New Home Theater design questions

C

CEJ

Audiophyte
Hello,
I have a room that we are turning in a theater room. The room is 20x13.5x9. I am trying to decide between 5.1.2 or 7.1.2/4? Is the room big enough for 7.1? Will there be enough benefit over cost? I have the Sony VPL SXRD projector, screen and onkyo receiver. I am using Definitive Technology 9040's for the front. A mythos Ten for my center. I just want some suggestions before I buy anymore. Your thoughts please?

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
In a room this size, it's really not so much about the dimensions of the room, but rather the seating position in relation to the walls. So, could you post a room diagram with the seating -- hand-drawn is fine.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I would go with a 5.1.4...my understanding is there is little content out there for 7.X. I recently went from 5.1 to 5.1.4 and really like the sound. Not all content is Atmos, but my Denon X4300 does the job.

C

CEJ

Audiophyte
Here is a very ROUGH. sketch. Sorry, using in iPad in the car. As you can see, the screen is centered the seating is roughly 9-12 ft from the screen.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here is a very ROUGH. sketch. Sorry, using in iPad in the car. As you can see, the screen is centered the seating is roughly 9-12 ft from the screen.

Thanks in advance.
Distance to back wall from seats?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would go for 7.1 at the least. go get those back two channels. There are a lot more 7 channel sound mixes out there than Atmos sound mixes. But most of all, get the front 3 and the .1 (subwoofer) right. The front 3 and sub dwarfs everything else in importance.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Looks like you will be fine with a 7.1.4 setup.

A couple of things:

Use bipole speakers for all your surrounds - not dipole.

You can also use bipole InCeiling or OnCeiling speakers for Atmos on ceilings that are 9 feet or less. Your room would be a good candidate for this.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

Thanks in advance.
Assuming the front sofa is the main seating position, you're right on the edge but enough room for a 7.1 system...my MLP is a little over 4' from the rear wall and I was told I might not benefit much with 7.2.4 so I went with a 5.2.4 setup instead.

So far, no complaints.

C

CEJ

Audiophyte
Folks,
Thank you all for the very informative answers. I will keep you all posted as Iprogress..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My custom built room is 22'W x 26'L x 14'H. Yet I chose to go with 5.1 (well, okay, 5.5 since there are 5 subs).

I don't care about 7.2, 9.2, 11.2, ATMOS, DTS:X or whatever comes next because I know the salient speakers are the FRONT END (Front Left, Center, Right, and Subwoofers),not a million surround speakers everywhere.

So I concur with ShadyJ.

If you have to ask this question in the first place, I think you should go with 7.1 or 9.1 regardless of how impractical it may seem. :D

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
My custom built room is 22'W x 26'L x 14'H. Yet I chose to go with 5.1 (well, okay, 5.5 since there are 5 subs).

I couldn't care less about 7.2, 9.2, 11.2, ATMOS, DTS:X or whatever comes next because I know the salient speakers are the FRONT END (Front Left, Center, Right, and Subwoofers), not a million surround speakers everywhere.

So I concur with ShadyJ.

If you have to ask this question in the first place, I think you should go with 7.1 or 9.1 regardless of how practical it may seem. :D
I agree 100% and I have Atmos speakers. I'm glad I went the extra mile, just because really. I've never done HT right or all in if you will. I've said numerous times...with easy attic access above made it an easier task...else I would have a 5.2 system.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thinking most go with matching bipolar SR9040 for sides with 100hz crossover in bass management (possibly forgo surround back or move closer to screen and do SR9040 again, hard choice because you may end up turning them down low if they are too close) and a nice 12 inch ported sub from Rythmik or HSU or SVS or Monolith. Then maybe check out the RSL 34E for ceilings if you still have cash... So thinking 5.1.4 is one way to go. Good luck!

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I don't care about 7.2, 9.2, 11.2, ATMOS, DTS:X or whatever comes next because I know the salient speakers are the FRONT END (Front Left, Center, Right, and Subwoofers),not a million surround speakers everywhere.
How about the rear end? ;)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Looks like you will be fine with a 7.1.4 setup.

A couple of things:

Use bipole speakers for all your surrounds - not dipole.

You can also use bipole InCeiling or OnCeiling speakers for Atmos on ceilings that are 9 feet or less. Your room would be a good candidate for this.
What's the issue with using dipole speakers? My son's room is 16' x 25' x 8.5' and he has KEF Q800ds dipole speakers on the side walls, a foot above and about 18" behind the only sofa which is about 8 feet from the 60" screen. His Q100's are on the far back wall. The front is anchored by a pair of Q500's and a Q200c. His Marantz SR5011 seems to power everything to reference levels when he wants it to, and it sounds simply incredible.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What's the issue with using dipole speakers? My son's room is 16' x 25' x 8.5' and he has KEF Q800ds dipole speakers on the side walls, a foot above and about 18" behind the only sofa which is about 8 feet from the 60" screen. His Q100's are on the far back wall. The front is anchored by a pair of Q500's and a Q200c. His Marantz SR5011 seems to power everything to reference levels when he wants it to, and it sounds simply incredible.
I think one big issue is that Dolby recommends monopoles for Atmos. This is not by accident , and who would know better? Some have used bipoles to reasonable success, but I think phasing with dipoles just doesn’t allow for accurate object placement. I personally dislike di/bipole speakers in general because of the diffusive sound field. Since the op is looking at atmos, I believe that’s why @DigitalDawn made the recommendation.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I believe any bipole or dipole speaker can be easily rewired to be monopole. One just has to be willing.

Of course I agree on Atmos speakers.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
True monopoles are great for larger rooms, but when you have 5 feet or less to the seating, a slightly more diffuse speaker should be used. That's why I suggested bipoles.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis