Lost in Space Netflix

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I had a long flight to San Francisco, so I downloaded the first three episodes of lost in space on Netflix. Being a fan of the original series, I did not Have high expectations especially after the poor movie that came out with Matt LaBlanc.

I could not have been more wrong. The production value of this series is on par with any A-list movie. Fantastic special effects, Very good acting by most the cast. Even though it’s a different take on the story it’s done very well it made my four hour flight less painful.

If you’re of diehard fan of the original series you may not like the story changes quite as much, but even on its own it stands as an excellent Science Fiction addition to Netflix.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just finished S1. Definitely nice effects and beats heck out of the original series and reboot movie. But the thinking/writing could be improved I think and my overall impression is more of a meh.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
We are having a really hard time just getting through the first episode. The original was a light, fun, Star Trek TOS campy kind of show. This one seems to want to be a drama. Trailer made it look good, but that first episode needs to get you hooked and it hasn't.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
We are having a really hard time just getting through the first episode. The original was a light, fun, Star Trek TOS campy kind of show. This one seems to want to be a drama. Trailer made it look good, but that first episode needs to get you hooked and it hasn't.
Interesting I was just the opposite, I have only gotten through the first 3 episodes but I like the new robot origin story. It took me a minute to realize the dad is the lead actor from Black Sails

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to like campy comedies. But I hate them now. Serious drama is all I want to see.

I've never seen the original campy series.

I've only seen episode 1 of the new series. It just feels like the chemistry of the family is off.

I like the serious drama of the show. So will give it at least 1 more episode. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I used to like campy comedies. But I hate them now. Serious drama is all I want to see.

I've never seen the original campy series.

I've only seen episode 1 of the new series. It just feels like the chemistry of the family is off.

I like the serious drama of the show. So will give it at least 1 more episode. :D
They stick mostly to the serious side but have the kids doing some dumb stuff for excitement. I grew up on the original series, was one of my favorites :) Definitely campy in comparison.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
watched E2 and feel it picked up a little, but still slow IMO. Started E3, still giving it a shot.

I LIKED the campy original, but I was a kid then too...now it is more nostalgic like ST:TOS, but this one kept little from the original but the premise and characters. Parker Posey as "Dr. Smith" is interesting, will see if that is a good or bad thing. She suits the nature of that character. Don't mind the interaction between the robot and Will, but still feels like it is dragging along a bit and I feel that after 2 episodes, I should not feel that way.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
“Doing stupid things” and “dragging along” are definitely my 2 pet peeves. :D

Another one is “lack of Chemistry” among the characters.

Anyone feel that the Robinsons lack family chemistry?

Does having an adopted child (instead of biological) make for a better drama?

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I've watched the first 2 episodes...meh is my rating for quality of content. Another dysfunctional family show is so boring. The shows video/audio quality is very good IMO. I'll give another episode or two a go but close to jumping the shark for me.

D

Dsav101

Audioholic Intern
Ehh it's pretty good so far IMHO. Watching with my 11 year old and he seems to get pretty engrossed in it. Personally, I am not a huge sci-fan fan even with the nostalgia of the original.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
“Doing stupid things” and “dragging along” are definitely my 2 pet peeves. :D

Another one is “lack of Chemistry” among the characters.

Anyone feel that the Robinsons lack family chemistry?

Does having an adopted child (instead of biological) make for a better drama?

Another one is “lack of Chemistry” among the characters

Not sure you point here, the whole lack of chemistry between the family is part of what is played off in the series.
  • It centers around the husband and wife who have been separated because he is in the military and there was a lot of friction between the parents even before he left so I didn't expect much Chemistry between the 2.
  • Same goes for the kids and father who don't know each other very well. Family chemistry shouldn't be there yet, they play that well IMO. In later episodes you see the family chemistry start to develop, especially when the kids have to work together with the robot.
Does having an adopted child (instead of biological) make for a better drama
  • To my knowledge, they don't say she was adopted, as it is often referred to as "before he came it the picture" but never explained (I could be mistaken only 7 episodes in)
  • I call this the DISNEY Rule, you need to make a series more "PC" to reflect today's society, it's done in Marvel Movies, DC, Star Wars etc., the list goes on

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe they should have a gender ID kid? ;) :D
Haven't seen it yet but will try it out, thanks.
They need to represent
1. African Americans
2. Asian Americans
3. Hispanic Americans
4. Gays and lesbians
5. Handicaps
6. The elderly

:eek: :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It is interesting how we all like and have fond memories of the old Lost In Space.
I don't remember how old I was when I quit watching it, but old enough to know it had serious flaws!

But, there wasn't much competition in the sci-fi genre and this was when we had 2, 3, or if really lucky, 4 or 5 channels to choose from!

The old version would never make it in today's TV world! I don't know if reruns are available, but I wouldn't mind watching an episode or two just to compare watching it with "adult eyes" to my memories of it as a kid.

But no way would I actually want to watch the entire series over, it was too stupid:

Dr. Smith should have been killed or left behind in any real world! I don't remember him having any value to their operation (he was, after all, a stowaway). In any real world, after the second time he jeopardized the family/mission, he would have had an "accident". If you are out in space with no support, you can't tolerate sociopaths!

Lets have a super-strong homicidal android and give him a three word vocabulary of "Crush, Kill, Destroy" and require that he talk incessantly! Yeah, that'll make a great episode!!!

Like I say, it was a favorite show as a kid, but it was a truly crappy series!

Oh, and Judy was kind of hot!

And Penny was a 6 year old's worst stereotype of a "stupid whiny girl".

I guess the show was designed for young boys to relate to Will Robinson. The four Adults were usually busy being adults while Dr. Smith, Will, and sometimes Penny were "in play" for the actual story-line, so Will was the only decent one of that group (with the aid of the robot who was designed to go into an arm-flailing panic when danger presented itself).

Yeah, it'd annoy the crap out of me today!!! But, ahh the memories!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It is interesting how we all like and have fond memories of the old Lost In Space.
I don't remember how old I was when I quit watching it, but old enough to know it had serious flaws!

But, there wasn't much competition in the sci-fi genre and this was when we had 2, 3, or if really lucky, 4 or 5 channels to choose from!

The old version would never make it in today's TV world! I don't know if reruns are available, but I wouldn't mind watching an episode or two just to compare watching it with "adult eyes" to my memories of it as a kid.

But no way would I actually want to watch the entire series over, it was too stupid:

Dr. Smith should have been killed or left behind in any real world! I don't remember him having any value to their operation (he was, after all, a stowaway). In any real world, after the second time he jeopardized the family/mission, he would have had an "accident". If you are out in space with no support, you can't tolerate sociopaths!

Lets have a super-strong homicidal android and give him a three word vocabulary of "Crush, Kill, Destroy" and require that he talk incessantly! Yeah, that'll make a great episode!!!

Like I say, it was a favorite show as a kid, but it was a truly crappy series!

Oh, and Judy was kind of hot!

And Penny was a 6 year old's worst stereotype of a "stupid whiny girl".

I guess the show was designed for young boys to relate to Will Robinson. The four Adults were usually busy being adults while Dr. Smith, Will, and sometimes Penny were "in play" for the actual story-line, so Will was the only decent one of that group (with the aid of the robot who was designed to go into an arm-flailing panic when danger presented itself).

Yeah, it'd annoy the crap out of me today!!! But, ahh the memories!
So what's your verdict on this new version? :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
They need to represent
1. African Americans
2. Asian Americans
3. Hispanic Americans
4. Gays and lesbians
5. Handicaps
6. The elderly

:eek: :D
Yes!
But that may be a very small list of qualified folks for space travel. :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So far seen two first episodes. Writing, Acting and Directing all could use some very serious help. But after the disaster of the first episode, both literally and figuratively - I think the second one it picks up just a bit.
Personal Pet peeve:
Small detail, but felt really annoying is in the second episode, the scene where Mom leaks some confidential data in exchange for a favor (likely some hacking was involved) - she clearly uses fairly old Panasonic Toughbook. Really ?? Best of 22nd-century tech is a 100-year-old laptop?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched the first two episodes and it seems hoaky for lack of a better description.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I tried watching episode 2 today. I couldn’t even get past the chicken scene. :D

If my life is dangling before my eyes, somehow I don’t think I’d be cracking jokes at a chicken.

I finished watching “The Terror” instead.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I tried watching episode 2 today. I couldn’t even get past the chicken scene. :D

If my life is dangling before my eyes, somehow I don’t think I’d be cracking jokes at a chicken.

I finished watching “The Terror” instead.
Honest to god, I can't stand scheming "Dr" "Smith". 3rd episode I had to rewind so much to avoid cringe-worthy imitation of Helena Bonham Carter role Sweeney Todd's as Mrs Lovett.
I'm done with it for now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis