Frequency limiter for sub

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
So it's the tuning frequency and cabinet size, then?
Why should it damage the driver, though, if excursion never exceeded (nor probably even reached) the maximum allowed for the driver?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
So it's the tuning frequency and cabinet size, then?
Why should it damage the driver, though, if excursion never exceeded (nor probably even reached) the maximum allowed for the driver?
It will fail because the diaphragm is not being given the correctly sized 'pillow' to push back on. You're not overdriving it, and it doesn't sound like you listen at absurd volumes, so it could be a reliable fart box for a while yet.

But to answer the question of the distinct sound you are hearing, yes, you need to confirm the cabinet volume is correct, and then return the port dimensions to rojo's spec.

Don't feel like you are losing content from 23 hz to 20 hz - those sounds, for most people, are felt rather than heard anyway!

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
I'm not sure if you misunderstood me or vice versa.
When I modified rojo's design, I changed both the cabinet size and the tuning frequency of the port. The cabinet volume and port match each other, but they're not ideal for the driver because I wanted a lower -3db point.

It's also practically impossible to modify the port size once it's cabinet is built because the MFD panels are glued.

As for "felt rather than heard", I was looking for bass that can be felt, not just heard. :)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not sure if you misunderstood me or vice versa.
When I modified rojo's design, I changed both the cabinet size and the tuning frequency of the port. The cabinet volume and port match each other, but they're not ideal for the driver because I wanted a lower -3db point.

It's also practically impossible to modify the port size once it's cabinet is built because the MFD panels are glued.

As for "felt rather than heard", I was looking for bass that can be felt, not just heard. :)
Sorry, I think I was trying too hard to not to offend you - the cabinet you built is the problem.

Rojo provided you a design, and you opted to modify it thinking, harmlessly, that seeking a lower F3 was not big deal. The result of which is the farting you are describing. The only way to fix that is to modify or rebuild the cabinet. And I suggest doing that before irreparable damage is caused to the driver.

As for feeling that bass: a subwoofer is a pressure source that is trying to propagate sound waves that are larger than the room itself. This induces high and low pressure areas between parallel boundaries that limit what can be heard, both when and where in the room. So while I applaud your attempt to push the envelope, the solution you seek would be to add the sufficient number of 'pressure sources' to achieve your desired effect.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis