canton or cerwin vega

xreaperx22

xreaperx22

Junior Audioholic
choices choices.ok so im getting another pair of speakers,i have 700-750$ to spend on them,i have found a couple pairs i really like,one is the canton gle 496.2 which i almost bought awhile ago but didnt,shame on me lol and the other is Cerwin-vega XLS-28
both seem to be really great,the vegas though seem to be more "fun" and the cantons seem to be more "refined" so what you guys think? Also ill throw these in the mix.The Yamaha NS-777,they seem to be pretty cool also.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want dynamic range, get the CWs. If you want a more accurate sound, my money would be on the Cantons. I would say if you want a very good mixture of both, check out the Fluance Three-way towers. They can punch hard and they have a very nice frequency response. They are in your budget.

xreaperx22

xreaperx22

Junior Audioholic
thanks for the response,I did alot of research on those fluance speakers and found an article where the guy opened up the box to see what was inside,the xover was a cheapo 3 element one with junk parts according to the guy examining them,if i can find that article again ill post the link for you,he had step by step pics of what he did and you can clearly see the so called xover lol

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
thanks for the response,I did alot of research on those fluance speakers and found an article where the guy opened up the box to see what was inside,the xover was a cheapo 3 element one with junk parts according to the guy examining them,if i can find that article again ill post the link for you,he had step by step pics of what he did and you can clearly see the so called xover lol
When first released, the Fluance towers were found to have some real problems. Fluance redid the crossover. I have listened to and measured the Fluance Three-way tower, and it actually has a pretty nice response now. Audioholics review on the revised Fluance Three-way here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, is your choice based on just research and reviews/spec or have you heard each of these? Sounds like you might have heard the Cantons but not sure...fwiw JBL 590s for a bit more are on sale now. Review here

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Are you anywhere near southeast Virginia? I'm selling my GLE 496.2 that I just bought back in May. You could listen to them in person (and buy em cheaper if you liked them ;)).

I had a pair of Fluance Signatures earlier this year, and they have much stronger bass than the Canton's but get their butts kicked everywhere else. The GLE's are a $1500 pair of speakers being sold for $700 while the Sig's are $700 speakers being sold at their price point.

xreaperx22

xreaperx22

Junior Audioholic
ah yes,seems that article i read was dated,"note to self,check dates"but still i cant see spending that kind of money on an off brand not that there off but there not like well klipsch,canton,svs,kef etc etc,bass wont matter much i have a 12" sunfire sub to mate with the towers,yeah im basing it on a few things,reviews mostly and looks,those JBL's im sure sound great but boy are they ugly lol,im in hagerstown maryland so im not that far from virginia,what finish are those GLE's you have in? Also coming from a car audio background,that is where i get my cerwin-vega love from, i used almost exclusively their product in all my vehicles.Oh and yeah i have heard the GLE 496 but but not the 496.2 so im figuring they could only be better.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What you value most is what I recommend you purchase.

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
Those NS777 refurbished would be only $560 plus shipping, then you could save money or spend it on miniDSP or something.

Yea those JBL are ugly, but if their sound captivated me I wouldn't care.

xreaperx22

xreaperx22

Junior Audioholic
wow those are the same finish i was going to get lol! love that tiger wood look,yeah i think i may go for the gle's.
they just look sooo good plus they would match the shelves and stuff i have in the room.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

wow those are the same finish i was going to get lol! love that tiger wood look,yeah i think i may go for the gle's.
they just look sooo good plus they would match the shelves and stuff i have in the room.
I won't have a chance today but tomorrow I will get pics and post in the For Sale forum. I'll make you a good deal if you decide to make that drive and you like them. (And the gas will be a lot cheaper than return shipping if you don't. :))

xreaperx22

xreaperx22

Junior Audioholic
cool beans man! i look forward to seeing them,and yeah alot cheaper,tho i rarely send anything back unless its broken lol

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
choices choices.ok so im getting another pair of speakers,i have 700-750$ to spend on them,i have found a couple pairs i really like,one is the canton gle 496.2 which i almost bought awhile ago but didnt,shame on me lol and the other is Cerwin-vega XLS-28
both seem to be really great,the vegas though seem to be more "fun" and the cantons seem to be more "refined" so what you guys think? Also ill throw these in the mix.The Yamaha NS-777,they seem to be pretty cool also.
The ONLY Cerwin Vega's that I really enjoyed were the MX250's and they're big brother the MX400's an amaaaaazing speaker back in the day. They were made especially for the military limited release. Cerwin actually put love into this line. And they sounded I know memory isn't always accurate but I still remember this line as being one if the best speakers I've ever listened to period. I still to this day regret selling them off. They're just so big and blocky to much of a pain in the ass to move. You can still find them on eBay from time to time for some pretty good deals. Anyways good luck on your selection!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

This gave me quite a laugh:
It's actually kind of sad... he admits that he has fallen into the trap of "there's always something better" and he can't even enjoy what he has. That's the real-life equivalent of the MMO "gear treadmill."

I've read so many reviews on so many different products over the last few months trying to piece together a system within budget. The one phrase that stuck with me the most (and I can't remember where I read it) was the reviewer being so blown away by a pair of speakers that he finally found himself listening to music instead of listening to his equipment.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I believe you may have read it about Elac Debut B5 or B6. There is a lot of flowery language waxed on those. I have a pair which I purchased relatively cheaply. They are perfectly good $200 speakers, but not even close to the best you could buy below $1000. I have also seen videos and threads where spending over 500 on new crossovers and cabinet damping was justified. This madness was to the point that Andrew Jones entered the conversation and pointed out these were designed for a price point and the specific compromises were made for cost reasons.

However don't be too sad for him he is a vlogger, and clearly likes spending his own cash on this stuff. From actually watching this and some of his other video, he didn't like the Cantons, then did like the Cantons. The logic, and therefore the justification, was that the rest of the chain was sub par and therefore not providing them with the requisite. Once he changed some of the other components then they were worth the cash. 20K is unfortunately by no means excessive or particularly expensive for audiophiles. If you want to see silly money and weird justifications then check out almost any of AVshowreports videos. 20K in that realm is pocket change.

xreaperx22

xreaperx22

Junior Audioholic
i been looking on ebay alot lately,i have found some good deals on speakers that frankly i never heard of lol although some are vintage and when brand new were in excess of 3k$ so idk maybe i will just buy a few pairs of these speakers and see how they sound,who knows i might find something pretty great! heres hoping...

p.s one of the pairs i found were infinity alpha 50 tower speakers,now i have heard of infinity but mostly car audio,and there kappa line was amazing.
Another pair i found were called Snell audio E-5 towers these i never heard of at all.
I did find a pair of Jamo concert series 11 audiophile towers,from before klipsch bought them out they want 900 for the pair! those were 3600$ speakers lol. and there in mint condition.hmm i may bite.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis