The Hegel soundengine explained

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
@haraldo,

C'mon! I called nobody with ugly names. If you thought I was calling you an idiot, I apologize and didn't mean it.

We agree to the fact that electronics are different than speakers. IMO, diminishing returns come fast with electronics but it's a different matter with speakers.

Loudspeakers usually are the weakest link in an audio chain. I agree with you that a lot of expensive speakers sound better than cheaper ones, but some really don't. Price does not always equal performance and I know from experience.

You know as well as me that a lot of people are gullible and believe all the bullshit which is published by some manufacturers and sales people. I know some people who do and I'm sure you know some too.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Do you really believe people like to throw money out the window?
I have a friend who spent $10k+ on a pickup alone, and he is one of the more clever people I know, I never listened to his rig yet, but will ....

I spent a significant amount of money on amplifier and also on power filter, both of these make some significant audible difference in my home.

According to your thinking then I am an absolute idiot.

On expensive equipment, how can you for instance possibly imply that anyone spending $100k on speakers are idiots?

Did you ever audition $350k speakers?
The KEF Muon shocked me to the core of my soul, nothing is even on the same planet .... it is 5 times better than any regular speaker.

I will never be able to afford them, but I dont call people buying these things with ugly names.

Is for instance a KEF Muon worth that insane amount of money, probably yes.... thing is, there is no point of diminishing returns here. (It’s actually being written that Kef is losing money by an artificially low retail price on Kef Muon)

Can be same with electronics
I would answer "No" to all your questions and I hope no one call anyone buying those things with ugly names either. Those are all beautiful things to me, though I know the original Blades pair with 2X 1kWMc and any good preamp will take me well beyond the point of diminishing return. By the way, thanks for that video link, I enjoyed watching it, twice actually..

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Hmm, I talked to this guy the other day.... he has power cables for his streamer that is listed at 10 times the price of the streamer.....

I don't laugh at him because he consistently provide the best demos I ever experienced, every demo is like a life changing experience, a guy in another leauge when it comes to making sensational demos, one of the smartest guys I know. My experience is that he only puts in something that improve the music expression of the system.

Load your guns guys ....

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Wow, an amazing story, thank you.

A man and his streamer.

I wonder what those demos would sound like without the expensive power cables.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, an amazing story, thank you.

A man and his streamer.

I wonder what those demos would sound like without the expensive power cables.
Its not the point ... the point is that some guys consistently make demos that turn into life altering happenings .... this is one of these guys..... when I go there I am just told to listen to smething nice, not being told what is there and behind the scenes, just incredible music, every single time.....

Well, that streamer sits in a system with Kef Muon speakers, never heard anything like this, ever .....

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
@haraldo,

C'mon! I called nobody with ugly names. If you thought I was calling you an idiot, I apologize and didn't mean it.

We agree to the fact that electronics are different than speakers. IMO, diminishing returns come fast with electronics but it's a different matter with speakers.

Loudspeakers usually are the weakest link in an audio chain. I agree with you that a lot of expensive speakers sound better than cheaper ones, but some really don't. Price does not always equal performance and I know from experience.

You know as well as me that a lot of people are gullible and believe all the bullshit which is published by some manufacturers and sales people. I know some people who do and I'm sure you know some too.
What I learned to know is that I don’t know anything anymore and everything can make a difference, like a supertweeter can improve the bass.... I have no idea what is going on ....

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Its not the point ... the point is that some guys consistently make demos that turn into life altering happenings .... this is one of these guys..... when I go there I am just told to listen to smething nice, not being told what is there and behind the scenes, just incredible music, every single time.....

Well, that streamer sits in a system with Kef Muon speakers, never heard anything like this, ever .....
That's nice haroldo, I'm glad you like the music. :)

Enjoy.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, that guy also had equipped his speaker cables with those audiophool elevators. ....
How high must it be off the floor?
I wonder if the sheetrock in the ceiling is high enough or does it have to be air under it without the rock.;):D
I also wonder if those guys also use elevators in walls and ceilings or just what is visible in a room?:eek:
Or, perhaps, the amp is near the speakers.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Did you ever audition $350k speakers?
The KEF Muon shocked me to the core of my soul, nothing is even on the same planet .... it is 5 times better than any regular speaker....
I'd like to see the measurements on it the Toole way and Harmon's speaker that is almost ruler flat and it costs way less.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Salk and Philharmonitors are also practically ruler flat and cost way less!

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I'd like to see the measurements on it the Toole way and Harmon's speaker that is almost ruler flat and it costs way less.
Me too... but I think you know my view, measurements can’t prove that a speaker is good.... measurements can prove that a speaker is bad :eek:

My impression is that a speaker like Piega Master 1 is 95% at 1/8 the pricetag; the last 5% is incredibly expensive

Hmmm, sounds like I officially disagree with myself, Muon is not worth the price tag!

Seems like I start discussion with myself now....

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I also believe that some second hand Dunlavy SC-V or SC-VI will blow you away, if you can fit them ...... those speakers supposedly have bass to die for

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
@haraldo,

No offense taken :)

Very interesting that we are guys with different opinions, let’s cherish the difference of opinions .... makes life interesting :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Me too... but I think you know my view, measurements can’t prove that a speaker is good.... measurements can prove that a speaker is bad :eek:

My impression is that a speaker like Piega Master 1 is 95% at 1/8 the pricetag; the last 5% is incredibly expensive

Hmmm, sounds like I officially disagree with myself, Muon is not worth the price tag!

Seems like I start discussion with myself now....
You are not alone. Not a sign if senility. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I also believe that some second hand Dunlavy SC-V or SC-VI will blow you away, if you can fit them ...... those speakers supposedly have bass to die for
Talking about Dunlavy speakers, a friend of mine, golden ear, has or had some tall Dunlavy speakers set up by a pro or the company, a while back. So far apart, that it was ridiculous and I am sure that is why it had terrible soundstage.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Hegel headquarter is "just around the corner" from where I work these days, would be interesting to see of it is possible to visit those guys and get some more information straight from the source :)

Talking about Dunlavy speakers, a friend of mine, golden ear, has or had some tall Dunlavy speakers set up by a pro or the company, a while back. So far apart, that it was ridiculous and I am sure that is why it had terrible soundstage.
I auditioned quote many of the speakers in the Duntech range, which is what John Dunlavy did before he went back to US to make his Dunlavy range. I liked all of them and found they had no signature, just very transparent and good speakers. Although, they are bears to place in the room and a sweet spot that is 10 cm wide. Only one person at a time can be in the sweet spot....

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Hegel headquarter is "just around the corner" from where I work these days, would be interesting to see of it is possible to visit those guys and get some more information straight from the source :)

I auditioned quote many of the speakers in the Duntech range, which is what John Dunlavy did before he went back to US to make his Dunlavy range. I liked all of them and found they had no signature, just very transparent and good speakers. Although, they are bears to place in the room and a sweet spot that is 10 cm wide. Only one person at a time can be in the sweet spot....
A tour of their facility would be nice. But remember their information to you will be biased. I see their products in many audiophile discussions in various forums and I really don’t know what all the fuss is about. At the end of the day it’s still just electrons.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis