Why didn't they choose an AVR?

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
The point is it's silly to think that you can actually hear differences in amps when people can't even hear differences between midrange drivers which have real measurable FR differences in their response.
AVRs keep gaining more features, in many cases at the expense of the amplifier section.

The trouble with the statement "operating within their limits" is that AVRs and most amps do not have peak or other indicators when its limits are reached. I know that I am likely to listen to a pair of speakers driven by a quality power amp louder than an AVR. Not because it can go louder but because it sounds better louder. Some Bluetooth speakers are too loud at 70 dB. ;)

My brother-in-law's Revel F208 sound fantastic at levels that I consider very loud (mid 90 dB level) driven by his Parasound A21. He manages to get the amp hot on an open shelf.

Driven by the Outlaw M2200's, the F206's got harsh in the mid 80's. In this case, it may be due to the Class-G power supply.

So the considerations (as we know) are the speakers, the room, the listener. So my answer to the question "Why didn't they choose and AVR?" is because it did not meet their needs. AVR's can meet a person's needs but they will not meet my needs.

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
There are other ways to get bass. Sub(s) + mini-dsp can work very well.

- Rich
I think irV is right, ADTG probably is running the biggest RBH towers with his 20" Funks that he must have kept, oh and still with DEQ on with 0 offset.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
AVRs keep gaining more features, in many cases at the expense of the amplifier section.

The trouble with the statement "operating within their limits" is that AVRs and most amps do not have peak or other indicators when its limits are reached. I know that I am likely to listen to a pair of speakers driven by a quality power amp louder than an AVR. Not because it can go louder but because it sounds better louder. Some Bluetooth speakers are too loud at 70 dB. ;)

My brother-in-law's Revel F208 sound fantastic at levels that I consider very loud (mid 90 dB level) driven by his Parasound A21. He manages to get the amp hot on an open shelf.

Driven by the Outlaw M2200's, the F206's got harsh in the mid 80's. In this case, it may be due to the Class-G power supply.

So the considerations (as we know) are the speakers, the room, the listener. So my answer to the question "Why didn't they choose and AVR?" is because it did not meet their needs. AVR's can meet a person's needs but they will not meet my needs.

- Rich
Agreed Rich, my sentiments exactly.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hate to remind ADTG, iirc he had both at one time and got rid of them for the RBHs, that's crazy if you ask me.:D
ADTG likes his bass just so. That wasn't happening with the Revels or the KEFs.
Something like that, but it wasn’t any one particular factor.

I had dual Funk 18.0 Subs, so bass wasn’t lacking in my system.

But yeah, my idea of a full range tower has more bass control and dynamics than what I was getting - I wanted active bass control, not passive.

It was an idea I had of what constitutes the best system for me.

We all have a certain idea of what makes a perfect system for us.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I take a couple months off, come back and there's another controversial thread on the exact same subject posted by <eargiant...

Some things never change.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I take a couple months off, come back and there's another controversial thread on the exact same subject posted by <eargiant...

Some things never change.
Well it seems that the crowd loves these "controversial" threads.:D

So far over 5000 views and almost 250 posts (only about 10 are mine).

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Clicky

Not a single argument. Imagine that...
Hopefully that would have also been the case if I were the one that told you in post #7 of the thread you linked that "I have heard one set of SVS towers and I thought them boomy. I could not personally tolerate them."

Maybe I'm wrong but I get the feeling that you would not have been as civil in your response to me as you were to TLS Guy.

Unfortunately, sometimes forums are like a schoolyard...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hopefully that would have also been the case if I were the one that told you in post #7 of the thread you linked that "I have heard one set of SVS towers and I thought them boomy. I could not personally tolerate them."

Maybe I'm wrong but I get the feeling that you would not have been as civil in your response to me as you were to TLS Guy.

Unfortunately, sometimes forums are like a schoolyard...
To each his own. I don't find them boomy, but I have filters on them so perhaps it helps. My reply would have been the same to you as tls. Plus tls has earned some respect in my book and sets the bar a lot higher than most when it comes to transducers. He helps a lot more often than not. I come here to to gain and share knowledge and experience. Not to bicker over something that has already been proven.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
To each his own. I don't find them boomy, but I have filters on them so perhaps it helps. My reply would have been the same to you as tls. Plus tls has earned some respect in my book and sets the bar a lot higher than most when it comes to transducers. He helps a lot more often than not. I come here to to over something that has already been proven.
I've never heard them so I will reserve judgement until the day I do. I wish more people around here would do the same when it comes to gear they have never heard.

I do think provocative threads like this prod us to discuss, debate and learn. I know at least ACDTG learned something about slew rate in this thread and he learned something about SNR in the last thread. Maybe a few others learned something new also.

So anyway, not trying to be argumentative but how exactly was your first post in this thread (#246) in line with coming here "to gain and share knowledge and experience. Not to bicker..." ? I guess a little pot stirring doesn't count.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I see nothing wrong with a little hashing out of ideas. I realize our society is shifting to an anti-argument culture. Especially on more serious issues than speaker amps.

I would point out there is more to this than audibility. Reliability and versatility are important too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis