4 uls-15 mk2’s vs 4 pb-2000’s

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Another thing, running ypao it obviously picks up the rear sub first so it set the distance to 6.8ft but hsu said to set the distance to my front sub. I changed that to 12.6ft
That’s why you would flip the phase on the rear one. That will add cycles and they should both fire together improving impulse response. I would not gain match them unless they were both up front where they were. Definitely level match them.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
That’s why you would flip the phase on the rear one. That will add cycles and they should both fire together improving impulse response. I would not gain match them unless they were both up front where they were. Definitely level match them.
Think I should just leave them or try up front again n slide my couches back some

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
What do you think man?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
What’s funny too is when I had my pl200s hooked up I actually switched the phase on each of the rear ones and it did sound better. Idk why I wasn’t thinking that with these new ones. There’s still no comparison, the vtf3s are scary

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Think I should just leave them or try up front again n slide my couches back some
for me, it depends on where that puts you in relation to the surrounds. For some reason I think they might be wall mounted? Where are the couches now compared to where you started?
As much is like the look of them both up front, I believe in results, so I’d be inclined to keep them where they are.

What do you think man?
Can’t remember the quote...lol

What’s funny too is when I had my pl200s hooked up I actually switched the phase on each of the rear ones and it did sound better. Idk why I wasn’t thinking that with these new ones. There’s still no comparison, the vtf3s are scary
I’ve always had to adjust the phase on at least one of my subs.One easy way is while in the LP, play the test tone in the avr, and have a lovely assistant adjust the phase on the rear one to whichever setting gives the most output on the spl meter.
One nice thing about the REW/minidsp(sick of hearing about that yet?lol) is you can adjust phase and gain right in the software. This makes it easier to make adjustments and measurements more quickly, and you can stay in your seat. There’s also a remote now which I believe let’s you switch through profiles in the minidsp so you don’t have to hook it up to the laptop every time you want to do something with it.
Edit: oh yeah, with those scary HSU’s it’s good to see you taking the effort to get it right. I think your getting pretty close to where you wanna be. Maybe not so much in looks, since the visual aspect isn’t probably what you wanted but even in a great looking room like that, I’d be more concerned with performance.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
for me, it depends on where that puts you in relation to the surrounds. For some reason I think they might be wall mounted? Where are the couches now compared to where you started?
As much is like the look of them both up front, I believe in results, so I’d be inclined to keep them where they are.

I’ve always had to adjust the phase on at least one of my subs.One easy way is while in the LP, play the test tone in the avr, and have a lovely assistant adjust the phase on the rear one to whichever setting gives the most output on the spl meter.
One nice thing about the REW/minidsp(sick of hearing about that yet?lol) is you can adjust phase and gain right in the software. This makes it easier to make adjustments and measurements more quickly, and you can stay in your seat. There’s also a remote now which I believe let’s you switch through profiles in the minidsp so you don’t have to hook it up to the laptop every time you want to do something with it.
Edit: oh yeah, with those scary HSU’s it’s good to see you taking the effort to get it right. I think your getting pretty close to where you wanna be. Maybe not so much in looks, since the visual aspect isn’t probably what you wanted but even in a great looking room like that, I’d be more concerned with performance.
Thx man I appreciate it. I’m just trying to learn from you and everyone that’s given advice, I sure as hell don’t know everything. I never moved my first row seats but my second row is back to where I had it originally. And yes I’d prefer them up front but that’s just something I’ll have to deal with

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief

Yes the side ones are wall mounted and the rear surrounds are on brackets

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Maybe you guys can correct me if I’m an idiot or not understanding something here. Ok, the bass sounds great how the subs are placed now with 4 outta my 5 seats having strong impactful bass and the front left seat one lacks some.

Now to me when the subs were up front, the bass seemed like is was more all around the room. It seemed like I had two subs behind me even though I do not. With where they are at now it seems like I hear the bass from the right side of room now. I know I’m looking for a smooth response in all seats and in room but shouldn’t it seem like the bass is distributed throughout the room rather just hearing it come from one side?

I know when they were up front I was complaining about the bass in music but I never heard one distinct area where the bass was coming from, especially with movies. Like I said, someone plz correct me here if I’m not getting something

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe you guys can correct me if I’m an idiot or not understanding something here. Ok, the bass sounds great how the subs are placed now with 4 outta my 5 seats having strong impactful bass and the front left seat one lacks some.

Now to me when the subs were up front, the bass seemed like is was more all around the room. It seemed like I had two subs behind me even though I do not. With where they are at now it seems like I hear the bass from the right side of room now. I know I’m looking for a smooth response in all seats and in room but shouldn’t it seem like the bass is distributed throughout the room rather just hearing it come from one side?

I know when they were up front I was complaining about the bass in music but I never heard one distinct area where the bass was coming from, especially with movies. Like I said, someone plz correct me here if I’m not getting something
Generally you don't want to be able to locate your subs. Then again non-localizable but lacking something else isn't a goal either. Sometimes it's just about compromises, too....

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Generally you don't want to be able to locate your subs. Then again non-localizable but lacking something else isn't a goal either. Sometimes it's just about compromises, too....
So if they were up front and lacking something with music, is that because of where my seats are then?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So if they were up front and lacking something with music, is that because of where my seats are then?
Yes you are right you don't want the bass to be localized you want it as you said spread throughout the room. Like its coming from everywhere or nowhere all at the same time

It sounds like going up front gave you literally 90% of what you wanted with maybe 10% being off in music let's say

Like lovinthehd said you want 100% of everything but almost everyone's room seems like you have to compromise somewhat on this goal. Seems like your close in some ways up front and closer in some ways off to the side.

To me it seems like you have 2 options.
Option 1. Place subs up front for now when you get your other 2 set them up on the opposite side the same way you had HSU show you how to set them up on the other side. I bet you get the same superior performance without the localization

Option 2 set them up front set the new 2 up back I bet those beasts will make a huge difference. See how it sounds tweak moving your seats back and forth a bit. See if that helps out the issue. That's how I see it anyway.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Yes you are right you don't want the bass to be localized you want it as you said spread throughout the room. Like its coming from everywhere or nowhere all at the same time

It sounds like going up front gave you literally 90% of what you wanted with maybe 10% being off in music let's say

Like lovinthehd said you want 100% of everything but almost everyone's room seems like you have to compromise somewhat on this goal. Seems like your close in some ways up front and closer in some ways off to the side.

To me it seems like you have 2 options.
Option 1. Place subs up front for now when you get your other 2 set them up on the opposite side the same way you had HSU show you how to set them up on the other side. I bet you get the same superior performance without the localization

Option 2 set them up front set the new 2 up back I bet those beasts will make a huge difference. See how it sounds tweak moving your seats back and forth a bit. See if that helps out the issue. That's how I see it anyway.
I agree. I honestly don’t like hearing it coming from the one side, yes the bass is strong n sounds great but immediately I hear where it’s coming from. Like I said, when they were up front, the bass was spread out throughout the room and I couldn’t tell exactly where it was coming from. Also it sounded like I had two more behind me but obviously I don’t.

I’m gonna put them back up front and move my seats some. Don’t really have any other options. I’ll just have to deal with the music part if I can’t figure something out when they’re up front. Now idk if I should spread them out up front or keep them close to the stand.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What is the crossover setting at?
That is a good point. Upper bass frequencies are what causes subwoofer localization. Maybe try lowering the crossover on the sub that is causing the bass to shift to one side of the room? On that particular sub, turn the 'crossover' switch to in and then lower the crossover frequency to various points to see how it sounds. That might do the trick.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I have it set to 80 but I moved them back up front already this morning

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I have it set to 80 but I moved them back up front already this morning

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I realize the room has a ton to do with bass but maybe this is partially my with the music, idk. I built my riser as a bass trap, it’s insulated and I cut holes in the front in between every other joist

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It could also partially be your preferences in play. Measurements would help. As mentioned, there always are some compromises...

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
It could also partially be your preferences in play. Measurements would help. As mentioned, there always are some compromises...
By no means does music sound bad, just lacks some compared to leaning forward some. Movies sound awesome still, with bass spread throughout the room

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis