D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Im not somewhere I can watch a 30 min video right now, but I do have a lot of respect for Ethan and try to follow his advice whenever possible.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I much prefer a "total system approach" where you use one channel, measure the room and loudspeaker with a calibrated microphone (both in fixed position), and do the null test via software (Audio Diffmaker, WindowsOS). In that way you can test for interaction as well as the parameters that Winer tests for, and can test any component, not just cable.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I agree about the 30 minute video. I wish Ethan Winer got to his point quicker.

Even though it may be old hat here at Audioholics, it never hurts to repeat this for new readers. There is no difference in sound qualities due to different materials in:
  • Speaker wires (including conducting and insulating materials)
  • Interconnects
  • Solder
  • Fuses
  • Audio crossover parts (resistors, capacitors or inductors)
  • Speaker binding posts
Many people will swear they do hear differences, but they never offer any convincing evidence to support this. Whenever people make a determined effort, using scientifically valid test methods, the answer is always the same – no one can reliably hear any differences.

Speakers are altogether another matter!

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
You'd be surprised after all these years how many people still believe in audiophile interconnects, speaker cables and even better sounding fuses.

Sad.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You'd be surprised after all these years how many people still believe in audiophile interconnects, speaker cables and even better sounding fuses.

Sad.
I'm reminded about that every day when I go to the office, because across from my exit ramp from I-405N is the Audioquest building.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm reminded about that every day when I go to the office, because across from my exit ramp from I-405N is the Audioquest building.
Audioquest has its headquarters in Irvine, CA?

In contrast, Jim Salk has his headquarters (really a shop) in Pontiac, Michigan.

I'll give you 3 guesses as to which company has a greater profit margin – but the first 2 don't count.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Audioquest has its headquarters in Silicon Valley?

In contrast, Jim Salk has his headquarters (really a shop) in Pontiac, Michigan.

I'll give you 3 guesses as to which company has a greater profit margin – but the first two don't count.
As a big city california boy that ended up in a small town I can tell you one thing is for certain... while theyre are positives and negatives to small town life, financial gain is a huge plus in a small town. My mortgage would be 5 or 6 times for the same size house in silicone valley. Alot of extra money for electronic toys!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
As a big city california boy that ended up in a small town I can tell you one thing is for certain... while theyre are positives and negatives to small town life, financial gain is a huge plus in a small town. My mortgage would be 5 or 6 times for the same size house in silicone valley. Alot of extra money for electronic toys!
Alert readers will note that I edited my post, changing Silicon Valley to Irvine, CA, just after Drunkpenguin replied to it. I should have looked up where I-405 was before posting :oops:.

OK, Irvine probably doesn't have the real estate value of Silicon Valley. But I'd expect an audio cable company to operate out of someone's basement.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nah, Orange County real estate may not be quite in SF Bay Area league, but it's gone way up. Places like Newport Beach are pretty pricey, tho :)

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I watched the video all way though and at least three times I find it interesting and amusing at the end that grands worth of audio cables is "pure bull$h!t" that made me laugh.:D
I use ebay grade cables for my home cinema 100 meters for reasonably sane price not those Vampwires that suck on us.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis