As of today, Cannabis is legal in Canada

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Jeff Sessions was my thought!
Jeff Sessions? :mad: Man that dude is sooo behind the times!! We have drug cartels hiding behind “front” legitimate businesses right here in the good ole USA! and he’s hell bent on legal weed? You guys need to watch that move with, Tom Cruise “American Made” yeah it’s just a movie but it’s based on a true story and pretty accurate on how sneaky and sorry a$$ our so called “law makers really are.

Mike

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Not that strange. Aside from people that didn't legitimately need a prescription, the new legalization/availability would in effect mean you could buy it OTC like acetaminophen or ibuprofen, so there's less reason to bother with the hassle of getting a medical prescription.
I hadn't considered medical cannabis from the OTC aspect. I guess that will mask a large number of the fakers who were purchasing through a doctor's prescription - unlike alcohol prescriptions during prohibition, for which (as far as I know) there is no known medical benefit. I know a couple of guys who faked their conditions well enough to obtain prescriptions for medical cannabis - they were pretty up front about it. So, I suppose it left me regarding it with some scepticism.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I hadn't considered medical cannabis from the OTC aspect. I guess that will mask a large number of the fakers who were purchasing through a doctor's prescription - unlike alcohol prescriptions during prohibition, for which (as far as I know) there is no known medical benefit. I know a couple of guys who faked their conditions well enough to obtain prescriptions for medical cannabis - they were pretty up front about it. So, I suppose it left me regarding it with some scepticism.
I understand and appreciate your skepticism. Unfortunately, it's like anything else. There are people who take advantage and bend the rules to suit themselves. It gives others who follow the rules a bad name.

I know it may not change your mind, and the videos below are tough to watch, but there are some valid medical uses for cannabis and cannabis derivatives. It's not all about getting 'high'.

Consider Charollete Figi; https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-cannabis-treat-epileptic-seizures/

If you mentioned it already I may have missed it, but what do you think about your country legalizing cannabis? I would like to hear from some other Canadians as well. @3db, you still around?

I'm not going to lie; this video made me cry. Okay, I sobbed like a fool. It's very hard to watch. But, it also makes me happy these kids no longer have to suffer.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I understand and appreciate your skepticism. Unfortunately, it's like anything else. There are people who take advantage and bend the rules to suit themselves. It gives others who follow the rules a bad name.
I know it may not change your mind, and the videos below are tough to watch, but there are some valid medical uses for cannabis and cannabis derivatives. It's not all about getting 'high'.
Consider Charollete Figi; https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-cannabis-treat-epileptic-seizures/
If you mentioned it already I may have missed it, but what do you think about your country legalizing cannabis? I would like to hear from some other Canadians as well. @3db, you still around?
I'm not going to lie; this video made me cry. Okay, I sobbed like a fool. It's very hard to watch. But, it also makes me happy these kids no longer have to suffer.
To clarify, my scepticism is directed at many of the users smoking up for "medical conditions". Now that it's legal, I suppose that scepticism is rendered moot. I most certainly appreciate that there are medical benefits derived from cannabis - I don't have any issue with it. But, back when recreational use was prohibited, people faking conditions in order to get legal access to cannabis cast suspicion on all users of medically prescribed cannabis.

I'm in agreement with legalization. There are far more serious issues to deal with from a law enforcement/public interest standpoint. I'm just concerned that young people will equate "legal" with "harmless". And, I know I sound like an old fogey, but I just can't get the stereotype of the feckless pothead out of my mind. I know that isn't fair, but the thing is, you don't see responsible consumers out in general public - it's the doofus driving down the highway in a cloud of pot smoke or the hoodee-clad teen at the bus stop, annoying seniors.
I don't really have any experience with cannabis - the last time I tried it was when I was 15, due to peer pressure more than anything else. I couldn't inhale it, because I just erupted in a coughing fit. I decided then and there, that I simply have no use for the stuff. So, I do not have any personal knowledge of what the appeal is.
I enjoy whisky, wine and beer for their flavour profiles, but not for their intoxicating effects. One or two drinks at a time is sufficient for me. Since I have no interest in having my "mind altered", I see no reason to try cannabis now.
Bottom line: I make no judgement of cannabis users, as long as they do so responsibly - same as with drinkers.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To clarify, my scepticism is directed at many of the users smoking up for "medical conditions". Now that it's legal, I suppose that scepticism is rendered moot.

I'm in agreement with legalization. There are far more serious issues to deal with from a law enforcement/public interest standpoint. I'm just concerned that young people will equate "legal" with "harmless". And, I know I sound like an old fogey, but I just can't get the stereotype of the feckless pothead out of my mind. I know that isn't fair, but the thing is, you don't see responsible consumers out in general public - it's the doofus driving down the highway in a cloud of pot smoke or the hoodee-clad teen at the bus stop, annoying seniors.
I don't really have any experience with cannabis - the last time I tried it was when I was 15, due to peer pressure more than anything else. I couldn't inhale it, because I just erupted in a coughing fit. I decided then and there, that I simply have no use for the stuff. So, I do not have any personal knowledge of what the appeal is.

I enjoy whisky, wine and beer for their flavour profiles, but not for their intoxicating effects. One or two drinks at a time is sufficient for me. Since I have no interest in having my "mind altered", I see no reason to try cannabis now.
Bottom line: I make no judgement of cannabis users, as long as they do so responsibly - same as with drinkers.
You don't have to smoke it to try it. Edibles are a different experience than smoking, though, and can be more intense depending on amount. It doesn't "alter" your mind much more than getting drunk IMHO, at least not like a good psychedelic like LSD or mescaline or peyote :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It makes no difference to me whether its been legalized or not. I also do NOT understand the up roar against it either. The effcts of long term tabaco and alcohol use were also NOT known when legalized during their day. To me, the legalization of pot represents two things; 1) Its going to be a huge revenue source for governemnts just like alcohol and tabaco and 2) It will reduce the amount if illicit cannibus being sold on the streets and make it safer to use as it will NOT be laced with some of the really drugs out there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It makes no difference to me whether its been legalized or not. I also do NOT understand the up roar against it either. The effcts of long term tabaco and alcohol use were also NOT known when legalized during their day. To me, the legalization of pot represents two things; 1) Its going to be a huge revenue source for governemnts just like alcohol and tabaco and 2) It will reduce the amount if illicit cannibus being sold on the streets and make it safer to use as it will NOT be laced with some of the really drugs out there.
Actually once big agri-business gets involved who knows how safe it will be. Think Roundup. This is a concern here in Oregon, especially those growers who took particular care to grow organically and responsibly....fwiw never had any pot laced with anything (other than thai stick back in the day laced with opium, but that is what that was supposed to be). At worse it's pesticides as a general concern with any "lacing"....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually once big agri-business gets involved who knows how safe it will be. Think Roundup. This is a concern here in Oregon, especially those growers who took particular care to grow organically and responsibly....fwiw never had any pot laced with anything (other than thai stick back in the day laced with opium, but that is what that was supposed to be). At worse it's pesticides as a general concern with any "lacing"....
Lacing pot is a big deal as the stuff they lace it with is deadly or highly addictive. I'm not down playing pesticides but pesticides is prevalent in all foods already and it is bad. But if I were to smoke one J, I rather take the J grown in an evironment where pesticide was used over a J that is laced.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lacing pot is a big deal as the stuff they lace it with is deadly or highly addictive. I'm not down playing pesticides but pesticides is prevalent in all foods already and it is bad. But if I were to smoke one J, I rather take the J grown in an evironment where pesticide was used over a J that is laced.
Is this unique to Canada the lacing with other drugs? What are they lacing it with?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
You don't have to smoke it to try it. Edibles are a different experience than smoking, though, and can be more intense depending on amount. It doesn't "alter" your mind much more than getting drunk IMHO, at least not like a good psychedelic like LSD or mescaline or peyote :)
That's the thing - if I have no more interest in getting high than drunk, why would I try it in any form? If you told me that it was highly nutritious and tasty, that might make a difference. But, I haven't heard anything like that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's the thing - if I have no more interest in getting high than drunk, why would I try it in any form? If you told me that it was highly nutritious and tasty, that might make a difference. But, I haven't heard anything like that.
It's more sense heightening than mind-altering; I was trying to address the mind-altering fear (altho mind altering shouldn't be feared IMO). It can be very tasty, tho (especially depending on the edible, I make some dark chocolate ones that are really good). Great for music so an audiophile should give it a try over alcohol IMO.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
possible harmful side effects.
Clearly, you're not a fan of weed. That's cool. I honestly hope it stays that way too. Having your mind changed wouldn't be pleasant.

To clarify, my scepticism is directed at many of the users smoking up for "medical conditions".
Funny, my skepticism is directed at the governments that made it their business to be in everybody's business whether it's prohibition of alcohol or weed. And it's all good as far as they're concerned. Yeah SORRY about all that time you spent in jail for a crime we made up but yeah ... have a joint that has taxes attached ... it's healthy now.

Now that it's legal, I suppose that scepticism is rendered moot. I most certainly appreciate that there are medical benefits derived from cannabis - I don't have any issue with it. But, back when recreational use was prohibited, people faking conditions in order to get legal access to cannabis cast suspicion on all users of medically prescribed cannabis.
Back when recreational use was prohibited ... :rolleyes:

There was a time it was illegal to be gay up there. Law and order is great until you get lawyers making the laws, changing the laws, registering you, taxing you, incarcerating you. Be suspicious of the lawmakers, not the law breakers. We're the good guys! Although prison for gay people might have worked out on some level.

- it's the doofus driving down the highway in a cloud of pot smoke or the hoodee-clad teen at the bus stop, annoying seniors.
The driving thing isn't a point of contention. I agree that everybody behind the wheel needs to be in their right mind. And some people don't know how to act but as you posted earlier, a $672 lesson on how to act might dry up the weed budget for a while. It's like Public Displays of Affection ... maybe okay at a night club but not so much at Sunday Mass. KNOW your audience! :D

I'll judge them for you ... same as with drinkers. They're f^%&ing degenerates. Yeah yeah, ... I know it takes one to know one ... but it's still true.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Is this unique to Canada the lacing with other drugs? What are they lacing it with?
Lacing is not endemic to Canada. Its prevalent in the US as well. You said that pot is legal in your state. Maybe its legalization is why you don't see the lacing issue.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lacing is not endemic to Canada. Its prevalent in the US as well. You said that pot is legal in your state. Maybe its legalization is why you don't see the lacing issue.
No, I doubt it's that prevalent, sounds more like propaganda/scare stories....I take it you have no first hand information about this? It probably happens but to the same dumb consumer that buys drugs from strangers on the street....like someone who might buy a white van speaker? (a little audiophile humor) No one I know (and we're talking a large number of people I know personally) who consumes cannabis products has encountered anything like that but we tend to cultivate relationships with people we trust and often grow as far as that goes. It's only recently become legal here recreationally, medical has been around a while both here and in California where I used to live. Keep in mind pot wasn't made illegal for health concerns....here's an article discussing origins including the Hearst/Anslinger conspiracy https://www.alternet.org/story/77339/debunking_the_hemp_conspiracy_theory/

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I think it was during the Reagan era that they said the pot was laced with paraquat and you'd die smoking it.

Am I in heaven?

They also tried about a million ways to kill a monkey with pot. They had themselves some pretty happy monkeys until it was pointed out that they were suppose to come back with results that pot was a killer so they basically strapped a mask on a monkey and killed it with smoke inhalation. Then they had a scientific study saying pot kills.

Just say Yo! ... I mean no.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1650884/

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think it was during the Reagan era that they said the pot was laced with paraquat and you'd die smoking it.

Am I in heaven?

They also tried about a million ways to kill a monkey with pot. They had themselves some pretty happy monkeys until it was pointed out that they were suppose to come back with results that pot was a killer so they basically strapped a mask on a monkey and killed it with smoke inhalation. Then they had a scientific study saying pot kills.

Just say Yo! ... I mean no.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1650884/
LOL and with the quality of that patch of official gubmint weed they grew (still grow?) they probably didn't even get the monkeys high while abusing them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis