Should I be worried?

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Ok, so I caught the news coverage of the tornadoes in Iowa yesterday. 27 conformed touchdowns. When I lived in Iowa, one month of May the state had 150 tornadoes.

So onto the concern. A tornado hit the Vermeer plant in Pella. I used to work there and it hit the building attached to the building I worked in. So that now makes two former employers that have been hit by tornadoes (one had two different facilities hit by tornadoes), one by a hurricane, and a fourth got hit with 11 inches of rain in one night flooding the whole town. Grand total of 4 former employers hit with natural disasters.

Pure coincidence or should I start to worry?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, based on that, your current employer doesn't have to worry as long as you keep working there. Tell me you aren't self employed...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Sounds like your former co-workers are the ones that should bee worried.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Well, based on that, your current employer doesn't have to worry as long as you keep working there. Tell me you aren't self employed...
I am self employed now. Got sick of corporate BS and went out on my own. 4 years in 17 days.

Vermeer wasn't well run when I worked there and my hiring boss left after I was there 2 months. Should have seen the signs. Telecom stocks crashed in 2000 and their biggest market (>50% of revenue) crashed hard. They hadn't been watching their inventory nor their dealer inventory. Just build, build, build. I was lucky and caught in the first round of layoffs along with 300 other people. It got much uglier later on. But I had great coworkers when I was there and enjoyed the 9 months I was there till the cuts hit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Scratch those retirement plans then or move someplace low on natural disasters....

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Should you be worried? Nah, it's bad luck to be superstitious. But if you do decide to harness your X-Men like superpower of being able to cause extreme weather events, consider taking a sabbatical to Colorado this winter. Bring us the pow.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok, so I caught the news coverage of the tornadoes in Iowa yesterday. 27 conformed touchdowns. When I lived in Iowa, one month of May the state had 150 tornadoes.

So onto the concern. A tornado hit the Vermeer plant in Pella. I used to work there and it hit the building attached to the building I worked in. So that now makes two former employers that have been hit by tornadoes (one had two different facilities hit by tornadoes), one by a hurricane, and a fourth got hit with 11 inches of rain in one night flooding the whole town. Grand total of 4 former employers hit with natural disasters.

Pure coincidence or should I start to worry?
Well we should all be worried.

American building codes have been lamentable since inception. The standard of American buildings are not fit for purpose. Change needs to come fast. It is catch up time. For instance there should absolutely be no stick buildings allowed any longer. The climate is and will change fast. Most current buildings start having trouble in 65 MPH winds! Frankly they are not worth the asking price.

I'm currently drawing up plans for a concrete house, and hope to start in about six weeks.
It will be an ICF Insulated concrete forms) home. They are strong and very well insulated in and out and highly energy efficient.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Well we should all be worried.

American building codes have been lamentable since inception. The standard of American buildings are not fit for purpose. Change needs to come fast. It is catch up time. For instance there should absolutely be no stick buildings allowed any longer. The climate is and will change fast. Most current buildings start having trouble in 65 MPH winds! Frankly they are not worth the asking price.

I'm currently drawing up plans for a concrete house, and hope to start in about six weeks.
It will be an ICF Insulated concrete forms) home. They are strong and very well insulated in and out and highly energy efficient.
As you build, post photos and tidbits of what you learn. I'd like to build using poured concrete to create a stronger base and wall system plus more energy efficient. Weather is getting more severe and I'd like to have a place that is more solid than my current stick built place.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis