ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I menat that Yamaha using its own surround modes was free. I wish that Auro3d, Atmos, and DTX were separate components just like the old days of Fosgate. I also wish all the Dirac, Audyssey, YPAO, etc. were also available as a add-on component too.
Atmos and DTSX are not Yamaha’s own products.

As for Dirac, Audyssey, ARC, or any other room EQ, not everyone wants to use them.

I don’t want to use any of these room EQ even if they came with the AVP/AVR for FREE.

So why make people pay an extra $1K for some room EQ that they don't care about?

Room EQ should be a separate component for the people who actually want them and pay for them.
Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wish that Auro3d, Atmos, and DTX were separate components just like the old days of Fosgate. I also wish all the Dirac, Audyssey, YPAO, etc. were also available as a add-on component too.
I agree.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Glad I got a receiver that will let me use any upmixer I want. I could get the Auro3d one, but why? Nothing supports it. I too have heard great things, but my room is set up for Atmos. not even sure the layout would accommodate Auro3d.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I didn’t even know they have such a thing as a commercial Auro3D theater.

I thought Auro3D was only a home sound system, which is now basically extinct because I don’t notice any Auro3D Blu-Ray movies at Best Buy or Walmart to even buy.
The XD equipped cinema sound systems are actually Auro-3D even they might not refer to them as such, that's what they are. I believe Cinemark Cinemas on their XD screens are equipped with Auro-3D.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The XD equipped cinema sound systems are actually Auro-3D even they might not refer to them as such, that's what they are. I believe Cinemark Cinemas on their XD screens are equipped with Auro-3D.
Oh, okay, I didn't know XD is actually Auro3D. I wonder why they don't mention that.

What's the harm in saying, "XD Auro3D" ?

But anyway, my local Cinemark Tinseltown has XD screens. I definitely love the giant screen size. :D

But in terms of sound quality, the XD systems don't sound any better than any other good commercial sound systems, including all the ATMOS, SDDS, DTS, THX, etc. commercial systems I've seen, which translates to "they suck compared to my home theater system". :D

So if this is what you and others have been raving about - Auro3D/XD - then I'm not missing anything. :D

I wouldn't even pay $20 to upgrade to Auro3D if Yamaha offered a firmware update that could add Auro3D because I don't see any consumer contents. So what's the point. Seriously.

Now if I start to see blu-ray movies with Auro3D at Best Buy, Walmart, or Amazon, that's whole new story. I would want Yamaha to include Auro3D.

I think DTSX sucks right now in terms of contents, but at least they have blu-rays in DTSX, so I still get them.

Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Glad I got a receiver that will let me use any upmixer I want. I could get the Auro3d one, but why? Nothing supports it. I too have heard great things, but my room is set up for Atmos. not even sure the layout would accommodate Auro3d.
On the Auro3d site they show how to setup your speakers for Auro3d, and Atmos using the same speakers.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I did not know that either...that means I have heard Auro3d before then, as I watched Fast and the Furious 8 at a theater with XD (we paid extra for that movie in that specific room).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I did not know that either...that means I have heard Auro3d before then, as I watched Fast and the Furious 8 at a theater with XD (we paid extra for that movie in that specific room).
Did you hear a lot of overhead sound effects when you watched F&F8 with XD/Auro3D?

Did you notice anything different when you watched it? :D

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Did you hear a lot of overhead sound effects when you watched F&F8 with XD/Auro3D?

I cannot really remember as it has been so long. I would have to hear it in Atmos, and also Auro3d again. It is so hard to decide from one movie as some of the movies I have heard with Atmos have almost nothing on the Atmos channels (just like a lot of movies have almost nothing on the surrounds and others have a lot of activity). Currently I cannot even listen to my movies with any more than the front 3 channels, and they are currently in my Atmos/Auro3d positions. I hope to have at least my 3 front channels completed in the next few months. At that point I could listen to Atmos if I throw a small set of speaker up for surrounds until I get more speakers made. I really miss having a complete HT.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

The XD in my area doesn't use the Voice of God channel. According to Auro-3D, the VOG isn't really that important since it represents, according to them, only 10% of what humans would detect as sounds coming from above. However I think for a commercial cinema, they should go ahead and install it anyway. The XD theater in my area use surround heights on top left and right surrounds as the two layers of sound.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The XD in my area doesn't use the Voice of God channel. According to Auro-3D, the VOG isn't really that important since it represents, according to them, only 10% of what humans would detect as sounds coming from above.
I think If you are in a situation where there are a lot of planes, helicopters, raindrop on rooftops, thunder, bridges, tunnels, birds and other animals on tree branches, then it's going to be a lot more than 10%.

I think there is no need for Auro3D, Atmos, or DTSX if you are not going to hear anything overhead. Just use TrueHD/DD or DTS-HD/DTS.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
It looks like Monoprice has a new preamp coming out that does everything I need, and is built by ATI. I will have to see how others say it is when it comes out this fall, and then start saving if I am impressed by it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It looks like Monoprice has a new preamp coming out that does everything I need, and is built by ATI. I will have to see how others say it is when it comes out this fall, and then start saving if I am impressed by it.

The ATI ATP16 pre-pro (this and the Monoprice HTP-1 are based on the $10K DataSat LS10) should also be available later this year. I wonder what the price of the ATP-16 will be like. :D

Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
The ATI ATP16 pre-pro (this and the Monoprice HTP-1 are based on the $10K DataSat LS10) should also be available later this year. I wonder what the price will be like. :D
I heard $3999 for the HTP-1.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I am curious as to what the differences will be between the Monprice, and ATI units as I would think that will also affect the price.
If the Monoprice HTP-1 is $4K, I'm hoping the ATI ATP-16 is $5K MSRP, but you're probably right about the $6K+ MSRP. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis