Setting XTZ 12.17 with Klipsch RF7

S

sebastianvalmont

Audiophyte
Goodmorning everyone,
I just bought an XTZ 12.17 sub. The audio system consists of the klispch rf7 I series, klipsch rc64 II series, klipsch rb35.

Everything is in a living room of about 60sqm with a height of 4m. The listening area is 5m x 4.5m with a height of 4m.

My amplifier is an old marantz sr 7000 so without audissey etc.

At the moment I'm without sub and I set rf7 and rb35 on large and rc64 on small.

With the arrival of the sub, my idea would be to leave the rf7 and the rb35 on large, the rc64 on small and set the sub XTZ 12.17 in the following way:

Crossover: 120Hz
Phase: 0 °
Volume: starting with 6db , to be adjusted by ear
Low-pass: ON
Power: "AUTO"
Bass reflex tubes: left side open, closed right side
EQ: 2

What do you think?

I will use the subwoofer only for movies I will not use it to listen to music.

thanks a lot

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Assuming my conversion and math are correct that's a massive room. A single 12.17 is not going to be anywhere near sufficient. You're probably thinking "yea, but my viewing area is much smaller". Unfortunately that doesn't matter to a subwoofer as it will try and couple with the entire space. Unless you're sitting right on top of it don't expect too much from a single 12" sub. But to your questions...

With the speakers you have a crossover of 120Hz seems very high. I think you could easily get away with 80Hz. That will not only help the sub - by narrowing the range it has to play - but it would also likely improve the sound quality, especially when it comes to male voices. In addition, subwoofers tend to become localized once a crossover nears 100Hz, making it easy to tell where the bass is coming from. That's a bad thing though as you want the integration of speakers/subwoofer to be smooth and not identifiable.

If you plug one of the ports you're configuring it for deep bass, but given the size of your room you aren't going to get much deep bass from such a small subwoofer so you should reconfigure it for output instead (both ports open). It will need all the help it can get. Configuring the fronts as large is probably wise as that will alleviate some of the strain on the XTZ as well.

S

sebastianvalmont

Audiophyte
Ok. Then summing up I will set the crossover of the subwoofer at 80hz with both ports open and set all the speakers (except the central speaker) on large.
Eq 2 or Eq ref?

In any case, with the above setting I will not have less bass than now or some deterioration of the right audio?

Then as soon as I can, I will buy a second XTZ 12.17 subwoofer. Two XTZ 12.17 do you think are adequate to my listening environment? Consider that I listen to medium-low volumes.

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Ok. Then summing up I will set the crossover of the subwoofer at 80hz with both ports open and set all the speakers (except the central speaker) on large.
Probably best to just set the RF7 for large and leave the rest on small.

Eq 2 or Eq ref?
I would start on EQ2 and see how that sounds. Ref is the deepest setting and will cause the subwoofer to expend a lot of energy trying to reproduce frequencies that the room will nullify.

Then as soon as I can, I will buy a second XTZ 12.17 subwoofer. Two XTZ 12.17 do you think are adequate to my listening environment? Consider that I listen to medium-low volumes.
For me it wouldn't be enough for a space that large, but I don't know what your preferences are. I would suggest you place the subwoofers as close to the listeners as possible. That will help overcome the amount of space you have.

S

sebastianvalmont

Audiophyte
Hi, i do some test and I need a second subwoofer . I write to XTZ and 12.17 is out of stock.

There is only 12.17 Edge . Could I buy this one as a second subwoofer ?

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I think the only difference the Edge has is the PEQ so they should integrate fine.

S

sebastianvalmont

Audiophyte
I bought an XTZ 12.17 EDGE as a second subwoofer and changed the amp with a fantastic Marantz SR 9300.

Two questions:

1 I will have to redo the tests for the levels with the sound level meter. Do you advise me to test each sub individually that is at 75db (same level as the other speakers)? I ask because the two subs are not exactly identical (one XTZ 12.17 standard and one XTZ 12.17 EDGE)

2 The marantz sr 9300 in the setting asks me to enter a Bass peak level limit. According to the manual I should raise it until the sub and the other large speakers do not distort. It seems to me a little useless but I can not disable it. Do you advise me to put it at 0 db?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis