though it's a pain in the ass sometimes. When attached firmly (but not too firmly)I definitely hear a "speed" and "dynamic impact" difference favoring the "spade" no matter what wire I'm using.( I rarely use raw terminated cable as copper strands can inadvertently touch the opposite connector and your in real trouble.) I"m sure this is not new news but I do think it's part of the wiring "mystic" that might be mentioned.

Kev Greenhalgh

Kev Greenhalgh

Audiophyte
"Hey everyone- I would like to just throw this out there. For many years I have worked in the aerospace industry. Particularly with nuclear powered submarines. You think NASA has technology? Pick a square foot on a 774 Virginia class submarine"

Now that's something I'd love to see, a flying submarine. :rolleyes:

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Just would like to address the actual speaker/amp speaker connection itself and not the wire. I've noticed a significant sound difference between banana, spade and raw wire speaker connections. As much as I like the convenience of the banana for ABing different speakers, upstream equipment, etc., I've grown to prefer spade even though it's a pain in the ass sometimes. When attached firmly (but not too firmly)I definitely hear a "speed" and "dynamic impact" difference favoring the "spade" no matter what wire I'm using.( I rarely use raw terminated cable as copper strands can inadvertently touch the opposite connector and your in real trouble.) I"m sure this is not new news but I do think it's part of the wiring "mystic" that might be mentioned.
Not sure if serious?

F

Fist de Yuma

Audiophyte
I checked out the ZU Audio. They had a "sale" on speaker wires. Four 20' speaker wires for only 7000 dollars. Such a deal. Did you even bother to read the article?

Kev Greenhalgh

Kev Greenhalgh

Audiophyte
A "full of poop lying bastard said something" despite us not giving a fudge.

P

PBassTM

Audiophyte
Hey, folks. HDMI uncertainty, here.

Just bought a LG 4K BluRay Player, for a LG 4K TV. The specs on this player says I need a HDMI 2.0a cable.

Their customer service person suggested I should get an HDMI 2.0b cable.

Now I see HDMI 2.1 being mentioned, during my internet searches.

What is this all about?

For now, I just need 4 to 6 feet in length for this HDMI cable ( just enough length for the freedom of self ). Out of the 4K player, directly into the TV.

In the future, I'll get a HT gear and speakers.

So, who makes trusted, reliable and appropriate HDMI cables, that I need?

Not into these ridiculous and absurdly expensive boutique cables. Just trusted cables, for great picture and sound.

RCA analogue cables are so much easier.

P

PBassTM

Audiophyte
Well, as it turns out I also picked up a used standard bluray player, for cheap.

So, gonna' try one of the Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI, and one of the Blue Jean Cable BJC Series-FE Belden Bonded-Pair HDMI Cable.

These two seem like the best options in terms of legitimate quality certification build standards, and very reasonable prices.

Thank you for the forum.

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
I'm a little late in responding to the above post but here goes. Any cable labeled as "Premium High Speed HDMI" is a cable that has been tested and certified by an ATC (Authorized Testing Center) following a standardized testing and certification program designed by HDMI.org. The cables will come with a QR label for authenticity and are not specific to any particular cable mfr. Any cable can be submitted to an ATC for testing and certification. ATC certifcation is only good up to 25' and only for passive cables. Cable mfrs can and do make all kinds of claims, and charge accordingly for their cables, but you can't do any better than a Premium High Speed HDMI cable. There is no such thing as an "HDMI 2.0" cable. HDMI.org asked cable mfrs years ago to not label cable with the hardware specifcation because that was too confusing to the consumer, hence the terms High Speed and Premium High Speed cable descriptions came into use. The latest cable description will be Ultra High Speed HDMI which will be used to designate cables that have been tested and passed for the HDMI 2.1 hardware specifications, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that one. There are still lots of issues with cable length, reliability, etc. Bottom line, if your HDMI cable run is under 25' then a Premium High Speed HDMI cable is the best you can do. Anything over 25', and if you want to push 4k HDR reliably at lengths longer than 25', a hybrid fiber cable would be your best bet. However, no cable is guaranteed to work 100% of the time in all setups, so it's still a bit of trial and error. BTW, I've used the BJC cables referenced above and they work just fine.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Well, as it turns out I also picked up a used standard bluray player, for cheap.

So, gonna' try one of the Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI, and one of the Blue Jean Cable BJC Series-FE Belden Bonded-Pair HDMI Cable.

These two seem like the best options in terms of legitimate quality certification build standards, and very reasonable prices.

Thank you for the forum.
I'm sure it all worked out for you, but as mentioned above, there are a ton of options available to you.

Monoprice is a go-to for many, as is Blue-Jeans-Cable.

But, this would be my recommendation - ALWAYS:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13586

For short cables, under 6', they are priced right and they have over 200 reviews right now with a 5-star rating. The fact that they are so slim means less stress on the connectors at your TV and on the back of your devices. This matters more and more as devices start to weigh less and less and less.

I made the switch to slim cables a number of years ago and there is no doubt to the significant improvement in cable management that I've achieved over the years. I actually gave away about $200 in bulky HDMI cables when I moved over the the slim HDMI cables. I just couldn't justify using them anymore in my installations.

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
Using Premium High Speed HDMI cables, even for short runs is always the best way to go. No cable mfr can guarantee 100% that their cable will work for any given setup. However, using cables that have been tested and certified by an ATC (comes with the QR label) at least gives you the piece of mind that the cable itself has met all of the HDMI 2.0b hardware specifications tested by a standardized protocol as designed and implemented by HDMI.org. The slim factor for the above cables is nice but the slimness is achieved by using a thinner gauge copper wire which can really push the limits of data transmission due to the thickness of the copper wiring. Almost any well made High Speed HDMI cable will work at 6' but if issues arise over time, the logical thing to do would be to look at a Certified cable. There is no mention on the above cable as to how the HDMI 2.0 hardware specifications were validated. Anybody can put a passive cable in-between a pattern generator and "prove" that the specifications are being met without thoroughly testing the cable.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The ATC certification system has been mentioned a couple of times.
I also notice that DPL Labs seems to have a certification process.
Competing cert processes?
It seems like good insurance, but I wonder if it is like THX certification where it means something, but plenty of products are functionally equivalent without spending money on the certification.
Here is DPL's shtick:

Before seeing this thread, I ordered a couple of HDMI cables.
Is there anything here that makes it obvious these will be deficient in any way?
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ethibhd03ft/ethereal-install-bay-hdmi-18gbps-high-speed-w/ethernet-3ft/1.html
and:
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ethemphdme6cl/ethereal-em-hdmi-dpl-labs-certified-silver-plated-cable-4k-19ft-inwall-rated/1.html

this second one bothers me as there is no speed (18Gbps, etc) specified.

Fortunately, I only have $10 in them if I need to eat them!

Thanks for your help!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The ATC certification system has been mentioned a couple of times.
I also notice that DPL Labs seems to have a certification process.
Competing cert processes?
It seems like good insurance, but I wonder if it is like THX certification where it means something, but plenty of products are functionally equivalent without spending money on the certification.
Here is DPL's shtick:

Before seeing this thread, I ordered a couple of HDMI cables.
Is there anything here that makes it obvious these will be deficient in any way?
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ethibhd03ft/ethereal-install-bay-hdmi-18gbps-high-speed-w/ethernet-3ft/1.html
and:
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ethemphdme6cl/ethereal-em-hdmi-dpl-labs-certified-silver-plated-cable-4k-19ft-inwall-rated/1.html

this second one bothers me as there is no speed (18Gbps, etc) specified.

Fortunately, I only have $10 in them if I need to eat them!
There is nothin' about nothin' that really indicates how a specific cable will work in your specific setup beyond the reviews. I linked the Monoprice cables above because of their site specific reviews with so few failures. This is why I also buy from Amazon a lot. I've had great cables that have just worked year after year after year from both Amazon and Monoprice, but I'm not about to take a dump on anyone else who has a reasonably priced cable, rated to the 18Gb/s specification, and makes someone happy.

Everyone has these things made on some assembly line in China it seems so it's hard to know what you get, until you get it. At the end of the day, if they work, they aren't fidgety in your setup, and the price was right... then enjoy. If there aren't many reviews and you can do so, leave a review so other know.

Make sure to let others know if you are using UHD/HDR content or gaming at 60hz, etc. so that they know how hard you are pressing the quality of the cable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis