A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Waiting, patiently, for the litter-review of the new Predator movie. Thank you.
:D Well you could see it yourself and if it sucked throw the cinema ticket into the cat litter will count.

Films suck today at cinemas they only do a few weeks in number 1 screen and with so many of these so, so blockbusters its not like the years before, I mean some decades ago now.

When EARTHQUAKE (1974) played at cinemas in the UK in SENSURROUND it rumbled for many months from late November 28th '74 well into spring time '75 now that is what I call going to the cinema. Today its utter crap. Might as well now stay at home and run a film that tickles ones fancy for a week or few weeks or maybe a month without getting blue in the face with it?

EARTHQUAKE thou maybe or maybe not a gimmick it was a big deal for cinema sound fans back then.

Predator (1987) when that played at the local Odeon down town in screen 2 with surrounds on the sidewalls back wall and clusters evenly spread around in the ceiling, yes overhead surround I mean what else can it be called? :D I think that one only had around 3 or 4 weeks in screen 2. Mostly the Bond films played for just over a month. STAR WARS original played in screens 1 and 2 with overhead surrounds thou it was just Dolby Stereo with a CP50 and the speakers for surrounds cleverly fitted in the ceiling and that film played for nearly half a year. tfa only played for few nightmarish weeks and then it was forgotten?

A few yards down the road from Odeon Predator, was first shown regularly late night showings at Cannon cinema in screen 1 as double bill or again in same screen as quad bill with Die Hard 1 and 2 Predator 1 and 2 that was cool way to listen to the films I had to use matchsticks to keep my eyes open by around 3rd showing as it was like early AM morning hours still dark outside started around 11pm finished around 6:30am, that was some decades ago now.

Seeing original Star Wars at the Odoen in screen 1 triple bill with just overhead surrounds it was "originals immerse" and on a Cinerama curved screen back around '83, '84? Also saw the double bill '81 I think same auditorium.

Today if they showed those films they'd be digital hard drives might as well stay at home as if its not 35 and regular-70mm, it isn't CINEMA. Its like cinema has really become home cinema only got pay to see it. Cheaper at home as you can rewind a scene play it few more times then resume the film. At the cinema you have to wait for it to end to pay to see it again so £25 each time to see that cool scene wow what waste of money.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Patched up an phone to RCA lead to computer to rear back of one of Marantz SR8012 L/R inputs as direct 7.1 input thou can be used its just that the SR8012 Audio/Graphic EQ is not functional in the direct-7.1 mode. So I used one of L/R inputs so I can see roughly what bandwidth the 9 band EQ is.

EQ tesing.JPG

I purposely used a -20db cut to see how it affects the frequency response of the wide-band pink noise.

Looking at the graph when cutting one of the frequency bands it appears to be wide-band rather than a narrow band as its commonly affecting the neighboring frequencies above/below the 2Khz range which is okay for the testing that I'm doing with reducing the mid/high range frequencies so that action films can have a greater bass range rather than the mid to high toppy end while losing out on the bass action feel of it all.

EQ tesing 2.JPG

With the SR8012 GEQ set to flat and now using the Dolby CP65 Cat-64B EQ at 2Khz the EQ bands on the Dolby EQ is narrow band 1/3 oct with max cut at -6db it also has less affect on neighboring frequencies.

EQ tesing 3.JPG

EQ tesing 4.JPG

EQ tesing 5.JPG
EQ tesing 6.JPG

Switching the SR8012 sound mode from DSU to Stereo mode to check one of the left right channels. Okay that looks more like it. Not sure if the DSU was using frequency band-pass cut? Still checking it.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I know the DSU and dts Neural:X will only alter the frequency when in the analog mode or with 4:2:4 Dolby Stereo matrix mixes and Stereo when switched into anyone one of the DSU dts Neural:X modes it should affect the discrete full-range frequency response.

EQ tesing 7.JPG

Stereo mode all Stereo channels with dts Neural:X

EQ tesing 8.JPG
EQ tesing 9.JPG
EQ tesing 10.JPG

Testing Stereo all channel mode of centre channel only with the SR8012 GEQ 2Khz -20db cut to see how it appears.

Okay I'm satisfied with it for now with that testing may come back to it at later time.

This is how I spend the Sunday afternoon while watching Olympus Has Fallen, for the 4th day in a row now.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
It does appear that manufacturers are pushing for this, apps thing.

I been thinking about buying a Ipod or Tablet so I can purchase the Audyssey multeq xt32 app but little confused on what brand-name model I want to buy as there so many at different prices just as long as it has the iOs 8 or higher the iOS 12 being latest version. Also been reading the some disappointed owners using the Audyssey multeq xt32 app, some saying it doesn't work and its but of rip off? Maybe its the iOS type or maybe the program got corrupted when downloading?

I may get a tablet ipod what ever next month not in hurry to access the Audyssey multeq xt32 app, thou would have been better if that RS232 on the back of the AVR and most other AVR/AVP can be used with a standard pc computer as well very frustrating.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I am myself Bipolar. I suffer depression and manic depression.

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/surround-speaker-dipole-vs-bipole

I been dwelling on what Gene, Hugo been discussing in this monopole, bipolar and "die", die-polar lol

If Toole is down must have down, down syndrome must be thinking like me down as in below surround! Its the one thing that isn't happening at dubbing stages cinemas and in the home maybe at a theme-park?

As for "stay surrounded" I easily do that in my sleep while counting electronic- db-sheep.

I need to build a speaker surround system that can make the walls ceiling and floor come sound alive...

My speakers and everyone else's speakers are Dumb and why am I that have an IQ buying these Dumb speakers?

Real Life sound, around myself outdoors from traffic atmospheric that we each and all can hear coming from over few miles away yet that sort of sound in a film mix if I stand up and walk around ... thou I don't need a film mix to listen too I would use wide-band pink noise and it has point location source that |I could spot easily Blinded-folded.

The thing with sound and size of my room is the thing I want to do, try, do or do not there is no try or maybe trial and error? Is have speaker driver that can travel around in an eclo.... Oh here we go again enclosure. Real Life sound isn't stuffed inside a wooden box.

Free air speakers I mean its still going to be inside a room which is box. Oh this is depressing me now :( I have give it some thought. There must be a sound speaker think-tank somewhere where everyone is giving this, sound phenomena physics lots of thought?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I have to listen to this, video again as its funny and serious all at the same time the humor and taking the piss is humorous in this, crazy expensive field.

I may try someThing with some speaker driver parts later on in the afternoon in free-air, again as was doing someThing different week ago listening to the low frequencies with generator sine wave tones. I know the speaker is still going to be Dumb with what it can and can't do.

"its still better than a Gimmicky reflection speaker"
Gene

Maybe theme parks are better why don't they let the public get involved in reenactment from Die Hard rolling down some stairs with a bad-guy it would be better sounding and feeling bruised afterwards than the film itself.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Feeling vexed and depressed with surround sound today maybe having Bipolar mood swing.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
William Somerset: [discovering what's inside the package] California, tell your people to stay away. Stay away now, don't - don't come in here. Whatever you hear, stay away! John Doe has the upper hand!

Magic: [curiously sniffs the box] What's inside the box?
AVR1.jpg

Second Onkyo TX SR875 these sell cheaply and with the idea I have in mind with the two of them once the x2 100meter cable arrives for the install.

AVR2.jpg

Packing for the item was great there must have been 3 layers of cardboard to double up inside at base sides and top with layers of bubble wrap.

AVR5.jpg

Testing it to see if its working as it should and all checked out fine with swapping the control 1 around on all channels and then finally testing bit longer with just LCR with Alien Converat with RCA lead connected to the Panasonic 900 THX, to SR-875 (coaxial only).

AVR6.jpg
Placed the JBL control on top of the edge of flat screen.
AVR7.jpg

Next thought I test the speakers facing upwards.

AVR8.jpg

Tied up the room a bit then placed LCR on the floor facing upwards while doing some listening around the room imaging of highs was still detectable at front row. Back row the highs due to the front row seats being in-front of me was still detectable only at slight few db less.

AVR9.jpg

AVR10.jpg

Now all I have to do is a little re-plugging of the RCA leads and run new speaker cable runs though to the home cinema.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Re-tuning the screen channels with three calibration microphones positioned at HF horn / Bass mid and one at the reflex port opening.
I may add a forth mic to the other port later to double check.
EQ1.jpg

EQ2.jpg

EQ3.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
x2 new reels of 100 meter cable plus whats left of the other reel.

43561589_10156566305010149_2667856452449730560_n.jpg
43582780_10156566305135149_4516513623366959104_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Wired up the other Onkyo TX SR-875 to the side surrounds JBL 8330 while set in pro-logic IIx to see if it can decode any extra sound signals or create some extra spaciousness from the discrete stereo LR side surrounds for the JBL control 1 underneath the seating.

Normal side LR surrounds output is connected to one of Onkyo TX SR-875 Lt Rt inputs and set to (Pro Logic IIx movie)

Below surrounds are wired to left right side surround output with speakers underneath the front row seating.

The extra rear back surround I not yet wired up the speakers for below rear seating.

I can hear a difference from when using the Dolby CP45 to channel a mono matrix below surround that was sent equally to front/back row seating,Now I can do it in stereo.

The discrete rear back stereo surrounds may need another Onkyo TX SR-875 to expand on stereo signal same goes with discrete Atmos/dtsX overhead surrounds to see if I can expand it from 4 speakers with two matching Onkyo TX SR-875 one for each discrete Height 1 LR and Height 2 LR.

Difficult to what to call this? While listening only to the side surrounds with extra speakers under the seating I'm starting to think about re-wiring the x3 each sidewall JBL 8330 surrounds and see how that sounds?

44079873_10156580029840149_4864431099901640704_n.jpg
44235359_10156580029960149_330976476251815936_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Tech BP-64 channel patch bay arrived today had to get this from USA as hardly any over here at decent low price.

My cat Magic was all over the packing and even tried to crawl inside the narrow box he sure has thing for cardboard boxes. :D Glad I adopted him. :)

44324926_10156580027570149_2454013385151348736_n.jpg
44119788_10156580027670149_3935369222112149504_n.jpg
44278078_10156580118945149_8934804789238169600_n.jpg
44106522_10156580119070149_5092904071350714368_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Expanded the sidewall surrounds into separate array channels.
Rewired the sidewall surrounds so that the extra Onkyo TX SR-875 that is mated with main AVR Marantz SR6012 Dolby Atmos / dtsX via the side stereo surrounds that normally I had wired playing the same sound stereo sidewall signal into three speakers per sidewall. Now I have split them up using the PLIIx movie mode on the extra Onkyo TX SR875 so that the signal is divided up into separate matrix channels that seems to work with better speciousness of the sound panning moving from one speaker to the other.

So the diagram is best way I can channel the sidewall arrays with front furthest wired to Onkyo TX SR-875 front LR outputs.
Middle surrounds wired to side surround outputs.
Back side surround wired to rear back surround output.

Its down to how the mix is created and how the PLIIx moves the sound signals along the sidewalls. It works maybe not like the Dolby Atmos pan-though but it works and I'm starting to like it at cheap cost to do this.

Still experimenting with levels to get them timber matched. I could use, the manual EQ or careful use the Audyssey multeq mic on JBL 8330 to get them adjusted but I rather do it manually but the Onyko manual EQ is rather restricted to 9 bands per each channel. To use separate outboard EQ I would have to use the RCA outputs on the Onkyo TX SR875 and the cost of extra amplifiers but as it is its not all right or wrong it works and again at sensible diy budget cost. I think its best improvement I done to the sidewall surrounds that they can now play differently.

The rear back wall surrounds may get a third Onkyo TX SR-875 but need two more JBL 8330 that would have to be positioned very closely but I don't see the real need to do it If the room was wider maybe I would do it.

With five screen plus the left/right surround, left/rear back surround the four overhead surrounds and the two subs
3.2.2.4.2 - 13 channels or
5.2.2.4.2 - 15 channels and now
5.3.3.4.2 19 channels. Blimey it even does my own head in. :D

Presently the centre channel output from the Onkyo TX SR-875 is set to OFF so the forward side surrounds have the phantom-centre merged. I could use 9th JBL 8330 or repair my other 5th JBL control 5 and mount that to the ceiling in the middle between the four Atmos/dtsX overheads or leave it as it is or experiment with later on.

I'm listening to sound to see how well it merges with back wall surrounds with repeated playings of Alien Coverant, Dolby Atmos, chapter 20.

I'll rewire the below surrounds back up when I can figure out what decoder to use and which output I want to connect it to. As it is now, sort of excited with it.

The diagram is only showing how I wired the surround arrays. There are other AVR's in the rack to reduce cost for powering the speakers with a few pro amplifiers and other processors in the main room that links all this together.

Atmos expansion.JPG

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
William Somerset: [discovering what's inside the package] California, tell your people to stay away. Stay away now, don't - don't come in here. Whatever you hear, stay away! John Doe has the upper hand!

b1.jpg
b2.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Fitting up more acoustical treatment tiles at a few at time as I can't stand the smell of the adhesive spray so few tiles at a time and I can gradual hear the room going from reflective to absorptive. Other box teared up. So that's x12 bass traps I have and still not fitted them up yet. Another x32 wedge tiles plus few others for odd fittings. Not even started on the ceiling yet.
44183256_10156583884555149_369315596308840448_n.jpg

44247804_10156583884495149_4847268208723361792_n.jpg
44273531_10156583884800149_7579081448674557952_n.jpg
44290403_10156583884845149_35506498930999296_n.jpg

The other box that was in same place as this newer box I emptied it out of the bass traps "its a trap" stuck them on top of box, ripped up the other box for the bin. No sense hoarder boxes now thou, Magic wouldn't mind. :D

44187723_10156583884625149_3810578702513733632_n.jpg

Yeah so x12 bass "its a trap"' and looking around the room as to where to fit them?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Removed the Tascam 32 channel patch bay and fitted a Tech 64 channel patch bay rewired re-plugged the cabling and tied it up with lots of cable ties over before as it was a bit untidy and now looks better maybe not 100%, but tidier.

The Tech PB-64 I got from USA as there was hardly any cheaper ones on ebay within the UK that had enough inputs/outputs.
44402450_10156588411470149_1053651186760024064_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General

44950880_10156601725360149_853743398551552000_n.jpg

44812332_10156601725580149_7104397578606739456_n.jpg

Vintage JVC HR-D725EK in working order
Four of two stereo outputs
. Hi-Fi Stereo for newer Hi-Fi VHS tapes
. Longitude Stereo for linear older Stereo VHS tapes

43745628_10156601656075149_364981781033648128_n.jpg
44825727_10156601656310149_3306409289253388288_n.jpg

44980358_10156601748715149_3078462648866570240_n.jpg

Rack space in the main two of three matching racks the space was tight fit for the JVC HR-D725EK within few millimeters.

Picture has a bit of artificial dotted or wavy line noise that I think is being processed by the Marnatz SR6012 digital picture processor or other?

Unplugged video lead and went direct to video input on the flat screen the dotted wavy noise not visible. The Onkyo TX SR875 digital picture enhancer didn't seem to have this problem I trying to figure out to eliminate the digital artifact noise I think its a grounding of sort as the Laserdisc player also has similar noise on its video output. The player also has a (RGB on the SCRAT output for DVD only) but not tried it yet to see if the noise is there or gone.

I can hear faint background electrical buzzing when volume is turned up high so there is a noise of a sort that could be a grounding unless I can get an analogue to digital convertor to take the RCA LR signal and convert to digital to use on the AVR optical input then I can disconnect the RCA LR leads as when they are connected along with video input I hear faint noise. if I disconnect the video lead the noise is gone or maybe I need an analogue to digital HDMI convertor to convert the video signal into a HDMI and then do away with one of the RCA leads that seems to be carrying the signal noise.

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Print frame for the Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System, poster.
Snap frame type that un-clips easy to mount on wall door surface fix poster into position and place the transparent plastic sheet over poster then clip the edges of the frames back and that is it.
1.jpg

3.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis