MartinLogan Improves Performance and Features of Dynamo Subwoofers

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The original Dynamo subwoofer series were a smash hit for MartinLogan. In fact, we learned subwoofers are their best selling products. But, MartinLogan is not a company to rest on their laurels or past accolades. The redesign of their Dynamo subwoofers was massive project years in the making that we got to see first-hand via a personal press event.

These new Dynamo subs place an emphasis on wireless technologies, with smartphone app control of the subs functions, app control of automated room equalization, and optional wireless signal transmission. They are loaded with a plethora of other innovations and performance enhancements that will satisfy Bassaholics of every budget level.

dynamo.jpg

Read: MartinLogan Revamps Dynamo Subwoofer Series

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
looking forward these models on 50% sale, which would actually (IMHO) make these competitive to their ID counterparts

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
looking forward these models on 50% sale, which would actually (IMHO) make these competitive to their ID counterparts
I think looking at these things in terms of raw SPL headroom is the wrong way to see them. Martin Logan is not running in a SPL drag race with these things. I think they are responding to their market research, where many people just want something that looks nice and is easy to setup and calibrate. I think you are over-estimating the number of people who are chasing after THX reference level bass output. Let's not forget that the first Dynamo series were hugely successful for Martin Logan.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I think looking at these things in terms of raw SPL headroom is the wrong way to see them. Martin Logan is not running in a SPL drag race with these things. I think they are responding to their market research, where many people just want something that looks nice and is easy to setup and calibrate. I think you are over-estimating the number of people who are chasing after THX reference level bass output. Let's not forget that the first Dynamo series were hugely successful for Martin Logan.
I agree, the low-bass massive output race is not a phenomenon I encounter outside of Audioholics. And it's not usually a WAF problem when I get asked for advice; the guys aren't interested in simulating earthquakes either. I'm beginning to think that chasing 100db@10Hz bass is a form of socially acceptable mental illness, akin to shooting for a 140mph trap speed in the quarter mile with a street car.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Honestly, while I do appreciate your response and I do respect your opinion as you've tested more speakers than I ever owned ...ever
However I wasn't talking about sheer SPL monster, but more of referring to bass extension vs their price. I think we all could agree that sub which isn't reaching low 20s Hz isn't best fit for HT.
I get that they decided to go after more accurate sub, thus sealed eq'd box. nothing wrong with losing some of the deep bass chasing more accuracy [hate term musicality - it's meaningless]. I didn't said anything like these won't fly of the shelfs.
I merely expressed MY OWN opinion, which is there are plenty of ID subs which would be as accurate, have similar or better bass and cost nearly half.
As for "Looks nice"? How's exactly large black box is any different from any other ID large back box sub?
Again, IMHO, the only reason these would sell, if buyers pushed hard by BB/Magnolia salespeople. I may change my opinion after measurements, but I don't want to keeps my hopes high,

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Honestly, while I do appreciate your response and I do respect your opinion as you've tested more speakers than I ever owned ...ever
However I wasn't talking about sheer SPL monster, but more of referring to bass extension vs their price. I think we all could agree that sub which isn't reaching low 20s Hz isn't best fit for HT.
I get that they decided to go after more accurate sub, thus sealed eq'd box. nothing wrong with losing some of the deep bass chasing more accuracy [hate term musicality - it's meaningless]. I didn't said anything like these won't fly of the shelfs.
I merely expressed MY OWN opinion, which is there are plenty of ID subs which would be as accurate, have similar or better bass and cost nearly half.
As for "Looks nice"? How's exactly large black box is any different from any other ID large back box sub?
Again, IMHO, the only reason these would sell, if buyers pushed hard by BB/Magnolia salespeople. I may change my opinion after measurements, but I don't want to keeps my hopes high,
Agreed that a sub without deep bass extension isn't the best fit for HT, however, what's needed for significant output at low frequencies is large cabinet size. And large cabinet = low sales.

I wouldn't call sealed subs more accurate. I could make a case for them being less accurate.

As for the Dynamo looks, they are a black box, but most of the Dynamos are small and they have a clean and simple aesthetic. No drivers, no ports, no grilles, no wires (except power cable).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't call sealed subs more accurate. I could make a case for them being less accurate.
Not quite what I meant to say. Since it's sealed - it's losing some of lowest bass. It's more accurate (in-room) due to built-in auto room calibration, and partially I GUESS/HOPE due to correctly designed system

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
ouch!

Don't make me re-evaluate my life priorities, Irv!
I re-evaluate my life priorities now and then, though I'm so obsessed with some things the process seldom results in changes. I think those of us who are "not well" in some harmless way actually enjoy our eccentricities.

Nonetheless, I am beginning to wonder if the this site is becoming the new web home of people obsessed with bass performance for the sake of bass performance. Much like some automotive web sites are obsessed with seeing 700hp or more at the wheels of street cars as measured on a dynamometer. I have a room that's at least 8500 cubic feet, an aging sealed 18" sub that's not SOTA anymore (if it ever was),and while I do run the Revels full range, so there's also another six 8" woofers playing along below 150Hz, even on music I know has substantial sub-40Hz content (as measured by my RTA software),it doesn't seem to be stressing the system much at all. Even artificially bass-heavy music, like any of the Michael Murray organ recordings on Telarc, don't appear to be really strenuous exercise. The only thing I've ever done that gets it all hot and bothered is when I ran some 20Hz test tones at 100db at my listening seat in a silly attempt to measure distortion. (Which came in at less than 3% below 80Hz, making me think my set-up was faulty.}

I realize that I'm using music and not action movies to pass judgement, but it does make me ponder what we're advocating. Are we setting expectations for huge bass performance that only massive ported large-driver subs are capable of, when their usefulness is most homes is more for bragging rights than real performance requirements?

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I re-evaluate my life priorities now and then, though I'm so obsessed with some things the process seldom results in changes. I think those of us who are "not well" in some harmless way actually enjoy our eccentricities.

Nonetheless, I am beginning to wonder if the this site is becoming the new web home of people obsessed with bass performance for the sake of bass performance. Much like some automotive web sites are obsessed with seeing 700hp or more at the wheels of street cars as measured on a dynamometer. I have a room that's at least 8500 cubic feet, an aging sealed 18" sub that's not SOTA anymore (if it ever was),and while I do run the Revels full range, so there's also another six 8" woofers playing along below 150Hz, even on music I know has substantial sub-40Hz content (as measured by my RTA software),it doesn't seem to be stressing the system much at all. Even artificially bass-heavy music, like any of the Michael Murray organ recordings on Telarc, don't appear to be really strenuous exercise. The only thing I've ever done that gets it all hot and bothered is when I ran some 20Hz test tones at 100db at my listening seat in a silly attempt to measure distortion. (Which came in at less than 3% below 80Hz, making me think my set-up was faulty.}

I realize that I'm using music and not action movies to pass judgement, but it does make me ponder what we're advocating. Are we setting expectations for huge bass performance that only massive ported large-driver subs are capable of, when their usefulness is most homes is more for bragging rights than real performance requirements?
I think the case is more bassheads just enjoy the sensation of powerful bass and want to share that joy. Many systems aren't really capable of really powerful bass, and these subwoofer aficionados want to show people what they are missing. But you are right, most people just don't need or really crave that kind of sound system. For conventionally recorded acoustic music, subwoofer range frequencies are only used lightly, with a few exceptions. I'm sure high-end Revel floor-standing speakers are more than enough to do such recordings justice.

I agree that the kind of systems that get recommended frequently are way beyond practical. I don't see that on this site too much, but it is a constant on AVSforum. Someone goes on asking whether he should get this sealed Rel 12" or that sealed JL Audio 12", and everyone response no no no you need this JTR dual 18". Or they will say a certain X size room demands multiple 15"s or 18"s, or else you will get no bass at all. It's impractical, and it also shows a majorly oversimplified understanding of how low-frequency acoustics work.

I think one of the appeals of subwoofers is that these guys think their performance can be boiled down to a few simple numbers, so a 10 is better than 9, and an 11 is better than a 10, etc. It makes it simple and easy to rank these products for people who like quantification. While you can use metrics to assess a subwoofer's performance, its not the simplest thing to do. It's also not always the most sensible thing to do, when raw performance is not the highest criteria for many sub shoppers. I do get the passion that these sub enthusiasts have, but I also agree with you that they can lack perspective.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks to AH for including the specs, I sure couldn't find them on the slick-looking Martin Logan site. :cool:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That is an excellent question! But there were beauty in the details and overall proportions! I have to say that some of the newer models of Martin Logan subs (mostly the Dynamos) fall short of the bar, but the older models all had excellent aesthetics!
This is the original Dynamo (which I have). It could be converted from front to down-firing by the base which you could insert into the holes for the grill pegs on the front (or kept on the bottom)!
But look at the photos below and how sophisticated the shape of the molded plastic base is! I would always end up underneath, so would really never get seen, but it is a beautiful bit of design/craftsman in what was Martin-Logan's least expensive subwoofer!
The bottom picture shows it in down-firing position which is how I use mine. Yes it is a black box, but the simplicity of the uninterrupted surface, with the arch across the base, and the quality of the surface finish make it one of the classiest black boxes I have seen!

Then there was the M-L Depth (3ea. 8" drivers):

But I have to agree that some of the newer M-L subs are just clunky in comparison!
IMHO, they totally sacrificed the elegance of the earlier Dynamo's feet with this model and the emblem destroys the clean look of the earlier model (at least the surface finish is still the same):

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
But look at the photos below and how sophisticated the shape of the molded plastic base is!
... the simplicity of the uninterrupted surface, with the arch across the base....
Ever considered doing poetry ? :)

I'll call your sub & yellow couch and raise you with my sub & yellow couch (stock photo, I wish I had 10k Sub2):

As for general sub aesthetics (not that it's an issue for me) but JL Phantom and SVS Ultra (ported) if money no object

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not quite what I meant to say. Since it's sealed - it's losing some of lowest bass. It's more accurate (in-room) due to built-in auto room calibration, and partially I GUESS/HOPE due to correctly designed system
Actually its with ported you lose the lowest bass frequencies (below tuning)....but you might need a bunch of sealed subs to really realize them :)

D

darealest1

Enthusiast
I was at that reveal in dallas and I was impressed. I got the impression they were directly trying to keep step with SVS with their new subwoofer line, which isn't a bad thing

D

darealest1

Enthusiast
I was surprised there is no dsp switch for front firing and down firing mode. Iasked the rep and he said the subs function and sound the exact same in both modes, which I find a little hard to believe

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I was surprised there is no dsp switch for front firing and down firing mode. Iasked the rep and he said the subs function and sound the exact same in both modes, which I find a little hard to believe
The rep is mostly correct. The only difference might be that distortion and noises like cone flutter might be better masked in down-firing. But even then, you would have to push these subs pretty hard to drive them into gross distortion.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis