Klipsch R-26PF 260W Powered Floorstanding Bluetooth Speakers

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That's it, I give up!
I managed to resist these at the $500 they have been running, but I am so intrigued with the concept of these speakers that with the additional $50 discount, I'm ordering a pair.

Last edited:
H

Hokies83

Audioholic
That's it, I give up!
I managed to resist these at the $500 they have been running, but I am so intrigued with the concept of these speakers that with the additional $50 discount, I'm ordering a pair.
Yeah that’s a steal. I just spent $400 on AAM and mtm center and still waiting to buy new RX-v685 or I’d snag this myself

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah that’s a steal. I just spent $400 on AAM and mtm center and still waiting to buy new RX-v685 or I’d snag this myself
Yeah, those AAM's are one of few speakers that compete well with deeply discounted B&M speakers, I know you are enjoying them!
Thanks for posting this!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I was looking over info on the R-26PF's and got a pleasant surprise.
I don't know why you have to go to the manual to get the full story, but these have bass management!
It is locked at a 80Hz crossover point, but it applies a high pass filter to the mains as well as a low pass for the sub.
I wonder how long it will be before other speaker manufacturers offer something like this?
Maybe it won't catch on, but it sure looks like a slice of the future of audio to me!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I had to return these because of some noise coming out of speakers. It was not simple hiss, but sounded like an old-style modem with the whine type of noise along with some white noise (but no where near as loud!). Generally, I had to be within 1 foot of horn to hear it, but if it was late and nothing is running in the house (A/C, fridge, etc),I could detect the sound from 8 feet away.
This sound was present without having any inputs connected (and regardless of which input was selected). Aside from turning it off, the only way to get rid of the noise was the mute button.
I probably could have lived with the noise as I would never notice it on a day-to-day basis; however, I was very worried that it was a sign of the amp being defective . I don't know much about this and wanted to err on the side of caution.

I checked the Klipsch site and could not find Adorama (the seller) either among the official or unofficial dealership sites. However, they were quick to send me a pre-paid UPS label and are refunding my money. I wanted a refund because I wanted to go ahead and get the new ones in route under a new order for my own convenience (2-days to Georgia).

Some notes from listening to the speakers:
1) They generally sound pretty good.
2) I consider a subwoofer a must have for these - First, it is too cool having a sub volume on the RC (that alone is reason enough for me); but second (and even more compelling) the bass seemed pretty blurred (unlike my RF-82ii or RP-160m)! I need to consider that it might be a side effect of a bad amp, but I also thought Klipsch may have tipped up the bass so these might impress more people if used stand alone for HT.. When I enabled the bass management (in essence, applied a 80Hz high pass filter to the mains),I then got the good sound I was hoping for from these speakers.
I will update when I get the new ones to determine if it is a bad amp or bad tuning that causes the blurred bass!
3) I have to say that I like the clean look of my test system. I just placed my compact Parasound Z-CD CD player atop the speaker!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I had to return these because of some noise coming out of speakers. It was not simple hiss, but sounded like an old-style modem with the whine type of noise along with some white noise (but no where near as loud!). Generally, I had to be within 1 foot of horn to hear it, but if it was late and nothing is running in the house (A/C, fridge, etc),I could detect the sound from 8 feet away.
This sound was present without having any inputs connected (and regardless of which input was selected). Aside from turning it off, the only way to get rid of the noise was the mute button.
I probably could have lived with the noise as I would never notice it on a day-to-day basis; however, I was very worried that it was a sign of the amp being defective . I don't know much about this and wanted to err on the side of caution.

I checked the Klipsch site and could not find Adorama (the seller) either among the official or unofficial dealership sites. However, they were quick to send me a pre-paid UPS label and are refunding my money. I wanted a refund because I wanted to go ahead and get the new ones in route under a new order for my own convenience (2-days to Georgia).

Some notes from listening to the speakers:
1) They generally sound pretty good.
2) I consider a subwoofer a must have for these - First, it is too cool having a sub volume on the RC (that alone is reason enough for me); but second (and even more compelling) the bass seemed pretty blurred (unlike my RF-82ii or RP-160m)! I need to consider that it might be a side effect of a bad amp, but I also thought Klipsch may have tipped up the bass so these might impress more people if used stand alone for HT.. When I enabled the bass management (in essence, applied a 80Hz high pass filter to the mains),I then got the good sound I was hoping for from these speakers.
I will update when I get the new ones to determine if it is a bad amp or bad tuning that causes the blurred bass!
3) I have to say that I like the clean look of my test system. I just placed my compact Parasound Z-CD CD player atop the speaker!
I received the replacement pair and they suffer the same hiss. Also a guy on the AVS forum said he had the same issue. So that is three sets of speakers reported on and all have the hiss issue. The hiss is not noticed under normal listening conditions. As I said above, my greatest concern was that this was an indication of a soon-to-fail defective amp!
I left posts on the AVS, Klipsch, and this forum; so hopefully anyone who ends up in the same situation will turn up one ouf these threads and know that exchanging the speakers is a waste of effort. If they cannot live with the hiss, they need to get a refund. If they can live with the hiss, just keep them.
I like the speakers and the conveniences of their design, so I will keep them.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I received a PM asking if the hiss was loud enough to interfere while listening at low to moderate levels. It makes sense to share my response here:
No, I wouldn't keep them if that were the case.
It is kind of strange, the white noise/hiss sound disappears at around 1-2 feet, but there is a whine (upper midrange?) that sounds like a pot on the stove if there is a little water on the bottom as it is heating up (at least on the newer flat eyes).
I just listened to it, and once I've tuned in on it, I am about 9' away when it starts to drop out of my perception.
However, if I an 9' away and listen for it, it takes around 30 seconds to find and confirm it. If I did not know it was there, I don't think it would find me (as in I would realize the noise was present) unless I was 6' or closer!. This is with nothing in the house running to make noise, and I live far from traffic noise.
It is probably not a bad amp in a normal application, but the horn can be merciless in its ability to project detail!
But as far as listening to music, I think I would need to be 6' out, with a pause of 30 seconds in the music, and no AC, fridge, etc, and to be trying to find a noise to notice!
So no, I don't think I would ever notice it listening to music at low to moderate levels!
This is in the same range as the noise servo motors make, and I was surprised in the lab I used to run that the servo motor noise (which came and went depending on the position the motor was in - these were coordinate measuring machines) bothered me, but two girls (one late 20's and other early 30's) could not even hear it until I pointed it out to them! My hearing has certainly deteriorated with age, but for whatever reason, it seems to have stayed pretty good in this particular frequency range (hearing tests confirm that). There may be some higher frequency component that younger ears might detect which I don't hear at all.
I can add that if these would be a fail for near-field (~3') listening, but don't imagine anyone using these towers as near-field.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis