Uhhh broke my screen now need a tv. 900f vs Vizio p

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
Well tonight a charging block went flying and hit my 2014 e550i b2. Nicked the screen and now have lines all thru the screen. Just bought a Denon 4400 so this is a depressing blow as I really did like the tv. So went out tonight to look at TV's and curious on anyone's thoughts on the above 2 mentioned TV's. I was kinda leaning to the Vizio as I liked mine and saw great reviews on it but hen looked up comparisons and it seems all like the 900f better head to head. Anyone have a 900f and can lend any thoughts....def get it, it's awesome or go for the Vizio
From looking at the 900 at Best buy it did look good but obviously we know those settings aren't the ones I'll be using so it's not a true representation of what I'll see.

Any help is thanked

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Jeff, Sorry about the misfortune its happened to me one little knock to that LCD and its ruined.
Yeah settings in stores have brighter lights so the contrast most likely is set super-high to get the costumers eyes attention. See if these stores have demo room where the lights can be switched lower or off with some minutes checking with some content you brought alone to see if you like it or find something wrong about it before spending thousands.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My understanding is that the Sonys have a better processor and will also run about 10 degrees cooler than the vizio p series. The vizios have some minor advantages over the sony, here and there (lag time for gaming for example) it seemed, but not so much when I consider the temperature impact in my room. But that's just me.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I have a 900f and absolutely love it. Not sure what size screen you're looking at, so the Vizio may save you some $$, and the P series is a solid TV. At some level, these are as much subjective decisions as objective ones. Yes, the 900 is probably a 'better' tv, but is it better enough to overcome the cost difference? Hard for anyone but you to determine that.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I vote for the 900F. Sony to me makes the best overall TV's today. I like everything they make. I currently have a Z9D and if I didn't I would absolutely pick up a 900F. I'm actually looking to grab a A9F. Wish they would release a 77 inch model but the 65 will do nicely.

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
I'm looking at 65 on either of them. Lots 900f reviews I've read/ watch like the 900f over the the p. I have to assume it's picture will demolish my 4 yr old Vizio 1080p. The 900f is 1400 at Best buy

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
I have to assume it's picture will demolish my 4 yr old Vizio 1080p.
Either choice, this will be true. Both are really good looking TVs. My preference would be toward the 900F, but the Vizio's no slouch either. My brother has the Vizio P and it really does represent a great value. I'd have to give the Sony the nod in the end, though. Out of the box, I think the Sony has a bit better color and motion, and I vastly prefer the interface. I also believe it has better build quality if that matters to you. That said, with some color calibration and dinking around with the settings, you can get the Vizio within spitting distance of the Sony.

In the end, even with my bias toward Sony, you should be quite happy with either set. Just pull the trigger on either one and don't look back.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If the Sony’s are still on sale... considering they are classified a premium model, it’s a great opportunity. I scored the 49” model as soon as I saw the price drop week before thanksgiving. Was considering the Vizio p 55” at ~300 less before that Sony sale price hit. ;)

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
An update. Bought the x900f 65 inch and so far happy. Great pic minus some blooming but it's not bad. Anyone else have the Sony. I'm on a later firmware.. pkg6.5169.0146naa...
Any problems updating. I've updated stuff before and some were bad experiences. (updates brings new set of problems). Should I update?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
An update. Bought the x900f 65 inch and so far happy. Great pic minus some blooming but it's not bad. Anyone else have the Sony. I'm on a later firmware.. pkg6.5169.0146naa...
Any problems updating. I've updated stuff before and some were bad experiences. (updates brings new set of problems). Should I update?

How good are the blacks?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I vote for the 900F. Sony to me makes the best overall TV's today. I like everything they make. I currently have a Z9D and if I didn't I would absolutely pick up a 900F. I'm actually looking to grab a A9F. Wish they would release a 77 inch model but the 65 will do nicely.
A9F's are overpriced.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
According to the last shootout its worth it
First of all those folks are bias and paid to push OLED. They never talk about black crush, burn-in, aggressive ABL resulting in dim picture of OLED like the Sony A9F. They think everyone watches TV exclusively in a man cave. Anyway, I was looking at an A9F and a A8F and to my eyes, despite what are the results of this highly subjective shootout, those two display looked identical. There isn't a $1,500 dollar difference between the two TV's.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
First of all those folks are bias and paid to push OLED. They never talk about black crush, burn-in, aggressive ABL resulting in dim picture of OLED like the Sony A9F. They think everyone watches TV exclusively in a man cave. Anyway, I was looking at an A9F and a A8F and to my eyes, despite what are the results of this highly subjective shootout, those two display looked identical. There isn't a $1,500 dollar difference between the two TV's.
Robert is biased? I think not.

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
So far I like the 900. Like all TV's this has it's problems as well such as blooming. The good, picture looks great. My sources are DirecTV, Nvidia shield and Blu Ray. On DTv it depends on which program your watching. Football looks really good, some shows such as Gotham and shows that have a dark tone like the gifted and such seem to have what looks like a layer of dust. Kinda like when my contacts get dry and things aren't crystal clear. I think this "dusting" is honestly the way these tv shows are shot.
Nvidia shield again depends on content but all in all the pq is excellent. I don't use the tv apps so all viewing of Netflix, YouTube ect is from the shield and I can't complain.
I have movies, 4k demos, hdr demos, Dolby and dts demos on a 4tb Western digital run thru the shield. Hdr and true 4k looks....I have no words for how gorgeous it looks. The LG chess 4k hdr demo is nuts!!!
Blu Ray looks great. I've watched harry Potter, saving Private Ryan, top gun, behind enemy lines, ect and obviously each movie has it's grain or no grain but these look phenomenal. I question on going for a 4k br as the 1080 br looks beautiful.
My real quam I have is the blooming. Only spots I notice it glaringly is when there is text on a black scene such as when a TV show has the text saying "tv 14" and such. Rolling credits at the end of a movie I can't see blooming. Only other area is night football games when they show the flood lights. There is an ever so slight dusting surrounding the lighting. My old Vizio e series, a 2014, seemed to deal with blooming much better.
All in all colors are great, brightness is blinding and motion fantastic. The blooming ( which is minimal) I can live with because unless it's a dark show it's not there

Forgot add. On Netflix shows like planet Earth, Clarissa the teenage witch, travelers, blue planet, altered carbon, Hancock, the vallad of buster Scruggs...look stunning. The 4k and hdr ...wow
Also power rangers just on 1080p looks like I could walk into the movie it's crystal clear and sharp

Last edited:
Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
I don't see how it sets itself apart from AF8 picture quality wise and its cost $1500 more for a 65 inch set.
While one has the X1 Extreme chip the other has the X1 Ultimate, which could be where some of the difference lies. I'll also say that there may be more to the cost difference than simply image quality. In my experience, from Sony's lower end to mid tier to higher end, there can be a pretty big difference in BUILD quality. Their higher end TVs tend to have lots of beautiful brushed metal, heavier and built more like tanks, and lots of little details that won't come through in a review or just looking at them side by side. I've installed a lot of Sonys over the years, and every time I'd install something like a Z9D, I couldn't help but walk away really, really impressed by the "feel" of the TV. When you handle them like I have, getting intimately familiar with the backs and sides of them, that's when you can really appreciate some of those differences in construction. If I'm not mistaken, the A8F is kind of their "lower end" OLED while the A9F is out of their new "MASTER Series" televisions, ie higher end. Most likely the same exact physical screen, but I'm sure there's a difference in image processing and overall build.

Whether or not that cost difference is "worth it" is entirely up to you. There are ALWAYS the laws of diminishing returns at play for sure, but that's the way it's always been. Some people simply want the best. Even if it means paying a much larger margin for a much smaller gain. And they're ok with that. Some people demand the best performance:dollar ratio, in which case a 900F is a solid buy as that seems to hit the sweet spot before you start paying a lot more for marginal improvements.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis