NAD 906 amp Bridging question

C

checky

Audiophyte
I'm following the directions for bridging in the manual to power a left and right speaker. My question is for the preamp RCA cables going to the Input on the amp, do I plug in one only on each bridged pair or plug in both? If only one, should I use the white for left channel and red for right channel?
NAD 906.jpg

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe explain your setup in more detail so others can give the best advice

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

When the two channels are bridged, then only one input is needed - not two. It appears that the dotted line indicates which one to use.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Often when an amplifier is bridged there are some negative points, even though it has the potential of delivering higher power..
1. A bridged amplifier typically does not like driving low impedance/low sensitivity loudspeakers
2. The load presented to a bridged amplifier is significantly lower than 8 Ohms, which can cause the amplifier to mis-behave and its protection circuitry may be activated
3. When an 2-channel amplifier is bridged, both of its output terminals (+ & -) are above ground so it is not compatible with certain external switchers that use common ground

If U truly want more power than try it 1st, and compare the sound quality between bridged and unbridged..

Just my $0.02... ;)

C

checky

Audiophyte
Maybe explain your setup in more detail so others can give the best advice
Running a pair of Canton Ergo 611 DC full range tower speakers with a 1978 Pioneer SX-1080 120wpc receiver, a Canton 12" passive sealed Plus C sub, era 1984 qpprox. 2 Jamo Art A510 wall mounted "presence" speakers,, a 10" Velodyne active sub and two 1973 era Rectilinear 3 lowboys with a 12" woofer and at least 4 tweeters and a midrange within each.
When the two channels are bridged, then only one input is needed - not two. It appears that the dotted line indicates which one to use.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thank you Wayne, does it matter if I use the white or red RCA cable?

C

checky

Audiophyte
Why are you bridging particularly?
I need more power to drive two 1973 era Rectilinear 3 lowboys.....would I be better off pulling the jumpers from a Marantz 2245 I have and using it as a power amp.....?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I need more power to drive two 1973 era Rectilinear 3 lowboys.....would I be better off pulling the jumpers from a Marantz 2245 I have and using it as a power amp.....?
Why the hell you're still using a relic like the 2245 is a separate issue. :) Why do you need more power particularly, as that generally is a trade off for lower impedance capabilities....what impedance are those old speakers?

C

checky

Audiophyte
Why the hell you're still using a relic like the 2245 is a separate issue. :) Why do you need more power particularly, as that generally is a trade off for lower impedance capabilities....what impedance are those old speakers?
I'm a design on a dime audiophile and can't afford new expensive power amps or pre/pros....my newest amp/pre/pro is a 2001 Denon 2803 90wpc which is essentially my preamp.....I run about 11 speakers in my small extra bedroom mancave so I need lots of power and lots of input/output options.....in conclusion, I don't have enough money at this time to get something like an Outlaw, Paramount, Rega, newer NAD, etc.

C

checky

Audiophyte
The impedance on the Rectilinear 3 lowboys is 8 ohm

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm a design on a dime audiophile and can't afford new expensive power amps or pre/pros....my newest amp/pre/pro is a 2001 Denon 2803 90wpc which is essentially my preamp.....I run about 11 speakers in my small extra bedroom mancave so I need lots of power and lots of input/output options.....in conclusion, I don't have enough money at this time to get something like an Outlaw, Paramount, Rega, newer NAD, etc.
Woah there. You have old 2ch gear with that Pioneeer and Marantz but are running 11 speakers in a small room? Sounds like a lot of crazy going on there....

C

checky

Audiophyte
Woah there. You have old 2ch gear with that Pioneeer and Marantz but are running 11 speakers in a small room? Sounds like a lot of crazy going on there....
I don't like ear bleeding volume....I like and need multiple speakers all around me at low to medium volume....never use audio for TV or DVD, only great music

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't like ear bleeding volume....I like and need multiple speakers all around me at low to medium volume....never use audio for TV or DVD, only great music
Volume is relative to the setting of the master volume control and if you have speakers setup correctly for surround will be pretty seamless....even if matrixing 2ch audio to multich audio.

ps since you have only old 2ch gear, the multiple speaker setups aren't ideal. Putting lipstick on a pig more than anything with that old 2ch stuff.

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you Wayne, does it matter if I use the white or red RCA cable?
Well, I would assume that you would want to use white for the left channel, and red for the right. Seems painfully obvious, so maybe I’m missing something?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis