Newb advice for which speaker cable.

R

Roxanne

Audiophyte
Hi all,

No doubt its been asked a million times, but cant seem to find a thread directed at just this simple question.

System info: Roksan K3 integrated amp & Dali opticon 6 speakers.

Any info and recommendations greatly appreciated.

2 x 3m cable. Off the top of my head after much searching I thought about the BlackII. (just on a review) But as youve probably guessed im pretty clueless.
Its basically a question as to whether I need to be in at least a certain price range, or are there a wide range that are suitable without compromise.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have no idea what a BlackII is but it if it has a name like that it usually means that it's simply overpriced nonsense. I see some silly wire called Tellurium Q Black II that is very much overpriced.

Try this article https://www.audioholics.com/diy-audio/home-theater-prewire-basics/selecting-the-correct-wire.html

This is a good site for reading up on speaker wire, and use the handy speaker wire table http://roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

You can buy good assembled cables from Blue Jeans Cable (.com) or Amazon or Monoprice, or buy bulk wire from your local hardware store, too.

R

Roxanne

Audiophyte
I have no idea what a BlackII is but it if it has a name like that it usually means that it's simply overpriced nonsense. I see some silly wire called Tellurium Q Black II that is very much overpriced.

Try this article https://www.audioholics.com/diy-audio/home-theater-prewire-basics/selecting-the-correct-wire.html

This is a good site for reading up on speaker wire, and use the handy speaker wire table http://roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

You can buy good assembled cables from Blue Jeans Cable (.com) or Amazon or Monoprice, or buy bulk wire from your local hardware store, too.
Thank you very much for the reply.
You were right with the Tellurium Q being the cable I mentioned.
I know these types of questions can be annoying for experienced users so I really appreciate the info.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know these types of questions can be annoying for experienced users so I really appreciate the info.
No problem. Glad you're asking questions! Way too much cable/interconnect nonsense in this hobby....among others.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I just use 12 gauge for everything. I did make some monster 8 gauge wires out of a set of long jumper cables I had that the crappy Positive clamp broke on. I sold them to a friend when I moved my system to another room and they weren't long enough. I heard no difference when I put the new 12 gauge cables on my fronts in the original room vs the huge ones. 12 foot of 12 gauge and 10 feet of 8 shouldn't make any magic, and it didn't. The only magic is inside some people's heads.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Read the Roger Russel link. He reports real world data and science on wire. Basically with boutique wires, you're paying for their name and nothing more.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Fair amount of woo claims there....and fairly high priced.
lovin, have you ever used their cables ? probably not....... as for the 'woo claims' , I don't pay attention, I've used their PC's for my amps for years and couldn't be happier. High priced ?? nonsense !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
lovin, have you ever used their cables ? probably not....... as for the 'woo claims' , I don't pay attention, I've used their PC's for my amps for years and couldn't be happier. High priced ?? nonsense !
Why would I? Looking at their ridiculous descriptions as you go from $36/pr to $99/pr for 2ft rca analog interconnects:

For $36 you get "Transparent, neutral, real-Life soundstage!"
For $49 you get "Smooth highs, liquid Mids, Real Bass Extension!"
For $99 you get "unequalled resolution and coherence across the frequency spectrum, along with awesome, awesome bass"

So you can attest to this increase in audible improvements with each model they allude to? $36 for 2 ft pair of interconnects is kinda pricey, and $99 more so. They may be nicely made, but does it make an audible difference?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Why would I? Looking at their ridiculous descriptions as you go from $36/pr to $99/pr for 2ft rca analog interconnects:

For $36 you get "Transparent, neutral, real-Life soundstage!"
For $49 you get "Smooth highs, liquid Mids, Real Bass Extension!"
For $99 you get "unequalled resolution and coherence across the frequency spectrum, along with awesome, awesome bass"

So you can attest to this increase in audible improvements with each model they allude to? $36 for 2 ft pair of interconnects is kinda pricey, and $99 more so. They may be nicely made, but does it make an audible difference?
of course you wouldn't , for the simple fact you wouldn't have anything to argue about !

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
We already have a thread by AH here to discuss the fluff cable stuff. Let's not pollute this thread too.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
We already have a thread by AH here to discuss the fluff cable stuff. Let's not pollute this thread too.
Agree, BUT it is another cable question...our FAVORITE topic lol. And I want in, well not really...but BJC is $35 for 2' hard to argue against another seller @$36...but I do agree, the first word I saw was transparent and I quickly closed the page.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Agree, BUT it is another cable question...our FAVORITE topic lol. And I want in, well not really...but BJC is $35 for 2' hard to argue against another seller @$36...but I do agree, the first word I saw was transparent and I quickly closed the page.
you like lovin obviously are unable to look past the 'fluff' , and like lovin you know NOTHING about their products.

I merely responded to the Op with a product that performs well, like the options you and the rest of the 'clan' like to promote (Blue Jeans, Monoprice, etc) all of which I agree too BTW.

I'm fully aware of the marketing aspect as it pertains to the 'audiophile' community and if this helps Frank sell more of his product, so what ! IMO his stuff is well constructed, does it's job and doesn't break the bank.....understood ?

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
you like lovin obviously are unable to look past the 'fluff' , and like lovin you know NOTHING about their products.

I merely responded to the Op with a product that performs well, like the options you and the rest of the 'clan' like to promote (Blue Jeans, Monoprice, etc) all of which I agree too BTW.

I'm fully aware of the marketing aspect as it pertains to the 'audiophile' community and if this helps Frank sell more of his product, so what ! IMO his stuff is well constructed, does it's job and doesn't break the bank.....understood ?
I can look past the fluff, but i still chuckle when I read transparent in a cable (all thanks to this forum, no really thanks) I do however think the $36 is a fair price as long as its terminated well (I should assume it is, but rule #1 is never assume) I will be taking another look as the price caught my eye. As stated, it is our favorite topic to discuss and it gets personal, I find it ridiculous yet hilarious.
My quick rundown from my view, RCA @2' I'm happy under $40. Some think $40 is too much, I don't, I frequently move equipment and anything 'cheap' loosens up over time, that's why I bumped up to the $40 range, haven't found one to crap out on me within that range.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Does Signal have actual explanations of the benefits outside of the fluff? When all I see is fluff I really don't care if he feels he needs to milk audiophools or not.

While I'm glad Signal does include some actual specs, it would be nice if they would explain why they matter rather than the 'phool language.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Some think $40 is too much, I don't, I frequently move equipment and anything 'cheap' loosens up over time, that's why I bumped up to the $40 range, haven't found one to crap out on me within that range.
LOL, I'm way past worrying about someone so cheap as be concerned about spending 40 bucks. As for 'moving equipment', I don't, I'd rather buy quality and enjoy my music.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Does Signal have actual explanations of the benefits outside of the fluff? When all I see is fluff I really don't care if he feels he needs to milk audiophools or not.
lovin, for Gods sakes get your head out of your ass. You are one argumentative individual, your mother not breast feed you enough ?

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I did have to do some research on fluff...guess who. We all lose the fluff war, its everywhere...
Screenshot_20180413-204432_Chrome.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis