Tips for ripping CDs w/o PC or laptop

J

Joeporch

Enthusiast
Hello group. After having seen about a 1000 of Genes YouTube videos it finally dawned on me that this may be the place to come for the answers I need. I tried elsewhere without much luck. My HT set up includes smartTV, surround processor/preamp and a couple of disc players. I also have a cd collection which I would like to convert into a digital jukebox. I would prefer to do this in a way that does NOT involve a PC or laptop. I do have a plan but I am not sure that it will work. If the plan does work, I don't know specifically which components I need. What I am thinking of using is a 1 or 2 tb nas for storage and a stand-alone disk drive for ripping ( I think I can get both together for around 250 on Amazon but more more specific recommendations are always welcome ). The final piece is what I am most unsure of. I am thinking of using a stick computer. Does anyone have experience with or knowledge of these things? What I need is some sort of basic processor whose sole function would be to run music software ( Rip, Organize, Access ). This would plug-in to the back of my smart TV which already has a digital connection to my processor, so no additional DAC is required. I realize that there are audio companies that make components for this purpose but at a cost 2-3 times higher or more. Any thoughts on fine-tuning my plan? Or perhaps a completely different and better plan? Thanks guys, your expertise is very much appreciated.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you should be able to get answers to that question. Unfortunately, I don't know enough to advise you on how to set up your system.

However, I can advise you to be as specific as possible in your post title.
For example, had you titled "Suggestions for playback of music files w/o using computer", your post would more quickly draw the people to help you.

I am not scolding you or anything, you did nothing wrong, just a tip for the future. A title like "Old guy trying to learn new tech" tends not to draw people unless they are bored or procrastinating (guilty)!

As is, just have a little patience and someone like @rojo (maybe?) will be along in time to help you out!

J

Joeporch

Enthusiast
Thanks. Makes perfect sense. Something for the next post. Meanwhile I wonder if I can amend my title.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
LOL!
Glad you didn't use my suggested title.
The (reading comprehension) force is not strong with me today!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Aside from using a pc you have something like a Bluesound Vault unit but a pc would be cheaper...what is the objection to using a pc? Are you using your smart tv to access the forum? Do you have a thread elsewhere on this subject? Seems familiar....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Aside from using a pc you have something like a Bluesound Vault unit but a pc would be cheaper...what is the objection to using a pc? Are you using your smart tv to access the forum? Do you have a thread elsewhere on this subject? Seems familiar....
No thread elsewhere!
His post count is 3 and he has posted here three times (at present).

J

Joeporch

Enthusiast
I consider a PC to be overkill. It is designed to have a million functions. I would prefer something more simple that will have just one function, running my music software.
As I mentioned in my original post, I am aware of the Vault and other similar machines. Among these the Vault is one of the more affordable, yet still triple the cost compared to my plan...To your next question.
Actually, yes an LG...And on to the last question.
And yes again. As already stated, I have tried to get answers elsewhere. Very little luck. Hoping I'll do better here.

BTW, I approve of your avatar, sir, indicates good taste. 45 yrs since the first time I heard that album and the logo still keeps popping up.

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
As far as I know I don't believe such an animal exists to convert standard cd disc tracks (WAV files) into MP3, FLAC, etc. digital files without using some type of software/app residing on ur PC/Laptop/Apple based computer. I could be wrong, it won't be the first time. :)

J

Joeporch

Enthusiast
As far as I know I don't believe such an animal exists to convert standard cd disc tracks (WAV files) into MP3, FLAC, etc. digital files without using some type of software/app residing on ur PC/Laptop/Apple based computer. I could be wrong, it won't be the first time. :)
Precisely my question. Can such software be loaded on to a computer stick? Several even come preloaded with Windows. Would that help?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Precisely my question. Can such software be loaded on to a computer stick? Several even come preloaded with Windows. Would that help?
There are USB sticks with a pre-loaded version of a Windows OS (operating system) on them and that u can add apps onto? And how do would u access this USB stick to give it instructions?

J

Joeporch

Enthusiast
There are USB sticks with a pre-loaded version of a Windows OS (operating system) on them and that u can add apps onto? And how do would u access this USB stick to give it instructions?
If you search computer stick on Amazon you'll find a whole page full of these. They are controlled by an ordinary ( wireless ) keyboard. As far as loading software I have no idea. Never used one. That's what I'm trying to find out from someone with experience.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Did a quick search & you're right. Sounds cumbersome from the quick research I did but I guess u found ur answer. Good luck.

J

Joeporch

Enthusiast
Did a quick search & you're right. Sounds cumbersome from the quick research I did but I guess u found ur answer. Good luck.
Cumbersome is the opposite of what I'm looking for. In what way do you find it cumbersome?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure a pc/laptop can do lots of things, or just the things you direct it to. You could also simply use a single disc player rather than several to simplify as well, eh? A Raspberry Pi or Intel NUC may reduce the computer form factor while still allowing OS/software flexibility for the functions and hardware control you want. Personally I find a laptop with an optical drive to work fine at much less cost than something like the Bluesound thing, altho I use the laptop for a variety of other things as well. A laptop with a usb mic with REW software also becomes a powerful portable measuring tool in terms of other audio usefulness.

Aside from the Bluesound still haven't seen much in the way of cost-effective solutions as compared to simply using a laptop. Just economies of scale and demand will dictate that, at least it doesn't seem there's a lot of demand for something like that with so many of us having good computer setups already. Member @Ken10759 is one who had similar requirements (didnt want a computer on) and ended up with the Bluesound Vault....

There are cd ripping services, too, altho I've never looked into one and have no idea of cost. Adding new discs could be a hassle, tho.

That is one of my favorite avatars (and records)....the gif is a bit more interesting, but doesn't seem to work on this forum.

I consider a PC to be overkill. It is designed to have a million functions. I would prefer something more simple that will have just one function, running my music software.
As I mentioned in my original post, I am aware of the Vault and other similar machines. Among these the Vault is one of the more affordable, yet still triple the cost compared to my plan...To your next question.
Actually, yes an LG...And on to the last question.
And yes again. As already stated, I have tried to get answers elsewhere. Very little luck. Hoping I'll do better here.

BTW, I approve of your avatar, sir, indicates good taste. 45 yrs since the first time I heard that album and the logo still keeps popping up.

J

Joeporch

Enthusiast
Sure . You could also simply use a single disc player rather than several to simplify as well, eh? A Raspberry Pi or Intel NUC may reduce the computer form factor while still allowing OS/software flexibility for the functions and hardware control you want. Personally I find a laptop with an optical drive to work fine at much less cost than something like the Bluesound thing, altho I use the laptop for a variety of other things as well. A laptop with a usb mic with REW software also becomes a powerful portable measuring tool in terms of other audio usefulness.

Aside from the Bluesound still as compared to simply using a laptop. Just economies of scale and demand will dictate that, at least it doesn't seem there's a lot of demand for something like that with so many of us having good computer setups already. Member @Ken10759 is one who had similar requirements (didnt want a computer on) and ended up with the Bluesound Vault....
"a pc/laptop can do lots of things, or just the things you direct it to" The same thing can be said about a new car. A new car

with ultra bright LED lights would work just fine to light up a dark spot in my backyard. If I had absolutely no intention

to drive anywhere, and no use for passenger side air bags, or ventilated seats or rearview camera or parking assist or
a steering wheel or tires ( The list goes on and on to include thousands of parts and features that I don't need, Just like a PC/laptop ), call me odd, but I would prefer to just use a simple floodlight.

"haven't seen much in the way of cost-effective solutions"...Try reading my initial post. Such a solution is exactly what I propose.

Intel nuc. Just a PC in a smaller box. Basically halfway between a full PC and a computer stick. IF this is the right direction, why stop halfway?

Raspberry pi. Because it is easily customizable, this would be my first choice. Unfortunately, I lack the necessary knowledge to go this route. When I see a parts/options list I feel like it is written in Martian. If I try to look up meanings, the definitions are given in further Martian. I think this may be the best option for some just not for me.

Ripping services. Very impractical. For the reasons you already mentioned plus I am not willing to ship this many CDs anywhere.
Sorry, new here. No idea why this showed up this way. All broken up and in italics when that's not what I intended. Just more proof that I really do need advice :)

Last edited:
J

Joeporch

Enthusiast
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, new here. No idea why this showed up all broken up this way.
You need to add your comments outside the "quotes". Could be the tv interface and the forum software don't make that clear.

I did take a look at some of those sticks, guess you'd stick it into a usb slot on your tv? Maybe with the right connectivity to a drive for ripping you could download something like EAC onto the stick and manage to direct the ripped file to the NAS drive with it.

Altho that stick sure seems to be a lot more than a flood light :).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis