The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was watching a few episodes of Generation Kill (HBO series) in DTS upmixed with NeuralX.

I heard a lot more overhead action (bullets zipping overhead among other sounds) than most DTSX movies.

I did watch a little more of Atomic Blonde yesterday in DTSX. Overall DTS sound is good. But I wouldn't say it compares to many good Atmos movies. I heard more overhead action watching Generation Kill using NeuralX than what I've seen of Atomic Blonde in DTSX.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Just got Halloween (2018) with DTS-X. Interested to see how they did with the mix. Will report back once I watch it.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I finally saw "Venom" and "The Predator" in Atmos.

I thought the Atmos sound effects were so-so for both movies, had some moments, but not anywhere near reference/demo quality. Nothing to brag about in terms of Atmos effects.

As for the movie plot/story, "Venom" wasn't as stupid as "The Predator", but there is a 99.99% chance I will never watch these 2 movies again. I think these 2 movies tried extremely hard to be funny. :D
Venom I thought was a good story. I will be rewatching it. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Last night I finished watching the finale of HBO's Generation Kill in DTS upmixed with NeuralX.

As I mentioned before, NeuralX does a pretty cool job of mixing the sound to the overhead speakers - helicopter, bullets, bombs.

But the final minutes of the series finale made me smile the most:

Johnny Cash's "The Man Comes Around" plays overhead from the four ceiling speakers as they showed footage of the war.

I thought NeuralX sounded much better and more active than DSU for this DTS BluRay, which confirms my belief that DSU is better for Dolby and NeuralX is better for DTS.

Who needs DTSX when we have NeuralX and DSU? :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watched Starship Troopers remastered in Atmos.

I believe it passes the Atmos test, especially when the war begins with the bugs.

The bass is strong. Plenty of overhead sound effects to accompany the action.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Watched Starship Troopers remastered in Atmos.

I believe it passes the Atmos test, especially when the war begins with the bugs.

The bass is strong. Plenty of overhead sound effects to accompany the action.
Loved that movie!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I still have not seen the entire blu-ray (only seen about 20 minutes) of Blade Runner 2049 in Atmos, but wow, the ceiling speakers are really active along with all the other speakers.

I can tell this is an Atmos Demo disc to show off your system. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
They are releasing a UHD of Cliffhanger in February. I’m hoping for the best because I really loved my VHS of Cliffhanger a lot. :)
This is out now as of Jan 15. Looking forward to Cliffhanger on UHD. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw "Bad Times at the El Royale" in Atmos.

I think "Bad Times at the El Royale" is reference Atmos demo material - very active overhead sound.

I also like story/movie - similar in style to Tarantino's Pulp Fiction.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
El Royale really surprised me.

First, the Atmos effects and picture quality are fantastic.

Then I really get my money’s worth with the cool and exciting plot.

Even my wife, who gets bored with most of Tarantino’s movies, loves El Royale.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Not a fan of Dakota Johnson, but the rest of the cast look fine. Sorry to disappoint (only watched this trailer) it is nowhere near the level of Tarantino in style or dialog. It is more reminiscent of Hateful 8 than Pulp Fiction and while Dusk till Dawn is set overnight in Titty Twister, that is Rodriguez rather than Tarantino (although he did write and star), is more a Grindhouse than a Film Noir.

There are any number of similar movies based in Motels and Hotels with a disparate bunch who have unsuspecting connections and this does not appear to tread any new territory. It may well sound fine, but I don't think it will be beating a hasty path into my collection anytime soon. Perhaps from the bargain bin or Netflix.:)

I have two basic types of movies. The first is the worthy's or epics, things like Tarantino, some Clint Eastwood, Chris Nolan, Orson Wells and a number of other. These are films I love, but I don't re-watch them often lest they lose their impact. Then there is the second group. Turn off the little grey cells and just enjoy it, like Star Wars, Underworld, Horror, Sci Fi, Action, Comedy, etc.. This is bulk of the collection and I watch these all the time and whenever it takes my fancy. End Times at the EL Royale does not rise to the first and does not look interesting enough to make the second. When you have to engage the brain and follow the plot twists, I tend to be a lot more critical of the end result. :(

Of late I am working my way through the entire Bond collection which have all been remastered. They look beautiful, sound is ok on the early ones, but it's just glorious hokum. It sexist, certainly not PC, even a bit questionable in places and some of the sets are a wobbly, but it is a lot of fun. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis