My first attempt - “home theater”

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I guess the guy who sold me the MLS also doesnt know what he’s talking about.
He specifically told me the sources have built in amps for the woofers....and I’ll just need to buy a separate amps for the ESLs.

I guess, all this time, I was under that impression.

All wrong!

The sources doesn’t have any built in amps at all :(

My crown 2502, are feeding both the ESL and 8” woofer is the true answer!
Right!
ML does make some with a built in amp for the woofer. The Vantage is an example (it is essentially my Vista, but the next step up, with the addition of an active (instead of passive) woofer using a 200W ICE amp).

Last edited:
A

Antonio Grajo

Audioholic Intern
Right!
ML does make some with a built in amp for the woofer. The Vantage is an example (it is essentially my Vista, but the next step up, with the addition of an active woofer using a 200W ICE amp).

Well, thank you for enlightening me today!

I guess, I’m glad that I went with crown 2502 then! Lol

A

Antonio Grajo

Audioholic Intern
Not clipping is good but does sound like you still had some room to go....these amps are fully intended to be run with gain set at full, you're just limiting the amp otherwise. You may not need it set to full depending on the pre-out output levels from the avr....
Bro, I turned up the gain of the crown 2502 last night to max, and sounded great and no clipping.

Unfortunately this morning, while everything is off (except the MLS), and the room was dead quiet I noticed both towers had a slight buzz/hum in them :/

The buzz/hum disappeared according to my ears not until the amp gain is down to 2pm knob setting.

So I guess I’ll just keep it at that gain setting

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bro, I turned up the gain of the crown 2502 last night to max, and sounded great and no clipping.

Unfortunately this morning, while everything is off (except the MLS), and the room was dead quiet I noticed both towers had a slight buzz/hum in them :/

The buzz/hum disappeared according to my ears not until the amp gain is down to 2pm knob setting.

So I guess I’ll just keep it at that gain setting
You might try lifting the ground on the amp to see if ground loop hum is the issue (with a cheater plug, not recommended as a long term solution). If it's more a hiss that can be a reason to keep gain down.

A

Antonio Grajo

Audioholic Intern
You might try lifting the ground on the amp to see if ground loop hum is the issue (with a cheater plug, not recommended as a long term solution). If it's more a hiss that can be a reason to keep gain down.

All of my gear is plugged into the power conditioner, and that unit is connected to a single AC unit. Will that cause ground loop?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've never used a power conditioner, not sure how they are at combatting such (and I'd be more concerned about it adding problems for amps). Something like a tv or internet cable feed into your system can bypass such and introduce ground loop hum (depending on how that was grounded in your home).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m curious how you like the Sony X700 player so far as it is very new. I have the X800 but I wouldn’t mind another 4K player that can also play sacd in my 2nd system.

A

Antonio Grajo

Audioholic Intern
I’m curious how you like the Sony X700 player so far as it is very new. I have the X800 but I wouldn’t mind another 4K player that can also play sacd in my 2nd system.
So far so good!

It’s my very first 4K player so I really can’t compare it to anything.

It’s very basic, and doesn’t even have a screen for visuals.

It loads 4K movies fast tho.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis