Headphones for games, movies and music

T

Tigfur

Audiophyte
Hi,
i will try to keep it short, as i tent to write too much. (EDIT: i failed, so if you dont want to read this all - I am simply looking for comfy headphones with superb sound quality, that have a surround sound, a good microphone and can connect to all PC, phone and tv easily with no lag but perhaps wireless nevertheless)

I have recently become an owner of the Bose QuietComfort 35 and it has opened a world of headphones for me. (got it for a great price)

Quickly i realized that these headphones werent made for what me and my brother would intent to use them for.
Here are things that i like and dislike about them:
+ Noise reduction
+ Easily connects to anything, either with cable or with BT
+ Work well as a handsfree for my phone
+ Comfort
- using BT tey have a serious lag (Cant be used for games or movies at all) They do not even have APTX LL so there is no way to solve that.
- Even if they did, using them while also using the mic will automatically change to handfree and the sound goes out of the window (Is that a problem with every BT?)
- Connecting through cable doesnt use the internal microphone (can be solved with an on cable mic... and i am probably gonna try that but its not ideal) and i cant control a pc with its buttons.

I havent mentioned sound quality as i find it OK, not bad and not great.

I found all of that first after i got them and now i am thinking of making an upgrade, this time taking in the equasion what i plan to use them for.

I do not walk outside with headphones on, which the Bose is primarily focused on and does well.

I would like to get some headphones that have the good qualities of these plus solve the problems i have. My use would be:
Games - Using a pc, i would like game effects have some punch. I would also really like to have a surround sound, that sounds like a great feature in headphones. I really have no idea how that works though, does one get five 3,5 cables with that? :D I havent quite read up on those technologies.
Sound quality should stay even while using a mic. If the imc had a noise reduction that would be great. Cable or wireless doesnt matter for this purpose, each have they cons and pros so i will consider both.

Music - using both pc/laptop and mobile phones, here a wireless one would be better. I would like it to have a very good true sound, nothing overbassed and nothing too weak. Id like the sound to be clear. With the Bose i always feel like the sound is a little muffled (especially with songs that have many instruments). hearing as little as possible with the headphones would be a good thing.
The Bose ROCKS in my open office work enviroment! Would be great if the replacement kept the noise away just like that. It makes calls very simple, even in a loud enviroment i can understand clearly.

Movies - No lag, a surround sound would be of benefit here as well, there is no need for a mic and to go wireless would be better. Movies can be both played from a pc and from a TV, i do not currently own a smart TV but upgrades may come in future.

For all of the uses above comfort is also important, The bose is not bad i can wear them for hours. Still i feel it could be better.

I had some ideas that solve some of the problems but also create new ones...

One could use an external microphone attached to good music headphones (i guess that would require more cables)

One could use an APTX LL BT adapter with wired headphones - Solves the TV distance issue, but doesnt solve the wireless microphone issue.

There are some wireless options outside of BT but im not sure how i would connect those to my phone or a TV.

The question is: Does something exist that fullfills all of these requirements? Budget would be somewhere around the current price of the bose QC35. I dont really care about price as long as the value is great.

Thank you for your help if you have read all the way down here! Any input is appreciated, i am a newbie.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
T

Tigfur

Audiophyte
I have done some more research and it seems that rather than getting surround headphones it is better to get good quality headphones and use some kind of surround source (not sure what that would be, an amp or a usb sound card?) So if that is true, i could perhaps get something like that and use the bose with a modmic?
That might also solve the problem that using cablle while turned off the bose doesnt use its amps and sounds worse?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I have done some more research and it seems that rather than getting surround headphones it is better to get good quality headphones and use some kind of surround source (not sure what that would be, an amp or a usb sound card?) So if that is true, i could perhaps get something like that and use the bose with a modmic?
That might also solve the problem that using cablle while turned off the bose doesnt use its amps and sounds worse?
Well, you can have software to do it or usb soundcard to do it. Imo you will be fine without it. You could get O2DAC combo but that is not necessary either. Those Bose headphones wont offer good positional sound for gaming, you are better with Sennheiser HD598/HD558 for positional sound. Positional sound is the most important for gaming.

T

Tigfur

Audiophyte
Do i understand it correctly that they have the virtual surround integrated? They are only a 3,5mm jack though, how does that work? What kind of qualities am i supposed to look for?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Surround in headphones is gimmick.
The OP specified gaming as one of the requirement, while you are correct that surround sound in headphone is a gimmick when used with music, it's really big plus in a first person shooter. It's why Audeze's upcoming Mobius gaming cans include not only surround, but also a head tracking sensor.

On the same subject (gaming), gaming headsets usually include a mic which will affect the choice of DAC/Amp. It's my understanding that when using analog headsets that the mic and the headphones must be plugged into the same device. This maybe incorrect but that is my understanding.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

The OP specified gaming as one of the requirement, while you are correct that surround sound in headphone is a gimmick when used with music, it's really big plus in a first person shooter. It's why Audeze's upcoming Mobius gaming cans include not only surround, but also a head tracking sensor.

On the same subject (gaming), gaming headsets usually include a mic which will affect the choice of DAC/Amp. It's my understanding that when using analog headsets that the mic and the headphones must be plugged into the same device. This maybe incorrect but that is my understanding.
I have not heard the Audeze you refer to, but all other gaming headphones I know are just a marketing trick and good pair of regular headphones will do better with positional sound. Marketing refers always to surround sound when selling gaming headsets when they in reality mean positional sound. There is no real surround in headphones that I'm aware of unless Audeze has really got their thing right. Positional sound capabilities are what matter for gaming.

Why would it matter if the headphones and mic are connected to "same" device? They will be paired on software level if they are not connected on "same" device and you wont be able to tell it.

T

Tigfur

Audiophyte
Indeed, it is positional sound what i am after, but also a good sound quality in its own (punchy explosions in games and a clean true sound for music, if that exists)
Surround as in left right, center for only voice and back for only noise makes no sense for headphones, but some movies are made like that so i would like to hear it the way its intended.
There seem to be "real" surround headsets with several speakers and "virtual" ones that use AMPs or so (again i have no idea) to make up for it.
From what i've read, there are mixed opinions about both solutions.

I specified gaming as the intended use, it does not have to look like gaming, have RGB lights or anything :) I dont care about style.

The sound quality should be better than the Bose QC35 or its not worth an upgrade. Perhaps with some sound card or amp i could make the Bose have positional sound too and later use that solution for any new headphones - again i have no idea how it actually works.

I do like the noise cancelling and if not that, i think the phones should at least be able to keep the noise out, that means i probably need closed headphones?

If i go wired the microphone can have its own cable or be plugged in via an adapter, thats not a problem. For movies i can use a BT adapter and dont need a mic.
If the headphones with mic are BT the problem with handsfree has to be solved.
There are some radio solutions though? I dont know much about that.
For work calls the handsfree quality is ok, there i enjoy the fact that i can freely walk around though.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Indeed, it is positional sound what i am after, but also a good sound quality in its own (punchy explosions in games and a clean true sound for music, if that exists)
Surround as in left right, center for only voice and back for only noise makes no sense for headphones, but some movies are made like that so i would like to hear it the way its intended.
There seem to be "real" surround headsets with several speakers and "virtual" ones that use AMPs or so (again i have no idea) to make up for it.
From what i've read, there are mixed opinions about both solutions.

I specified gaming as the intended use, it does not have to look like gaming, have RGB lights or anything :) I dont care about style.

The sound quality should be better than the Bose QC35 or its not worth an upgrade. Perhaps with some sound card or amp i could make the Bose have positional sound too and later use that solution for any new headphones - again i have no idea how it actually works.

I do like the noise cancelling and if not that, i think the phones should at least be able to keep the noise out, that means i probably need closed headphones?

If i go wired the microphone can have its own cable or be plugged in via an adapter, thats not a problem. For movies i can use a BT adapter and dont need a mic.
If the headphones with mic are BT the problem with handsfree has to be solved.
There are some radio solutions though? I dont know much about that.
For work calls the handsfree quality is ok, there i enjoy the fact that i can freely walk around though.
You are best of having separate wireless headphones if you really need one. I doubt you will get better positional sound out of those Bose. Open back headphones have better positional sound than closed back, thus I recommended the HD598/HD558 for gaming. If you want closed back I would look for Beyerdynamic DT770. Any of these should do great for gaming / music / movies, tho the 2 first wont have punchy bass as they are neutral headphones but they have really accurate sound, HD598/HD558 should have better positional sound over DT770 tho. So you have to make some choices, there is no perfect package you are looking for.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I have not heard the Audeze you refer to, but all other gaming headphones I know are just a marketing trick and good pair of regular headphones will do better with positional sound. Marketing refers always to surround sound when selling gaming headsets when they in reality mean positional sound. There is no real surround in headphones that I'm aware of unless Audeze has really got their thing right. Positional sound capabilities are what matter for gaming.
Unfortunately no one outside of Audeze has heard their upcoming gaming headset and I'm not endorsing it, just using it as an example. I do game a lot (probably too much) and positional sound would be really nice to have again.

Why would it matter if the headphones and mic are connected to "same" device? They will be paired on software level if they are not connected on "same" device and you wont be able to tell it.
I know that works with USB but I'm told with analog that it can create an electrical issue. My source of info is an EE acquaintance but he may be full of it and I'll have to test it for myself - should have tested it for myself before saying anything.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Got them today. It took me whole 2 seconds to realize absolutely hugely weirdly bloated bass.
Absolutely not even close to my $21 (wired) Sennheiser HD-201. Not even in the same galaxy.
I've tried different tracks, different sources, even connected to my desktop D1 dac.
These going back to Amazon.
I eq mine and they sound fine. I also changed the pads and not as bassy. I mostly use them for movies and TV shows at night with my Android box. I think they are great with dialogue. Crisp and clear. For music I eq them and they sound good. I bet they are good with gaming as well. I think they are a great value especially half the price. I may even get a backup.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Unfortunately no one outside of Audeze has heard their upcoming gaming headset and I'm not endorsing it, just using it as an example. I do game a lot (probably too much) and positional sound would be really nice to have again.

I know that works with USB but I'm told with analog that it can create an electrical issue. My source of info is an EE acquaintance but he may be full of it and I'll have to test it for myself - should have tested it for myself before saying anything.
My guess, "if" there is a problem, then it would most likely be related to different grounding points.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I eq mine and they sound fine. I also changed the pads and not as bassy. I mostly use them for movies and TV shows at night with my Android box. I think they are great with dialogue. Crisp and clear. For music I eq them and they sound good. I bet they are good with gaming as well. I think they are a great value especially half the price. I may even get a backup.
Sure, the mids and highs were NOT terrible, but EQing is not something I could use in all applications/systems, which I'm looking to use these. As is , out of the box these are no go for me. I wish the bass boost would be optional with option to turn off somehow. I'd admit for price they are fairly comfortable and at $25 do represent good value, except the overwhelming bass

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

If you are getting problems like that you have grounding issue somewhere, if grounding is correct you wont have any issues. Sometimes it is really hard to tell where the problem is tho.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Sure, the mids and highs were NOT terrible, but EQing is not something I could use in all applications/systems, which I'm looking to use these. As is , out of the box these are no go for me. I wish the bass boost would be optional with option to turn off somehow. I'd admit for price they are fairly comfortable and at $25 do represent good value, except the overwhelming bass
You may want to try different pads It may help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis