UHD calibration help

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
LG UH6150, Xbox one s.
I used the built in calibration on the Xbox to calibrate what it offered, basics such as brightness backlight contrast, I used the cinema mode on the lg. It made a decent difference and have no complaints (looking to possibly using something else, but for now I'm very pleased with it)
I picked up my first 4k disk today, fifth element, and this is where my question starts. I started playing the movie and it looked wayyy too bright. I figured my 2yr old might have been playing with the remote so I checked the mode the tv was on. My cinema user is not an option, only a few preset uhd modes that thankfully I can edit. Question is, how do I get the uhd mode to edit? If I go back through with the Xbox calibration my tv only gives me the 'standard' display modes, the uhd modes are not available (only available when playing the 4k disk)
Do I need a 4k disk that contains calibration?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Have you considered a calibration disc? The under $200 self calibration units work pretty good. IIRC LG offers ISF access via the standard menu.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
LG UH6150, Xbox one s.
I used the built in calibration on the Xbox to calibrate what it offered, basics such as brightness backlight contrast, I used the cinema mode on the lg. It made a decent difference and have no complaints (looking to possibly using something else, but for now I'm very pleased with it)
I picked up my first 4k disk today, fifth element, and this is where my question starts. I started playing the movie and it looked wayyy too bright. I figured my 2yr old might have been playing with the remote so I checked the mode the tv was on. My cinema user is not an option, only a few preset uhd modes that thankfully I can edit. Question is, how do I get the uhd mode to edit? If I go back through with the Xbox calibration my tv only gives me the 'standard' display modes, the uhd modes are not available (only available when playing the 4k disk)
Do I need a 4k disk that contains calibration?
Try these settings. Rtings is a pretty good place to start.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Try these settings. Rtings is a pretty good place to start.
That was a big help. I was close on most from what I had done. The big change was the gamma and color temp. I had gamma at bt1886 I believe, and at 2.2 there was a slight improvement. I had temp at cool, but going back to warm2 smoothed out to a more natural image (I had initially set it to warm2 but it looked too red/amber, assuming with the other settings that helped)

With hdr I will go through and use these settings as a baseline to start and hope that gets me a little better than where it is now. One thing I hate is the soap opera effect, on hdr if it is turned off it gets grainy, so hopefully I can get that under control.
I know without pro calibration ill never be perfect, but this is also in a family room where the ambient light changes drastically during the day, but for any critical watching it is almost always dark. Again big thanks.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That was a big help. I was close on most from what I had done. The big change was the gamma and color temp. I had gamma at bt1886 I believe, and at 2.2 there was a slight improvement. I had temp at cool, but going back to warm2 smoothed out to a more natural image (I had initially set it to warm2 but it looked too red/amber, assuming with the other settings that helped)

With hdr I will go through and use these settings as a baseline to start and hope that gets me a little better than where it is now. One thing I hate is the soap opera effect, on hdr if it is turned off it gets grainy, so hopefully I can get that under control.
I know without pro calibration ill never be perfect, but this is also in a family room where the ambient light changes drastically during the day, but for any critical watching it is almost always dark. Again big thanks.
No problem. Their settings did great for my Sony. HDR stuff looks great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis